Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 90
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

  1. #26
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    577
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by sea-r-du View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where are final exam venues generally held at? On campus?
    Everywhere. You can be allocated to anywhere. From Abercrombie Business School, all the way to the vet building, and everywhere in between.
    sea-r-du likes this.

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts II, USYD

  2. #27
    Junior Member Frostguard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    121
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    So is it really true that USYD no longer accepts general mathematics for courses in 2019? This is my year so when I discovered mathemathics prerequisites, I was a bit disappointed because I wanted to study Psychology... this was my dream uni too

  3. #28
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    577
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostguard View Post
    So is it really true that USYD no longer accepts general mathematics for courses in 2019? This is my year so when I discovered mathemathics prerequisites, I was a bit disappointed because I wanted to study Psychology... this was my dream uni too ������
    Yeah, a band 4 in 2U has become the prerequisite for a ton of courses. The reason why psychology has the prerequisite is because of compulsory statistics.

    You can still enrol into Bachelor of Arts at USYD (which doesn't have the requirement), study psychology units (and if you want, some fundamental level maths) and internally transfer into Bachelor of Psychology after a year. (Or you can major and do honours under B. Arts all the way.)

    Alternatively you have the option of studying B. Psychology in other unis, such as UNSW, which doesn't have the requirement, and either transfer to USYD after a year or remain in that psychology degree.

    Good luck!
    Last edited by sida1049; 15 Mar 2017 at 8:07 AM.
    Frostguard likes this.

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts II, USYD

  4. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    854
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostguard View Post
    So is it really true that USYD no longer accepts general mathematics for courses in 2019? This is my year so when I discovered mathemathics prerequisites, I was a bit disappointed because I wanted to study Psychology... this was my dream uni too ������
    http://sydney.edu.au/study/admission...requisite.html

    Your year 11 has only just started. Can you step up?

  5. #30
    Cadet sea-r-du's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    sida1049, how are you finding your 2nd year maths subjects? I ask because I may do a maths (non-advanced) major instead of a stats
    Bachelor of Science, The University of Sydney

  6. #31
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    577
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by sea-r-du View Post
    sida1049, how are you finding your 2nd year maths subjects? I ask because I may do a maths (non-advanced) major instead of a stats
    I'm currently taking MATH2961 and STAT2911 right now (would totally take more maths but I'm balancing my economics major too).

    For me, MATH2961 so far has been fairly breezy, but not uninteresting (generalising anything to n-dimensions is pretty cool). Though we're still in fairly familiar territory, and I'm certain the course will get harder once we get up to the linear algebra part. A lot of students here are actually from the normal stream in first year, so a lot of unfamiliar faces.

    Of the ones I'm taking, STAT2911 is definitely the most difficult course right now. The lecturer goes through the content like lightning, but he's pretty good (a lot better than my first-year MATH1905 in my opinion). The content is quite interesting though, so I'm pretty content. The lecturer for STAT2011 is the same I had for MATH1905; he's not necessary bad, but you'll hear some conflicting opinions (I thought he was alright, but in general students tend to be more satisfied with him teaching STAT2011, from what I've gathered). STAT2011 seems to be a lot slower, and definitely dimensions easier than STAT2911.

    I totally recommend doing a maths major if you're interested. Statistics is great, but you'll need a lot of persistence because it's unfamiliar for a lot of students, and generally students tend to like maths lecturers more. Nonetheless if you're doing a statistics major, I totally recommend spending some units on maths as well (particularly MATH2061, and any other unit you might find interesting).

    Also, come to SUMS! Our maths society has sessions every Thursday 1pm (New Law Annex 106 this week), which includes a half-hour presentation on a topic of maths, and free pizza afterwards! So if you enjoy free pizza and don't mind (or better yet, enjoy) listening to maths, come join us (you don't need membership to come in).

    How are you finding your units so far?

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts II, USYD

  7. #32
    Cadet sea-r-du's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by sida1049 View Post
    I'm currently taking MATH2961 and STAT2911 right now (would totally take more maths but I'm balancing my economics major too).

    For me, MATH2961 so far has been fairly breezy, but not uninteresting (generalising anything to n-dimensions is pretty cool). Though we're still in fairly familiar territory, and I'm certain the course will get harder once we get up to the linear algebra part. A lot of students here are actually from the normal stream in first year, so a lot of unfamiliar faces.

    Of the ones I'm taking, STAT2911 is definitely the most difficult course right now. The lecturer goes through the content like lightning, but he's pretty good (a lot better than my first-year MATH1905 in my opinion). The content is quite interesting though, so I'm pretty content. The lecturer for STAT2011 is the same I had for MATH1905; he's not necessary bad, but you'll hear some conflicting opinions (I thought he was alright, but in general students tend to be more satisfied with him teaching STAT2011, from what I've gathered). STAT2011 seems to be a lot slower, and definitely dimensions easier than STAT2911.

