Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

HSC

Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

Quote Originally Posted by blakeeie View Post
    Sorry but do you know anyone who have done ECMT1020 this sem? Coz I have heard from a friend's friend that the unit's difficulty has increased this sem? Can you please confirm?
    I did ECMT1020 during semester 1 this year. I think the difficulty of the unit depends on how well you cope with statistics. If you have studied a good statistics unit or two, ECMT1020 will seem like a piece of cake, but if you've only done ECMT1010, then ECMT1020 might not be the easiest course for you. If you're not too comfortable with statistical theory, you may have to rote-learn some parts of the course, but overall it's not considered a WAM-destroying unit.

ECMT1020 this semester had a couple of differences:
    - no computer assignment, and
    - 4 multiple choice quizzes you do in your own time throughout the semester, but no multiple choice in the exam.

I personally found this easier, since I didn't really want to bother with learning STATA, but a lot of people may actually prefer having an easy computer assignment and multiple choice in the final, so they might have found it harder.

Overall, I think all the changes balance out, and ECMT1020 shouldn't be more difficult compared to previous semesters.

Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts II, USYD

HSC
    N/A

Thumbs up Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

Quote Originally Posted by sida1049 View Post
    I did ECMT1020 during semester 1 this year. I think the difficulty of the unit depends on how well you cope with statistics. If you have studied a good statistics unit or two, ECMT1020 will seem like a piece of cake, but if you've only done ECMT1010, then ECMT1020 might not be the easiest course for you. If you're not too comfortable with statistical theory, you may have to rote-learn some parts of the course, but overall it's not considered a WAM-destroying unit.

ECMT1020 this semester had a couple of differences:
    - no computer assignment, and
    - 4 multiple choice quizzes you do in your own time throughout the semester, but no multiple choice in the exam.

I personally found this easier, since I didn't really want to bother with learning STATA, but a lot of people may actually prefer having an easy computer assignment and multiple choice in the final, so they might have found it harder.

Overall, I think all the changes balance out, and ECMT1020 shouldn't be more difficult compared to previous semesters.
    Thanks a lot. I have only done BUSS1020 in my first year which I did quite okay in, and I also did 3U maths when I was in high school. Do you reckon that will be sufficient? Otherwise do you know any easy unit for commerce as an elective that is a wam booster (junior or senior units).

Also with ECMT1020 is textbook necessary?
    THANKS
    Last edited by blakeeie; 18 Jul 2017 at 1:17 AM.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by blakeeie View Post
    Thanks a lot. I have only done BUSS1020 in my first year which I did quite okay in, and I also did 3U maths when I was in high school. Do you reckon that will be sufficient? Otherwise do you know any easy unit for commerce as an elective that is a wam booster (junior or senior units).

Also with ECMT1020 is textbook necessary?
    THANKS
    You'll probably find ECMT1020 okay. It won't be a WAM booster, but it won't be a WAM destroyer either.

The lecturer goes through the basic probability and statistics you need anyway (although one thing I noticed was that our lecturer didn't spent that much time on conditional probability and the law of total probability, which some exam questions tested us on), so you should be fine. But a lot of this stuff may seem unfamiliar to you, so while an HD isn't that difficult, you'd have to put a reasonable level of effort into it.

I don't think the textbook is necessary. Our lecturer's slides rendered the book especially unnecessary during revision for exams and whatnot. Although if you really want an HD, the textbook may help you understand digest the lectures if you commit yourself to doing pre-readings for each week's material.

Unfortunately I don't study commerce, so I can't really help you with choosing WAM boosting subjects, but I'm sure there are others here who have more experience with commerce than I.

Best of luck!

Cadet
    HSC

Nice! You have the legendary Dr Daners next semester! I envy that. I really hope his MATH3969 still runs in two years time so I can take it.

I'm taking
    - ECOS2902 Intermediate Macroeconomics Honours
    - MATH2965 Introduction to Partial Differential Equations (Advanced)
    - MATH2970 Financial Mathematics and Optimisation (Advanced)
    - STAT2912 Statistical Tests (Advanced)

You've done ECOS2902 right? How was that...? And how was ECOS3901 (assuming you've done that too)?
    ECOS2902 is good fun--Yunjong's a great lecturer. Most people seem to regard it as easier than 2901. 3901 is fantastic, it moves away from consumer and firm theory that makes up first and second year and instead gives a rigorous treatment of cooperative and non-cooperative game theory, Bayesian games, auction theory (and mechanism design more broadly), and social choice theory.
    sida1049 likes this.
    Economics 96; Physics 96; 3U Maths 99; 4U Maths 96; English (adv) 93; English (ext) 49
    *99.95 ATAR* ; looking for tutoring?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by egress View Post
    ECOS2902 is good fun--Yunjong's a great lecturer. Most people seem to regard it as easier than 2901. 3901 is fantastic, it moves away from consumer and firm theory that makes up first and second year and instead gives a rigorous treatment of cooperative and non-cooperative game theory, Bayesian games, auction theory (and mechanism design more broadly), and social choice theory.
    That sounds fantastic!

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by egress View Post
    Oh and one last thing; is it necessary to buy the textbook for ECOS2902...?

HSC

The ECOS2902 lectures are largely based off the textbook, so in that sense, it's not necessary but may inform what you do in lectures.
    sida1049 likes this.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by elkedag View Post
    The ECOS2902 lectures are largely based off the textbook, so in that sense, it's not necessary but may inform what you do in lectures.
    Ah, that's kind of reassuring, because it's quite expensive and a bit out of the way for me to buy. So does that mean the tutorial questions won't refer to the textbook explicitly like "4. Question 5 from Chapter 3"?

HSC

Ah, that's kind of reassuring, because it's quite expensive and a bit out of the way for me to buy. So does that mean the tutorial questions won't refer to the textbook explicitly like "4. Question 5 from Chapter 3"?
    There may be assigned textbook questions like that. But you should be able to do them as long as you have occasional access to the book.
    sida1049 likes this.

a bedroom philosopher Blue Suede's Avatar
    HSC

it's uni policy to have at least 2 copies of required course textbooks available in the library and reserve section so you can always photocopy important pages or homework tasks. Just beware if there's a heap of people studying the course, you might have some competition for textbook access!
    sida1049 likes this.

No one is going to give you the education you need to overthrow them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information