Usyd timetable (1 Viewer)

chickencoop

HSC
So i decided to make a draft timetable of my most preferred times for classes and the first draft ended up looking like this...

http://imgur.com/a/fu6NB

I have the option of cramming one of the Wednesday sessions to Thursday afternoon from 2pm-5pm but then i will literally have no gaps between any of my classes on Thursday...

Just a quick question:

1- is it better to put as many classes into a single day as possible such that you barely get a single block off but may open up a few days of no classes; or is it better to leave gaps in your timetable for lunch/breaks etc (not sure how intense lectures etc can get and if i will need a break inbetween)

2- Is the workload manageable in my timetable? Mondays for example; i have 3 different subjects: Psych, Maths and Biology. Is it possible that each of these classes will have assignments due on the same day - ie- i have 3 assignments to hand in on Monday?

3- Also, is there a more preferable position to put tutorials/workshops/practicals? I have heard that Tutorials are like a recap of the weeks content, so if i put tutorials first thing in the morning, it wouldnt be of great help, would it?

4- Is there someone who can do my timetable for me... I have never been more annoyed at organising a timetable (and i am a person who likes to regularly make schedules) *Pulls hair out*

Any comments on my timetable? should i redo it and check for something better? r8/10 :) :p

Edit - yeah i know i have a lot of classes... Its the bare minimum of 24CP...

Last edited:

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
1. It's really up to your personal preferences.

2. Yes. Even if you do have to hand in assignments on the same day, work handed in earlier frees up your time later on.

3. No. Tutorials are generally a week behind lectures anyway. Put them wherever it suits you.

4. Like I said, build your schedule around whatever works for you. If you have other commitments at certain times, try to keep those free. If you'd prefer lunch breaks, schedule for those as well. There's no right or wrong here.

chickencoop

HSC
1. It's really up to your personal preferences.

2. Yes. Even if you do have to hand in assignments on the same day, work handed in earlier frees up your time later on.

3. No. Tutorials are generally a week behind lectures anyway. Put them wherever it suits you.

4. Like I said, build your schedule around whatever works for you. If you have other commitments at certain times, try to keep those free. If you'd prefer lunch breaks, schedule for those as well. There's no right or wrong here.
Should i think about making another draft timetable? Or is this one moderately ok..?

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
As long as you're happy with your free hours etc. you'll be fine. Either way, it's partly-generated by the system anyway taking into account your choices, so there's a chance you won't get your drafted timetable anyway.

Source: Been at uni for far too long at this point with terrible timetable luck.

chickencoop

HSC
As long as you're happy with your free hours etc. you'll be fine. Either way, it's partly-generated by the system anyway taking into account your choices, so there's a chance you won't get your drafted timetable anyway.

Source: Been at uni for far too long at this point with terrible timetable luck.
Well, looks like im gna try and change it up again, hopefully cramming everything into 2-3 days if possible..

iCrazyGuy

HSC
I could be wrong, but it seems that you haven't included all of your lectures - you have to do TWO 1-hour lectures per week for MATH1001 and MATH1002, and THREE 1-hour lectures per week for CHEM1001. For example, there are two lectures – one 11am Monday, one 11am Tuesday – for MATH1002. To my understanding, it isn't a case of choosing between these two, but doing BOTH. Unfortunately this will flesh your timetable out (if you want to go to most of the lectures, at least) and mean that you won't be able to cram it into anything less than 4 days :/ I'm only starting 1st year too though, so I could be wrong! I'm doing Science and not Psych but i'd be happy to do a suggested timetable for you if that'd help :)

chickencoop

HSC
I could be wrong, but it seems that you haven't included all of your lectures - you have to do TWO 1-hour lectures per week for MATH1001 and MATH1002, and THREE 1-hour lectures per week for CHEM1001. For example, there are two lectures – one 11am Monday, one 11am Tuesday – for MATH1002. To my understanding, it isn't a case of choosing between these two, but doing BOTH. Unfortunately this will flesh your timetable out (if you want to go to most of the lectures, at least) and mean that you won't be able to cram it into anything less than 4 days :/ I'm only starting 1st year too though, so I could be wrong! I'm doing Science and not Psych but i'd be happy to do a suggested timetable for you if that'd help :)
I'm not gonna lie. I only understood half of what you said

All i did was put all the different lectures i had into excel, so im not exactly sure what i may have missed.. I think i will take another look at my timetable but to my knowledge, ive selected 1 preference for each of my classes.. If you could do a suggest timetable for me, that would be absolutely wonderful!

chickencoop

HSC
Oh wait i know what you mean now... Some of my subjects have multiple classes, but the reason why i may have left them out in my timetable is because it happens something like this:

EG~
MATH1001 R19A (9-10am) Wks 1-9
MATH1001 R19A (9-10am) Wks 10-13

And because of something like this... Ive chosen to 'mash' them into 1 - so it doesnt look messy

iCrazyGuy

HSC
I quickly made these two based on your subjects; one gives you Wednesday off, and the other has 5 less jam-packed days. I used https://web.timetable.usyd.edu.au/chooseLabel.jsp to make them - type a subject code (e.g. CHEM1001) into the text box, then hit submit. The website shows how many lectures/tutorials/practicals/workshops you have to do for the subject, and which time slots for these you can choose from.

The available times may change between now and 12 Feb (when timetables are officially released), but by now I think most of the available classes shown on the website will stay available.

If you have any questions about the timetables or anything else please ask!

Attachments

Last edited:

chickencoop

HSC
I quickly made these two based on your subjects; one gives you Wednesday off, and the other has 5 less jam-packed days. I used https://web.timetable.usyd.edu.au/chooseLabel.jsp to make them - type a subject code (e.g. CHEM1001) into the text box, then hit submit. The website shows how many lectures/tutorials/practicals/workshops you have to do for the subject, and which time slots for these you can choose from.

The available times may change between now and 12 Feb (when timetables are officially released), but by now I think most of the available classes shown on the website will stay available.

If you have any questions about the timetables or anything else please ask!
wow that was fast haha. Thanks for this! I think i will also take a look at my classes again (not really a big fan of 8-9am classes) and see if i can make something similar to what you have made for me, Thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)