Where is everyone? (1 Viewer)

timmii

sporadic attendee
Ok, I'm tired of the unsw-students bragging of how lively *their* forum is, and how dull and sombre ours appears in comparison. Especially since usyd is known to have a much better atmosphere to it. So I think we should start getting to know one another on here....hmmmm little too late for this i spose.

Ok: what course is everyone doing? Do you have many friends going to syd or doing your course? What are everyone's plans for o-week? Anybody have camps or special faculty lunches?

I for one have a commerce gathering on tues afternoon, anybody else going to this? Is this going to be another opportunity to forum names to faces foregone out of "modesty" and "shyness"?....Yeah i know it isn't cool. Just introduce yourself, and if theres anyone around, *dont* say you know me from the net - i have a cred to protect ;) :p :D

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by timmii
Ok, I'm tired of the unsw-students bragging of how lively *their* forum is, and how dull and sombre ours appears in comparison. Especially since usyd is known to have a much better atmosphere to it. So I think we should start getting to know one another on here....hmmmm little too late for this i spose.

Ok: what course is everyone doing? Do you have many friends going to syd or doing your course? What are everyone's plans for o-week? Anybody have camps or special faculty lunches?

I for one have a commerce gathering on tues afternoon, anybody else going to this? Is this going to be another opportunity to forum names to faces foregone out of "modesty" and "shyness"?....Yeah i know it isn't cool. Just introduce yourself, and if theres anyone around, *dont* say you know me from the net - i have a cred to protect ;) :p :D
Yeah the Usyd has dyed over the last couple of days but that's because the people in this forum don't spam like the UNSW one.
Anyway, I'm doing science (adv maths)/commerce as my signature says.

In answer to your q's, I only have one friend going but he's doing a different course (medical science). Since I'm living on campus at wesley college, i'll prob go around O-week in a group with fellow weslians.

I'm going to the science transition program on sunday 2nd march so I might see anyone who is going to that. And I'll prob go to the commerce faculty welcome during O-week so I might see you there.

A cred to protect lol, would that happen to be because you are studying law? :rolleyes: :p

timmii

sporadic attendee
Re: Re: Where is everyone?

Yes, they are rather prolific spammers aren't they... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Ultimate

A cred to protect lol, would that happen to be because you are studying law? :rolleyes: :p
I think most of my nerdy qualities are derived from the fact I *am* studying law :p ;)...no its not so much that I have a cred to protect, so much as one to create - u know, cool uni student and all :p ;) :D

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Re: Re: Re: Where is everyone?

I think most of my nerdy qualities are derived from the fact I *am* studying law :p ;)...no its not so much that I have a cred to protect, so much as one to create - u know, cool uni student and all :p ;) :D
Why is that out of all the courses law is stereotyped to be the most nerdiest........hmm maybe because all who do it are 99.6 + UAI's.

Just tell someone you do law, and their impression of you changes to that of admirable respect. :rolleyes:

I tend to get the impression though that a lot of people who get high 99 UAIs do law because they can use their UAI and don't want to waste it, even though they may not have much of an interest in the law course itself. And a lot who do it don't necessarily want to be a lawyer.

I guess that's why the drop out rate for law is pretty high in first year. Initially it;s like a prestige thing to tell family and friends that they're doing law and the apparent prestigity attached to it.

izi

HSC
i am doing vet science and i dont know anyone else who is doing it. a few of my friends are going to usyd, but they are all doing other courses. most of them are going to unsw. there are two girls from my school that are doing law at usyd

timmii

sporadic attendee
i love this. Us moderators are artifically inflating the level of action!

Originally posted by Ultimate

Why is that out of all the courses law is stereotyped to be the most nerdiest........hmm maybe because all who do it are 99.6 + UAI's.

Just tell someone you do law, and their impression of you changes to that of admirable respect. :rolleyes:

I tend to get the impression though that a lot of people who get high 99 UAIs do law because they can use their UAI and don't want to waste it, even though they may not have much of an interest in the law course itself. And a lot who do it don't necessarily want to be a lawyer.

