Advanced Math Units (1 Viewer)

daniellehm_

HSC
Are there any advantages when choosing advanced math units for engineering. Additionally, I didn't do 4u but I got 90 for 3U (didn't really study for 3u though). Would the unit be too difficult for me and is 4u assumed knowledge?

Thank you in advanced

sida1049

HSC
The main advantage of doing advanced maths units is that they give you a better understanding of what's going on, and go through more content in greater rigour. This 1. may interest you, and 2. will make it easier for you to take future studies in maths and do maths elsewhere (e.g. engineering).

4U is officially stated as assumed knowledge, but I think if you put in enough effort, you should be fine with the first year advanced maths units. 4U provides little to no benefit in MATH1902 Linear Algebra (though 4U students will have gone through vectors, which the lecturer will go through in the first week) and MATH1905 Statistics. MATH1921 Calculus of One Variable will spend the first 1-2 weeks going through complex numbers. Integration by parts will appear in MATH1921 and/or MATH1923. The normal stream will actually go through all of those "4U" topics as well, but somewhat slower. But honestly, those topics are pretty EZ and you can easily learn them by googling.

daniellehm_

HSC
The main advantage of doing advanced maths units is that they give you a better understanding of what's going on, and go through more content in greater rigour. This 1. may interest you, and 2. will make it easier for you to take future studies in maths and do maths elsewhere (e.g. engineering).

4U is officially stated as assumed knowledge, but I think if you put in enough effort, you should be fine with the first year advanced maths units. 4U provides little to no benefit in MATH1902 Linear Algebra (though 4U students will have gone through vectors, which the lecturer will go through in the first week) and MATH1905 Statistics. MATH1921 Calculus of One Variable will spend the first 1-2 weeks going through complex numbers. Integration by parts will appear in MATH1921 and/or MATH1923. The normal stream will actually go through all of those "4U" topics as well, but somewhat slower. But honestly, those topics are pretty EZ and you can easily learn them by googling.
Okay that is good because I do not want to do it and struggle through the course. Can I drop these advanced units whenever? Will partaking in these advanced units also help my WAM - I have read that students doing advanced classes are more likely to attain a hd or d.

sida1049

HSC
Okay that is good because I do not want to do it and struggle through the course. Can I drop these advanced units whenever? Will partaking in these advanced units also help my WAM - I have read that students doing advanced classes are more likely to attain a hd or d.
Advanced students are more likely to obtain Ds and HDs not because of scaling or easier assessments or anything, but rather that if a student is willing to study maths at the advanced level, that student is probably hardworking/interested enough to do well in the advanced course. For the normal stream units, since a lot of people take them as compulsory units, you can expect a higher proportion of students doing worse. Thus generally, the normal stream is still better for your wam.

One thing you should take into account is your classmates. Advanced students are far more interested and motivated by the material and assessments than mainstream students
And in tutorials, you'll be working with your peers on problems.

There is a relatively large window at the beginning of the semester in which you can drop from the advanced stream down to the normal stream (3-5 weeks), so you can give it a try first.

Good luck!

daniellehm_

HSC
Advanced students are more likely to obtain Ds and HDs not because of scaling or easier assessments or anything, but rather that if a student is willing to study maths at the advanced level, that student is probably hardworking/interested enough to do well in the advanced course. For the normal stream units, since a lot of people take them as compulsory units, you can expect a higher proportion of students doing worse. Thus generally, the normal stream is still better for your wam.

One thing you should take into account is your classmates. Advanced students are far more interested and motivated by the material and assessments than mainstream students
And in tutorials, you'll be working with your peers on problems.

There is a relatively large window at the beginning of the semester in which you can drop from the advanced stream down to the normal stream (3-5 weeks), so you can give it a try first.

Good luck!
I am interested and willing to do the work and i guess it is good to be surrounded by students who are motivated too. Now the only issue is that MATH1921 and MATH1901 both have 8am lectures. I need to travel over 1.5 hrs to get to USYD and it would be difficult for me to attend early lectures

Last edited:

sida1049

HSC
Yeah I think advanced units sound appealing because I am interested and willing to do the work and it is good to be surrounded by students who are motivated too. Now the only issue is that MATH1921 and MATH1901 both have 8am lectures. I need to travel over 1.5 hrs to get to USYD and it would be difficult for me to attend early lectures
All lectures are recorded, so you can just watch those at your own leisure. (In general though, I would recommend attending lectures as opposed to relying on recordings, which a lot of students fall into the trap of doing.)

daniellehm_

HSC
All lectures are recorded, so you can just watch those at your own leisure. (In general though, I would recommend attending lectures as opposed to relying on recordings, which a lot of students fall into the trap of doing.)
Would watching lectures online as opposed to attending lectures make a big impact on how you understand the content? I really want to attend my lectures but getting to uni at 8 is nearly impossible

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
Would watching lectures online as opposed to attending lectures make a big impact on how you understand the content? I really want to attend my lectures but getting to uni at 8 is nearly impossible
If the recordings work properly and you don't browse the net whilst "watching" the lecture, then yes. Ik I go to a different uni but in 1st sem I went to the maths lectures and got 95 then 2nd sem I watched the recordings and scraped 85. I know personally that if I attended I would got at least 90.

Also on another note I had 8am lectures. I had to leave home at 530 to get there on time. Toughen up bud. All depends on how motivated you are...

sida1049

HSC
The main issue with relying on lecture recordings is that you're more likely to be distracted and/or become complacent. But if you do actually properly focus on the content, then watching lectures online should be sufficient for you to do well. It's just that statistically, you'll find a difference over a large body of students.

I attended those 8am lectures by setting my alarm to 5:55am lol (the lecturers for my 8am classes were fantastic!). But if it's an issue for you, don't worry about it, and just watch the lectures.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)