What to take? (1 Viewer)

timmii

sporadic attendee
Ok...the big day is upon us, down to the logistics.

What is everyone taking with them? For lectures we don't have to take readings and texts do we? :confused:

How are you organising lecture notes etc?

anyone else realllly nervous??? :confused:

Fi

Coolllllll, someone is just as confused as me!!!

I was talking to a 3rd yr uni student and she told me to take nothing but a notebook to my first lecture. She told me not to purchase any textbooks until the lecturers tell us what to buy.

As for organization, Im sticking to how i normally would organize my stuff: Exercise book and folder for each subject. I'm starting on Tuesday, so i have to get my stuff ready.

And as for ur last question, i think if ur read my other posts, u would tell that i won't be sleeping the night before i start.

kini mini

HSC
I have a feeling there'll be a terrible anticlimax when you actually end up in the theatre :p

Just bring some paper and a pen, the first few lectures are just settling in anyway :).

It's good to take notes, if only to avoid falling asleep :p. I wasn't nervous at all.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
On the first day-some of the lectures are just introductory (hi, I'm your lecturer, my office is here, my email is this...etc)-but others plunge right into work-so it pays to be prepared for the subject and bring anything you think you may need...but at the same time-it is only the first day, so you probably won't be doing practical stuff where you may need lots of equipment, like lab coats and gloves and stuff!
You won't need textbooks on the first day (not that you should have any yet anyway-definately wait til the lecturers tell you exactly which ones you need! And you don't usually bring any textbooks along with you to UNI anyway.) But I know we got given these manual/handbook things for most of our subjects before the semester began, and it is probably a good idea to bring those along, for the subjects you have that day. (if you get given manuals that is...if you don't know what I'm talkign about, then you must not have been given them, so don't worry. :))
Other than that-all you really need is paper and a pen to take notes. I personally recommend buying A4 excercise books for each subject so they are easy to keep organised and in one place, but lots of people just use loose paper...either way is fine I spose.
Oh, and don't forget your timetable! ;) And if you hve a map of the campus, that is probably a good idea also, in case you get lost!

And don't be nervous, there is nothing to be nervous about! I started last week and I had no idea what was going on and thought I was gonna turn up there and be all lost and confused-but all the other first years are in the same boat, and lecturers understand that you aren't born knowing all the ins and outs of UNI life.

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
I'm a bit nervous as it will be our first uni lecture/day ever.

Im just bringing a lecture pad and pens because i don't think we really are going to start taing notes, or maybe we will i just don't know. I am using lecture pads for each subject it's just much more easier for me.
But like others have said most of the time it will be like a intro to the subject and the lecturers etc.

timmii

sporadic attendee
Thanx all...:D

I'm terrified for the litigant assignment, and the forthcoming work in other subjects...but not so much for uni itself :p

Not knowing anyone in lectures is the perfect opportunity to plant urself next to the cutest guy you see...right? ;) :p :cool:

I hope you all have a lovely day! Good luck! :D

emz

!!

hey ppl!!
as for me, OMG! im scared from now
i dont know any1 in my course, and i dnt knw many ppl who r cumin to usyd.. and i have a 1 hr break 2mrw! arrrghhhh!!
u'll prob be able to spot me out, i'll the lonely bugger trying to make friends :(
and this may sound stupid, but im terrified of REDFERN! i h8 the walk from the station to the uni....freakkkky!!
anyways i start at 8 on mondays, do u guys think it'll be alrite to walk thru redfern at around 7:30, or do u think it'll be too dead at that time to be walking alone?? HEEELLLPPP!
btw, im doin commerce

emz

oooops and as for what im takin....
umm, im just bring some pens and a little note pad
i think thats all we should need anyway for the first day :)

timmii

sporadic attendee
Ok, i've been defending redfern to all my friends...its really not that bad. I did get harassed on the train on thursday though so I'm slightly less enthusiastic. It wasn't redfern's fault tho as it was *on* the train, so hmmmm i'm not sure.

I reckon 7:30 may be ok, as ppl r going to work then and there would be other students around...but if you're not happy, go to central (not that its *that* much better).

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Today i had
Business and Economic stats at 10am in eastern ave auditorium which was packed. Luckily i sat next to friendly people who i met and talked to.
Then i had microeconomics at the same place after an hours break at 12pm.
There was so much people at uni today!!!

All in all it was smooth running, apart from the long lines at the copy centre to get my accounting lecture notes and finding out tomorrow i will have to buy three textbooks!!

