Taking Introductory MATH subjects not part of course (1 Viewer)

HSC2016_

HSC
I am a student interested in doing some of the fundamental math units i.e MATH1111, MATH1013, MATH1011, etc. However these are not a part of my course outline.

I understand that doing some of these to build my skills may extend my degree some time but apart from this fact are there any other negative consequences of doing them?

Thank you.

sida1049

HSC
You should be fine. If you wish not to extend your degree duration, you should consider taking them during the summer and winter schools.

The only possible issue I can think of, is that by taking fundamental maths units, you are locking yourself out of half of the second-year maths units. Should you decide to do more maths in the future, you'll find that the most important second-year maths units to a well-rounded mathematics education will not be available to you. Specifically, you'll be unable to take the following units:
- MATH2021 Vector Calculus and Differential Equations
- MATH2022 Abstract and Linear Algebra
- MATH2023 Analysis
and their advanced counterparts. This in turn will automatically lock you out of most (but not all) of the third-year mathematics units.

However, even with only doing fundamental junior maths units, you can still take the following second-year units at the normal stream:
- MATH2068 Number Theory and Cryptography
- MATH2069 Discrete Mathematics and Graph Theory
- MATH2070 Financial Mathematics and Optimisation

Surprisingly enough, even with only doing at least two of the above units, you will still be able to enrol into:
- MATH3061 Geometry and Topology
- MATH3063 Nonlinear ODEs and Applications (though this unit assumes that you know vector calculus and second-year linear algebra)
- MATH3066 Algebra and Logic
- MATH3075 Financial Mathematics
which surprisingly enough actually means you'd still be able to do a maths major, if you really wanted to. Though note that I've heard from lecturers that the third year units will experience some change in 2019, so this information isn't as reliable as what I have on second-year stuff.

But anyway, those are the restrictions only if you decide to take higher level maths after doing the fundamentals.

Good luck!

HSC2016_

HSC
You should be fine. If you wish not to extend your degree duration, you should consider taking them during the summer and winter schools.

The only possible issue I can think of, is that by taking fundamental maths units, you are locking yourself out of half of the second-year maths units. Should you decide to do more maths in the future, you'll find that the most important second-year maths units to a well-rounded mathematics education will not be available to you. Specifically, you'll be unable to take the following units:
- MATH2021 Vector Calculus and Differential Equations
- MATH2022 Abstract and Linear Algebra
- MATH2023 Analysis
and their advanced counterparts. This in turn will automatically lock you out of most (but not all) of the third-year mathematics units.

However, even with only doing fundamental junior maths units, you can still take the following second-year units at the normal stream:
- MATH2068 Number Theory and Cryptography
- MATH2069 Discrete Mathematics and Graph Theory
- MATH2070 Financial Mathematics and Optimisation

Surprisingly enough, even with only doing at least two of the above units, you will still be able to enrol into:
- MATH3061 Geometry and Topology
- MATH3063 Nonlinear ODEs and Applications (though this unit assumes that you know vector calculus and second-year linear algebra)
- MATH3066 Algebra and Logic
- MATH3075 Financial Mathematics
which surprisingly enough actually means you'd still be able to do a maths major, if you really wanted to. Though note that I've heard from lecturers that the third year units will experience some change in 2019, so this information isn't as reliable as what I have on second-year stuff.

But anyway, those are the restrictions only if you decide to take higher level maths after doing the fundamentals.

Good luck!
That's great, thank you for compiling that list. I've looked at my course guide seems the MATH 2nd year units you have said that would not be available to me are not recommended units of study, which I am pleased about.

I've looked deeply into summer and winter school, bridging courses etcetera and certainly still something to consider.

Thank you for your help!

sida1049

HSC
That's great, thank you for compiling that list. I've looked at my course guide seems the MATH 2nd year units you have said that would not be available to me are not recommended units of study, which I am pleased about.

I've looked deeply into summer and winter school, bridging courses etcetera and certainly still something to consider.

Thank you for your help!
No problem!

Just note that in case if you're looking at an older version of a recommended units of studies list, MATH2021 and MATH2022 translates to MATH2061 and MATH2968, while MATH2023/2923 translates to MATH2962.

Last edited:

HSC2016_

HSC
No problem!

Just note that in case if you're looking at an older version of a recommended units of studies list, MATH2021 and MATH2022 translates to MATH2061 and MATH2968, while MATH2023/2923 translates to MATH2962.
Oh I see I didn't take much notice of the names.

I am a computer science student my CUSP course is here and it does have MATH 2061, 2068 among other units and when I look here at the Intermediate Mathematics and Statistics Handbook, it seems like these fundemental MATH units are not mentioned nor does it seem to prohibit me from participating in these units.

