USYD grades (1 Viewer)

A_Cacti

HSC
N/A
Hello,
I am aware that to the grades at USYD and many universities in New South Wales follow the categories of:
Cedit: 65-74
Distinction: 75-84
High Distinction: 85-100

In Victoria, however, the univiersities follow:
Credit: 60-69
Distinction: 70-79
High Distinction: 80-100

I was wondering does that mean that it is harder to achieve D or HD in NSW than it would be in VIC? Or is it the same since it would be just as hard to get an 85 in NSW as it is 80 in VIC.

I find it pretty confusing to especially when figuring out whether I am eligible for postgraduate studies or transfers interstate. E.g Melbourne Law wants D average which is specifically states as 70. However, if I get a Credit at Sydney which 70 would that be equivalent?

Thanks.

sida1049

HSC
Honestly, a 90 mark at USYD is completely different to a 90 at UNSW, UTS, Macquarie, UWS, et cetera, and visa versa. It depends on a variety of factors that are just too difficult to control for, e.g. leniency of markers, different lecturers, different content, different exams and marking schemes, different faculty policies, et cetera.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Generally when you are applying for interstate transfers or postgraduate studies or other things of that sort, they'll consider you on an individual basis anyway, since two-digit numbers that don't necessarily measure the same thing are meaningless. Of course they'll look at your marks, but they'll also look at the courses specifically, and especially for things like postgraduate studies applications, they'll look at your previous work, not just the marks.

clementinez

HSC
N/A
A credit is a credit and no uni is going to individually assess each uni's marking criteria meaning if a postgraduate degree asks for a credit then if you show up with a credit average from any uni you'll get in.

Attend the university you feel most comfortable with and put in the necessary effort to get the grades you want. There's no such thing as an easy D/HD regardless of where you go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)