I guess that's why the drop out rate for law is pretty high in first year. Initially it;s like a prestige thing to tell family and friends that they're doing law and the apparent prestigity attached to it.
I always thought law students were pretty cool. My experience is that they are usually fairly intelligent, articulate people with a wide range of interests and an awareness of society....but i think the workload helps with the stereotype...:)

Yeah, i tell ppl i'm doing comm/law and they start backing away from me at parties. respect definitely... :rolleyes:

I get so annoyed by those who use the UAI as a gift certificate that must be "used up". I know a good too many people who were not accepted into med and then chose to do law! I mean come on! they are both degrees that require a passion or interest, you shouldn't just flip between the two just because you feel you can. :rolleyes: Then again, i'm not doing law because I want to be a lawyer - but that doesn't mean i don't want to do law. Sadly, all these high uai ppl who didnt get into med and then do law, push the uai cutoff up out of reach of some ppl who genuinely have their heart set on it :(

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by izi
i am doing vet science and i dont know anyone else who is doing it. a few of my friends are going to usyd, but they are all doing other courses. most of them are going to unsw. there are two girls from my school that are doing law at usyd
I'm in the same boat. 4 ppl from my school are going to usyd - most r going to unsw or macq. I know 4 comm/law unsw students and about another 10 law students at unsw doing other combinations...and only 1 or 2 other "acquaintences" doing law at usyd :( I'm nervous.... What are the two girls from your school doing with their law? Are they nice? :p

I don't know anyone doing vet science, though i know a couple doing science and nutrition science, but I don't know if you share first year science units with them?

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Re: i love this. Us moderators are artifically inflating the level of action!

I always thought law students were pretty cool. My experience is that they are usually fairly intelligent, articulate people with a wide range of interests and an awareness of society....but i think the workload helps with the stereotype...:)

Yeah, i tell ppl i'm doing comm/law and they start backing away from me at parties. respect definitely... :rolleyes:

I get so annoyed by those who use the UAI as a gift certificate that must be "used up". I know a good too many people who were not accepted into med and then chose to do law! I mean come on! they are both degrees that require a passion or interest, you shouldn't just flip between the two just because you feel you can. :rolleyes: Then again, i'm not doing law because I want to be a lawyer - but that doesn't mean i don't want to do law. Sadly, all these high uai ppl who didnt get into med and then do law, push the uai cutoff up out of reach of some ppl who genuinely have their heart set on it :(
I can't really judge what law people are like because I haven't met any as yet. I agree I've seen so many people who just flip between med and law, if they don't get into one they go do the other. The UAI as you say is so high for law because of such people.

Well, I think it's actually a good thing to do law as a means of being personally aware of the legal system. I originally wanted to do commerce/law but missed the cut-off, so my choice of course changed. But I mean uni is so flexible and if you can prove your results, and do well you can do any course you want to do really.

Fi

Well, I'll be (i) doing a B.A.
5 of my school mates are also going to Syd, yay!! I'll probably go to that "what can i do with an arts degree" lecture. On Wednesday i'll be leaving at 12.30pm to attend the protest march.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
We don't spam, we just have losts to talk about due to O-week.

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by McLake
We don't spam, we just have losts to talk about due to O-week.
So, uh, why are you talking in here? ;)

*not that i'm entirely blameless, i've probably contributed a good proportion of the posts in the unsw forum :eek:

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
lol, it's only sourie resurfacing in the unsw forums, sparking some flames.

As for me, science (advanced). One of my friends do science (advanced maths) and is doing identical first year subjects, as far as we know. :D

As for others, a couple of primary education students, an arts (psych.)/education, a science, a chem eng/science(chem)... our schol prob. has about 40 students at sydney, but I haven't been paying attention to exactly what they're all doing.

rofl... cred? How incredulous. :p You can contend that you do community work via helping others on this forum. And to all of them arrogant bastards who look down upon net-spawned acquaintances stick up YOUR nose.:p

kini mini

HSC

*not that i'm entirely blameless, i've probably contributed a good proportion of the posts in the unsw forum :eek:
Indeed you have :D

BlackJack: rofl... cred? How incredulous. :p You can contend that you do community work via helping others on this forum. And to all of them arrogant bastards who look down upon net-spawned acquaintances stick up YOUR nose. :p
LOL I agree - it's no worse than saying they met you in the drinks queue at the x faculty welcome!

Ultimate: I tend to get the impression though that a lot of people who get high 99 UAIs do law because they can use their UAI and don't want to waste it, even though they may not have much of an interest in the law course itself. And a lot who do it don't necessarily want to be a lawyer.
A problem with getting a UAI in the high 99s is that you have too much choice - you can get into just about anything you want to. But a great many people don't really know what they want to do, and in my opinion this isn't surprising at the age of 18. So they choose something that they feel offers a secure form of employent in the future IMO.