    I totally recommend doing a maths major if you're interested. Statistics is great, but you'll need a lot of persistence because it's unfamiliar for a lot of students, and generally students tend to like maths lecturers more. Nonetheless if you're doing a statistics major, I totally recommend spending some units on maths as well (particularly MATH2061, and any other unit you might find interesting).

    Also, come to SUMS! Our maths society has sessions every Thursday 1pm (New Law Annex 106 this week), which includes a half-hour presentation on a topic of maths, and free pizza afterwards! So if you enjoy free pizza and don't mind (or better yet, enjoy) listening to maths, come join us (you don't need membership to come in).

    How are you finding your units so far?
    Wow, thanks for your prompt reply!

    Yeah having a look at the handbook, maths provides more offerings in terms of various topics. There are definitely some interesting diverse topics like DEs (MATH2065?) and a bit of Graph Theory. Both Maths and Stats are of interest to me - I want to work in a data related career (like analytics) after I finish uni, so that's why I chose stats. I don't know, I'll still have a think about it.

    Nice! I might come come by sometime soon. Shouldn't have class then.

    So far so good. Although I've made some changes to my unit of study for my elective units (like INFS1000 to some other unit) a couple of times over the last week to find the perfect class.

    Also how are tutorials generally operated for maths and stats? Does everyone do their own work in tutorials, and tutor go around and help them if asked, something like that? I had a tutorial like that the other day.
    Bachelor of Science, The University of Sydney

  8. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Sanctuary Hotel
    Posts
    175
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    where the cumbo kids at
    2016 ATAR - 99.05

    Mathematics Extension 2 - 91
    Mathematics Extension 1 - 95
    English Advanced - 92
    Personal Development, Health and Physical Education - 95
    Chemistry - 89


    Bachelor of Applied Science (Physiotherapy) USYD - Class of 2021

  9. #34
    Perpetual Student Amleops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    HSC
    2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    816
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by sida1049 View Post
    For me, MATH2961 so far has been fairly breezy, but not uninteresting (generalising anything to n-dimensions is pretty cool). Though we're still in fairly familiar territory, and I'm certain the course will get harder once we get up to the linear algebra part. A lot of students here are actually from the normal stream in first year, so a lot of unfamiliar faces.
    Yeah advanced linear algebra is a big step up from vector calculus.

    Just be thankful you don't have Ruibin Zhang and Bob Howlett as your lecturers.

    Quote Originally Posted by sea-r-du View Post
    Also how are tutorials generally operated for maths and stats? Does everyone do their own work in tutorials, and tutor go around and help them if asked, something like that? I had a tutorial like that the other day.
    Sometimes you may get a tutor that makes things a little more interesting and group oriented (Florica Cirstea comes to mind), but otherwise that's pretty much what you can expect for all maths tutorials.

    I had all the solutions to the tutorial questions anyway, so I didn't bother going to tutorials unless I didn't understand what was being done for some of the questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by gandalfbrah View Post
    where the cumbo kids at
    You'll be hard pressed to find any of them here.

    We used to have an OT student here back in the day; he graduated last year though.

  10. #35
    Cadet sea-r-du's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Amleops View Post
    Sometimes you may get a tutor that makes things a little more interesting and group oriented (Florica Cirstea comes to mind), but otherwise that's pretty much what you can expect for all maths tutorials.

    I had all the solutions to the tutorial questions anyway, so I didn't bother going to tutorials unless I didn't understand what was being done for some of the questions.
    Oh? So there's no tutorial class in which the tutor asks the students at the start of the class which questions you want to go over or have difficulty, and teaches the whole class step-by-step by writing it on the board? That was what I was expecting haha.
    Bachelor of Science, The University of Sydney

  11. #36
    Perpetual Student Amleops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    HSC
    2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    816
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Sorry, I misinterpreted your question.

    It's about half half. For subjects that have tonnes of questions for each tutorial (MATH2961 for example), they'll be more likely to use the approach you mentioned. It also depends on the individual tutor's preferences as well.

    Personally I found maths tutorials a waste of time, but your mileage may vary.