Redfern is ok, there is always a big group of sydney students walking to and from redfern. After 5pm i would go to central but luckily i finish at 3 at the latest!

timmii

sporadic attendee
I had the most *fantastic* day :D :D :D

I had company both to and from redfern, by luck...so that was fun and my lecturers thus far are pretty cool. And I met such lovely people :D

On that note...Kini, I swear I must have met half your grade in the past couple of days. Every boy answers the question "sooo, what school were u from?" with "grammar". Seriously. :rolleyes: :p

zannaz: how cool is Tig for econometrics? It looks really scary, but also pretty interesting :D

Oh! Guess what! We have a guest lecture series for law 9am every monday to supplement our seminars! In 2 weeks Justice Kirby is talking to us about common law, and in 7 weeks Attorney-General Daryl Williams is discussing the choosing of judges etc :D Yay! :D

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by timmii
On that note...Kini, I swear I must have met half your grade in the past couple of days. Every boy answers the question "sooo, what school were u from?" with "grammar". Seriously. :rolleyes: :p
ROFL :p! Is that just in law or everywhere? Care to name some names to prove it?

Hmmm, even at UNSW I'm one of 6 former Grammar guys in my class. The number is frighteningly high in commerce lectures too, unfortunately some are people I hope would go to Sydney or at any rate away from me :p.

Oh! Guess what! We have a guest lecture series for law 9am every monday to supplement our seminars! In 2 weeks Justice Kirby is talking to us about common law, and in 7 weeks Attorney-General Daryl Williams is discussing the choosing of judges etc :D Yay! :D
Gahhhhhhhhh....I have an accounting tutorial 9.30-11 on Monday mornings. Considerably less entertaining :p

timmii

sporadic attendee
Kini - change your lecture! 1 more is going to come to the lectures with me...u should come to! :D

As for the names...If I'm not prepared to put my name up, i don't think i should put theirs... :p

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by timmii
Kini - change your lecture! 1 more is going to come to the lectures with me...u should come to! :D
Put the schedule up, it does sound interesting :p

emz

hey timmi and zannaz! i had tig for econometircs today too! lol
man that lecture was scary, 500 ppl! and i didnt really make any friends.. every1 seems sooo snobbish.. well the ppl i sat near anyways

so far the day was pretty alrite tho...

timmii

sporadic attendee
Ok, I am, sadly, so thrilled by these lectures that I typed up the schedule quickly for you. :D

They've all volunteered to talk, which at approx 9:20 this morning made me immediately realise the benefits of going to "traditional" usyd :D

hehehe...I'm sure this enthusiasm will wear off soon enough....:rolleyes: Probably about the time I start getting work....

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by emz
hey timmi and zannaz! i had tig for econometircs today too! lol
man that lecture was scary, 500 ppl! and i didnt really make any friends.. every1 seems sooo snobbish.. well the ppl i sat near anyways

so far the day was pretty alrite tho...
I've only met one "snobby" person at that was at the comm. faculty welcome. Everyone else has been soooo lovely :D Just start talking to random members of the public, I've met a lot of good people like that :p I don't reckon you're gonna make any life long friends in your 500person lectures, but its still nice to be able to create a repertoire of "friendly faces". The girl next to me and I had a lovely time scoping out the "talent" ....ahhhh bonding :p

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
emz, today's lecture was huge, so much people aye!!!

Some people do seem snobbish, but i tend to just chat to anyone anywhere like lining up at the copy centre or waiting to go into a lecture theatre.. .

you can come sit with me:D if you feel lonely!!! I'm friendly enough!!!

Pretz

Yeah i know what you mean about building up a repertoire of friendly faces sym. It's great to be able to just lean over and say whatever funny/clever/brilliant thing happens to be on your mind, like I'm so prone to doing. And emmz I think maybe you were misinterpreting shyness as snobbery. They probably thought you were shy too. Why not try striking up a conversation with one of the snobs who sits near you? It'll be good. Until you run out of things to say and and all you can do is talk about the awkward silences that happen when two people who haven't met before are talking and they both run out of things to say at the same time, and wait for the other person to talk but they don't. But yeah anyway, I haven't met many people who are totally new to me, i can't believe how many people who I've played basketball against at one time or another are going to syd. It's beautiful that I can, with someone who I hardly know, sit down like best buddies and reminisce about the whupping I gave them. It really is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)