At my school, I think at least 50 people wanted to do law (mostly commerce/law), combined law at Sydney has become the stereotypical choice for people from my school. Especially since many have parents who are prepared to pay full fees to get in, and Sydney because of tradition. I only decided to do law a few months into last year because I felt that it would be essential for the career in business/finance that I knew I wanted. I'm not planning on being a lawyer at the moment, but realistically I have years before I have to make a decision on that.

As for the idea of not wasting your UAI - of the 3 100s from my school, one is going to Harvard, one is doing adv arts at Syd, and the last is doing adv science at Syd. So in my experience people don't feel that obliged to use their UAIs int hat way.

Ezmay

I'm doing animal science and like Ultimate I am living at Wesley, so will spend most of o-week with other weslians.

I'm really excited about o-week, but also nervous. I know absolutely nobody going to USYD! - But I'm sure I'll survive!

sif not 99

yeah il be at the faculty welcome for econ + bus....

as for o-week i think il just go grab the timetable asap so i can make changes as necessary, i aspire to a 3 day uni week, with 12 contact hrs certainly possible....

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by sif not 99
yeah il be at the faculty welcome for econ + bus....

as for o-week i think il just go grab the timetable asap so i can make changes as necessary, i aspire to a 3 day uni week, with 12 contact hrs certainly possible....
yes it is possible, thats roughly wat I have in semster 2 at UNSW, uni mon-wed with around 13 hrs

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Re: i love this. Us moderators are artifically inflating the level of action!

Yes, I agree completely! I get so cranky because I know that half of the people who are doing the course I wanted to do (Vet sci - no offense izi) dont want to be vets. When it gets to second or third year and they realise they have to stick their arms up cows buts they drop the course. Of course by then its too late for people like me who've wanted to be vets since before we can even remember.

Heaps of people do that though, do courses just because of the high cut offs. Society enforces it, like if people get 90+ and go on to be teachers, people bag them out. You'd think that if your options were unlimited due to getting a high UAI, you could find a course that really suited you, and if you were that smart, you'd realise that the choice was yours, and you wouldn't just do what people expect you to do.

(PS - I dont mean to offend, I know some people doing courses like Medicine and Law really want to do them, but I also know a lot who dont, and are just doing them because they can)

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Re: Re: Where is everyone?

Originally posted by Ezmay

I'm doing animal science and like Ultimate I am living at Wesley, so will spend most of o-week with other weslians.

I'm really excited about o-week, but also nervous. I know absolutely nobody going to USYD! - But I'm sure I'll survive!
Oh, fine then, I dont count? geez. well, if you're gonna be like that then! (jk)

izi

HSC
Re: Re: i love this. Us moderators are artifically inflating the level of action!

Originally posted by Mambomeg

Yes, I agree completely! I get so cranky because I know that half of the people who are doing the course I wanted to do (Vet sci - no offense izi) dont want to be vets. When it gets to second or third year and they realise they have to stick their arms up cows buts they drop the course. Of course by then its too late for people like me who've wanted to be vets since before we can even remember.

Heaps of people do that though, do courses just because of the high cut offs. Society enforces it, like if people get 90+ and go on to be teachers, people bag them out. You'd think that if your options were unlimited due to getting a high UAI, you could find a course that really suited you, and if you were that smart, you'd realise that the choice was yours, and you wouldn't just do what people expect you to do.

(PS - I dont mean to offend, I know some people doing courses like Medicine and Law really want to do them, but I also know a lot who dont, and are just doing them because they can)
No offence taken, but just for the record...
I have wanted to be a vet since forever and I didnt "use up" my UAI like some people that do law or med. I personally dont think that vet is one of those courses that people just do coz they have a high UAI that they want to use up. I am assuming that most or even all the people that are doing vet have a genuine interest in animals because the drop-out rate for vet science is really REALLY low especially compared to law and med.

Anyway, my second choice was animal science and I was really close to missing out on vet science. Mambomeg I really hope you enjoy animal science this year and since you really want to be a vet I hope you can transfer next year.

Lugia

Hey everyone,

I'm doing B Engineering (mechatronics space) / B Science (computer science). I got into the TSP for science as well :D

Any one with me?

As for other people from my school, i know a few doing combined commerce degrees, occupational theropy, phmarcy,law... 2 of my friends are doing engineering also, though not my course... :(

Actually I still can't decide whether i want to vet science or engineering... its like either maths or animals, both of which I really like... oh well...maybe I'll find out what I want when I start.

Bye :) :cool: :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)