Can you by any chance give me the link to the information regarding fundamental MATH units locking me out of second year MATH units and I will follow up with that.

Thank you for responding and helping me understand.

sida1049

HSC
Oh I see I didn't take much notice of the names.

I am a computer science student my CUSP course is here and it does have MATH 2061, 2068 among other units and when I look here at the Intermediate Mathematics and Statistics Handbook, it seems like these fundemental MATH units are not mentioned nor does it seem to prohibit me from participating in these units.

Can you by any chance give me the link to the information regarding fundamental MATH units locking me out of second year MATH units and I will follow up with that.

Thank you for responding and helping me understand.
I just looked into your degree resolutions, and you're fine. According to the resolutions, you need:
- 12 credit points of junior maths units
- 6 credit points of intermediate maths units.

Now, naturally for computer science students, it's recommended that you actually take the normal stream (i.e. MATH10XX) units. However, nowhere in your degree resolutions does it actually say that you have to stick with mainstream units, so fundamental units are fine as well. However, what I recommend for the junior units is the following:
- MATH1011 Applications of Calculus [3cp] (either semester 1 or summer school)
- MATH1013 Mathematical Modelling [3cp] (either semester 2 or summer school) OR MATH1014 Intro to Linear Algebra (semester 2 only)
- MATH1064 Discrete Mathematics for Computation [6cp]
Now between MATH1013 and MATH1014, I personally recommend the latter, since linear algebra is generally more useful in computer science/IT than integral calculus/differential equations. MATH1064 is a totally new unit, but it seems perfect for comp sci students.

Now for the intermediate 6 credit points, I recommend for you to take MATH2069 Discrete Mathematics and Graph Theory, which is what computer science students generally take anyway. But MATH2068 is fine also.

With just that, you would satisfy the maths requirements of your degree, as well as the assumed maths knowledge for any second/third-year computer science unit.

As for how I know that fundamental maths units will lock you out of the other half of the intermediate maths units, you simply need to check their prerequisites. For example, MATH2021/2022/2023 (which from 2018 will replace MATH2061/2962/2968 [note that MATH2968 Algebra is not the advanced version of MATH2068 Number Theory and Cryptography]) has MATH1001/1021/1002/1003/1023 (note that from 2018, MATH1021/1023 will replace MATH1001/1003) as prerequisites. However, MATH1001/1021/1002/1003/1023 has the fundamental units as prohibitions. Therefore, by doing some of the fundamental units, you cannot take second year vector calculus/linear algebra/abstract algebra/analysis.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

HSC2016_

HSC
I just looked into your degree resolutions, and you're fine. According to the resolutions, you need:
- 12 credit points of junior maths units
- 6 credit points of intermediate maths units.

Now, naturally for computer science students, it's recommended that you actually take the normal stream (i.e. MATH10XX) units. However, nowhere in your degree resolutions does it actually say that you have to stick with mainstream units, so fundamental units are fine as well. However, what I recommend for the junior units is the following:
- MATH1011 Applications of Calculus [3cp] (either semester 1 or summer school)
- MATH1013 Mathematical Modelling [3cp] (either semester 2 or summer school) OR MATH1014 Intro to Linear Algebra (semester 2 only)
- MATH1064 Discrete Mathematics for Computation [6cp]
Now between MATH1013 and MATH1014, I personally recommend the latter, since linear algebra is generally more useful in computer science/IT than integral calculus/differential equations. MATH1064 is a totally new unit, but it seems perfect for comp sci students.

Now for the intermediate 6 credit points, I recommend for you to take MATH2069 Discrete Mathematics and Graph Theory, which is what computer science students generally take anyway. But MATH2068 is fine also.

With just that, you would satisfy the maths requirements of your degree, as well as the assumed maths knowledge for any second/third-year computer science unit.

As for how I know that fundamental maths units will lock you out of the other half of the intermediate maths units, you simply need to check their prerequisites. For example, MATH2021/2022/2023 (which from 2018 will replace MATH2061/2962/2968 [note that MATH2968 Algebra is not the advanced version of MATH2068 Number Theory and Cryptography]) has MATH1001/1021/1002/1003/1023 (note that from 2018, MATH1021/1023 will replace MATH1001/1003) as prerequisites. However, MATH1001/1021/1002/1003/1023 has the fundamental units as prohibitions. Therefore, by doing some of the fundamental units, you cannot take second year vector calculus/linear algebra/abstract algebra/analysis.

Hope this helps!
This is all fantastic, thank you so much for your help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)