What's Sydney like? (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I was just wondering how people like the Uni of Syd??? It's one of the places I am looking at. What are the pros/cons? I'd especially be interested in hearing from someone doing the BA (Media and Communications) because that is what I am interested in possibly doing.

Thanks!

timmii

sporadic attendee
ash - we're newbies...we start uni in a couple of weeks, i take it you're year 12 still? Most unis only really start giving info aimed at ur year in about april (usyd) or june/july (others...) Until then, check out the websites, ask friends/family/acquaintances who may have studied there, career advisors and the "good universities guide". I'm sure once we've settled in we'll be able to give you some better updates :D

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
Yeah but the chem faculty looks two bucks fifty

And all the people at engineering could tell me is where the kegs were at!

And the engineering faculty has to face the facts that they aint caterers .... he was murdering the vegie patties!!!

(no offence guys ... you tried ... hopefully I will be there next year)

Edit: multiple posting...*tsk*tsk*

Last edited by a moderator:

Kittycat

HSC
lol. I have to admit, I haven't seen every place in Sydney Uni. I also heard that some classrooms was so 'crap' and they need air conditioning (I heard some rooms still don't have it)

timmii

sporadic attendee
No uni is gonna be perfect. I think usyd is pretty well maintained tho, considering it *is* over 150yrs old in parts :D

It's probably got the most diverse and vibrant campus life of the universities which adds to the atmosphere and makes it more fun to go there. It's got beautiful surroundings which can make the biggest difference (i know listening to music in the quad is wat was needed after a particularly gruesome accounting lecture...). But yeah, be more specific! :D

timmii

sporadic attendee
Usyd has got a diverse student population, so if you want to hang out with snobs, as with any university, you can. If you don't then there are more than enough non-snobby ppl to spend time with! The difference between uni and school is that there isnt the same pressure to spend time with a certain group of people, even if you don't like them, so snobbiness hasn't really a factor, in my experience. I was also a little worried about that before i got to uni, but it hasnt occured to me since i've been there that anyone has been snobby!

I was teased by some of my friends that i was going to the "snobby private school uni" before uni started, and although yes, there are quite a few of private/selective school people, i've found everyone to be heaps friendly. There isnt really much opportunity in the fleeting moments between lectures etc for anyone to be anything but that to you. It's only close friends that you would really see for extended periods of time, and if you don't like anyone, you don't have to see them. Simple!

I don't know about UTS so i cant comment really. Its hard to make generalisations about "people" at any uni. You should be able make a good group of friends wherever you go

timmii

sporadic attendee
well said Pri :p

Meh, usyd isn't snobby - i reckon we have far more left wing, greeny, bohemian types than the business-school of unsw :p

As for people not talking to each other...when were u there? 10pm on a sunday nite? :rolleyes: Talk about nonsensical generalisations!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
No, asqy's right, Usyd often seems like an ersatz Oxford. Very highbrow. Of course, I've been a few times and it just as often looks like a stoner campus.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
That is to say, it's many things in the one whole. A true statement of "university", if you ask me. Excellent!

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
yeah, usyd has always seemed VERY snobby to me. everyone there, students included, seem to have their heads impossibly stuck up their own arses. it's really pretentious and to be honest a lot of the stuff they teach isn't even that recognised in various industries - for example, if you're considering law, you'd really be better off at UNSW where it's much more practical teaching. sydney is all prestige and very little substance, most of what they teach is 50 years old and crusty and crap.

ash i know you're considering communications so i'd have to STRONGLY recommend uts. i was REALLY impressed by their communications faculty etc on the open day. i know those days are all about selling themselves to students etc, but really, they look much more interesting AND relevant than sydney.

and uts seems far less pretentious. :)

Generator

HSC
N/A
There is nothing wrong with the university.

But then again, at times I have felt the need to 'promote' my school in order to get it recognised, in some way, with the schools of the centre, east and north... I don't why I bother, but at times the glazed look can lead you into trying something like that.

It's a stupid thing to do, but eh, at times everyone does it.

Edit: That is only with a very small minority. Most people don't seem to care about which school you attended, although each and every person is likely to have some sort of initial generalised view based on your school and what they know of it...

Last edited:

pri

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by timmii

we have far more left wing, greeny, bohemian types than the business-school of unsw :p
hehehe..thats soo tru!!

sounds like my skool

nerdd

i've heard the computer/science faculty is crap...
old/slow/crap computeres.. old/slow/crap furniture haha. paint peeling off walls.. all that lala u know

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)