  12. #37
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    577
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by sea-r-du View Post
    Also how are tutorials generally operated for maths and stats? Does everyone do their own work in tutorials, and tutor go around and help them if asked, something like that? I had a tutorial like that the other day.
    For maths, the tutorials were board tutorials, where students get into groups of no more than 4 and work together with a whiteboard, and the tutor is there to help you if you need (you probable already have these). Everyone's tutorial experiences vary, but I found board tutorials to be useful; I consistently got into excellent groups (partially because the advanced maths/SSP cohort is somewhat close-knitted), and we'd spend most of our time on questions that were confusing or challenging, so I definitely learn things in maths tutorials. I haven't had a maths tutorial where everyone does their own work yet (though you can choose to do so if you wish).

    The MATH1905 tutorial was actually in a computer lab, though honestly you're just doing your individual work and using the computer as a calculator. Fairly sure this applies to MATH1005 too. It really depends on your tutor; for the first 3-4 weeks we had the lecturer, and the tutorials didn't really have much structure to it, other than ask for help if you need it. However, we had a change of tutor, and the second tutor was really great; he'd spend about the first 15-20 minutes going through the relevant theory, which we found to be pretty useful. So it really depends on your tutor.

    STAT2911 is a unique experience though. We have a tutorial and a lab each week. The tutorial is run by the lecturer, and basically we have to do the tutorial questions before the tutorial, and the lecturer goes through the questions and we have to mark each other's work according to the guidelines. He also records the marks for each tutorial (it doesn't contribute to your final mark, but it apparently he uses it as a criteria to see whether students who apply for special considerations try). The tutorials are pretty helpful, given that this is not an easy course, and the peer-marking helps motivate doing the work (which isn't too much, since we have to go over all of it during the tutorial). The computer lab sessions are used to compliment the weekly computer assignments. I haven't found it to be as useful as the tutorial, since it's easy to just finish the report at home. Free printing though! Not sure if the tutorial aspect of STAT2911 applies to STAT2011, since the former is a smaller course so the lecturer can take a more hands-on approach.

    Quote Originally Posted by sea-r-du View Post
    Yeah having a look at the handbook, maths provides more offerings in terms of various topics. There are definitely some interesting diverse topics like DEs (MATH2065?) and a bit of Graph Theory. Both Maths and Stats are of interest to me - I want to work in a data related career (like analytics) after I finish uni, so that's why I chose stats. I don't know, I'll still have a think about it.
    Data analysis/science is a good career to pursue, and a good mix of statistics, mathematics and computer science, and a major in one of them should be fine.

    If you have a spare unit, and want it to be an easy, WAM-boosting and relevant course, consider taking COSC1003 Computational Science (semester 2). It's a fun unit which revolves around using MATLAB to solve various mathematical and scientific problems. The cohort is usually fairly small and the lecturer is a great guy. You go touch a lot of different topics, so it never gets boring, plus the assessments are marked quite leniently.

    Good luck man!
    sea-r-du likes this.

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts II, USYD

  13. #38
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    577
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Amleops View Post
    Yeah advanced linear algebra is a big step up from vector calculus.

    Just be thankful you don't have Ruibin Zhang and Bob Howlett as your lecturers.
    Hahah I was so saddened when I found out that I no longer had Daners, but was ecstatic when I realised I wouldn't be having Zhang either!

    Dr Fish is a pretty amusing guy. Just today he randomly dropped his story where apparently he was held up at the US border, and they asked him what he did, to which he responded that he was a mathematician. They then wanted to test him, so they asked him what a parallelogram was. Apparently knowing about parallelograms saved him from being detained haha

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts II, USYD

  14. #39
    a bedroom philosopher Blue Suede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    how we doing


    No one is going to give you the education you need to overthrow them.

  15. #40
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    577
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Suede View Post
    how we doing
    rumours of how I popularised a microeconomics slide has reached that lecturer

    so pretty good

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts II, USYD

  16. #41
    a bedroom philosopher Blue Suede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by sida1049 View Post
    rumours of how I popularised a microeconomics slide has reached that lecturer

    so pretty good
    Congrats... I think?


    No one is going to give you the education you need to overthrow them.

  17. #42
    Perpetual Student Amleops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    HSC
    2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    816
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Doing pretty well. I'm loving all of the subjects I'm doing this semester.

    And I've got my graduation ceremony on Thursday.
    Daemontreu likes this.

  18. #43
    Cadet sea-r-du's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Amleops View Post
    Doing pretty well. I'm loving all of the subjects I'm doing this semester.

    And I've got my graduation ceremony on Thursday.
    Congratulations! Just curious, is there a fee payable to attend your ceremony? I know other unis (unsw) apparently have to pay $160 for one. Also would you get a plaque or a frame for your testamur?
    Bachelor of Science, The University of Sydney

  19. #44
    Perpetual Student Amleops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    HSC
    2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    816
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    There aren't any fees for the ceremony itself, although you will have to hire academic dress. The frame is an optional extra that you can buy from the Sydney Store.
    sea-r-du likes this.

