Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sida1049

Thread: Question regarding timetables

HSC
    N/A

Question regarding timetables

I am in the process of enrolling and creating my timetable for my start at Sydney University in semester 2. In regards to my timetable I have chosen to select the class myself rather than the other option that was where I choose the times I want to keep free. So now when I go to select classes some lectures and one extra seminar say "There is only one option for this class." and don't display the time or day of the week for the corresponding lecture/seminar.

At this moment my timetable is suitable and does not clash but I am concerned that when my timetable is finally completed and I receive it these one time session only classes will clash and create problems.

Have any of you experienced this? What should I do?

Thank you.

HSC

Re: Question regarding timetables

Check with the central timetable unit.
    Amundies likes this.

Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts II, USYD

HSC
    N/A

Thanks. I just have one question some of these sessions like seen here in the lectures section and seminar section show a day and time (which I assume is a start time) but show no length or time which the said lecture ends.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by HSC2016_ View Post
    Thanks. I just have one question some of these sessions like seen here in the lectures section and seminar section show a day and time (which I assume is a start time) but show no length or time which the said lecture ends.
    You can check lecture time lengths in unit of study descriptions. In the case of INFO1003, they are an hour. Generally, if you see a lecture time with no indication of length, it just means an hour. (For example, ECOS2901 says 'Wed 14:00-16:00' for lecture time.)

HSC
    N/A

Thanks so much, I have just one more question (I know sorry just want to make sure I get it right). In my personal timetable it says under lecture "There is only one option for this class." however when I go to the central timetable unit for the subject found here it lists two time. Are these two separate lectures? Am I supposed to be able to select one via the personal timetable?

thank you I really appreciate it

HSC

Thanks so much, I have just one more question (I know sorry just want to make sure I get it right). In my personal timetable it says under lecture "There is only one option for this class." however when I go to the central timetable unit for the subject found here it lists two time. Are these two separate lectures? Am I supposed to be able to select one via the personal timetable?

thank you I really appreciate it
    No problem!

You'll be attending both lectures in that case. And that makes sense, because in the unit of studies outline for INFO1003, there are two 1-hour lecture sessions per week that you should attend (it just so happens that they're on the same day... which I've never seen before).

HSC
    N/A

Ok thanks again. Just one more thing I see you go to USYD do you know if it is common for people to have lectures that end at lets say 9:00 AM and then have their next start at 9:00 AM too. Most of my tutorials, lectures, etc are spaced out throughout the day with an hour in between them but for Monday there some that are in the context stated above.

HSC

Ok thanks again. Just one more thing I see you go to USYD do you know if it is common for people to have lectures that end at lets say 9:00 AM and then have their next start at 9:00 AM too. Most of my tutorials, lectures, etc are spaced out throughout the day with an hour in between them but for Monday there some that are in the context stated above.
    It's down to probability, really. I mean I had 4 hours of classes in a row in semester 1, and will probably have 6-hours in a row next semester. I think that's fairly common (especially for engineering and science students). However, if you pick and choose your units under the same faculty, they're more likely to be spaced out, because faculties generally optimise the timetables of their own units to avoid clashes and clustering.

But it sounds like you have it good!

Thread Information