  20. #45
    Cadet sea-r-du's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Guys, I'm planning to do a 2nd major in Information Systems. The requirement for a IS major is "For a major in Information Systems the minimum requirement is 24 credit points chosen from the senior units of study listed for this subject area." Having said that, I don't necessarily have to complete INFO1105: Data Structures, which is a Junior Level unit, just INFO1103 is enough in order to proceed into 2nd year INFO/ISYS/COMP subjects and then into 3rd year - as long I've satisfied the pre-requisite, is that right?
    Bachelor of Science, The University of Sydney

  21. #46
    Perpetual Student Amleops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    HSC
    2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    816
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/scien..._systems.shtml

    It appears you don't need INFO1105/1905 to complete an Information Systems major. Most INFO/ISYS units should be available to you, but your COMP choices would be limited.

  22. #47
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    577
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by sea-r-du View Post
    Guys, I'm planning to do a 2nd major in Information Systems. The requirement for a IS major is "For a major in Information Systems the minimum requirement is 24 credit points chosen from the senior units of study listed for this subject area." Having said that, I don't necessarily have to complete INFO1105: Data Structures, which is a Junior Level unit, just INFO1103 is enough in order to proceed into 2nd year INFO/ISYS/COMP subjects and then into 3rd year - as long I've satisfied the pre-requisite, is that right?
    Not sure if this is relevant, but it might be worth-while to note that unit of studies can't double count towards your majors. So while INFO3315 Human-Computer Interaction can count towards a computer science or an information systems major, it can't count towards both simultaneously. But as long as you have 48 senior credit points counting towards both of your majors (24 credit points each), you're fine. (So in the event that you wish to double major in computer science and information systems, it would be in your interest to do INFO1105 since it increases the number of senior units available to you. I can't remember your first major so this may not be relevant, lol.)

    Also, I totally recommend INFO1105 if you are considering a computer science major (or more generally, any major that requires programming, since INFO1105 is your first real encounter with the problem of optimising performance). I did meh in INFO1103, but completely smashed INFO1105 just because the content was a lot more interesting. The coding isn't really any more tedious than INFO1103, since they don't actually want you to write fully function programs, but to get the overall structure of your program right (so thankfully I could forget 40-50% of INFO1103, including exceptions and reading/writing to files). (I also found the workload of INFO1105 to be less than that of INFO1103.)

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts II, USYD

  23. #48
    Cadet sea-r-du's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by sida1049 View Post
    Not sure if this is relevant, but it might be worth-while to note that unit of studies can't double count towards your majors. So while INFO3315 Human-Computer Interaction can count towards a computer science or an information systems major, it can't count towards both simultaneously. But as long as you have 48 senior credit points counting towards both of your majors (24 credit points each), you're fine. (So in the event that you wish to double major in computer science and information systems, it would be in your interest to do INFO1105 since it increases the number of senior units available to you. I can't remember your first major so this may not be relevant, lol.)

    Also, I totally recommend INFO1105 if you are considering a computer science major (or more generally, any major that requires programming, since INFO1105 is your first real encounter with the problem of optimising performance). I did meh in INFO1103, but completely smashed INFO1105 just because the content was a lot more interesting. The coding isn't really any more tedious than INFO1103, since they don't actually want you to write fully function programs, but to get the overall structure of your program right (so thankfully I could forget 40-50% of INFO1103, including exceptions and reading/writing to files). (I also found the workload of INFO1105 to be less than that of INFO1103.)
    Yeah I've thought about doing Computer Science as a 2nd major but I'm more interested into the project management side of things, so I think IS would suit better for this case. Haha my 1st major would either be in Statistics, Maths or even Psychology - depending how i'll feel by the end of the year. I'll definitely have a look into INFO1105 but for now I think that I focus on INFO1103, and see how it goes.
    Bachelor of Science, The University of Sydney

  24. #49
    Cadet sea-r-du's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Amleops View Post
    http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/scien..._systems.shtml

    It appears you don't need INFO1105/1905 to complete an Information Systems major. Most INFO/ISYS units should be available to you, but your COMP choices would be limited.
    Awesome, great! Cheers.
    Bachelor of Science, The University of Sydney

  25. #50
    Cadet marxman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Hoo boy, The USA could have just used the INFO1903 Midsem instead of that MOAB. Note to future people who have no coding experience wanting to try out CS: fuck advanced informatics
    Wubba-lubba-dub-dub!
    HSC 2015: 2U Math (98)
    HSC 2016: 4U Math (98) 3U Math (97) Eco (95) Adv. Eng (95) Phys (92)
    ATAR: 99.85

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •