2006 Credit Point Standardisation Info (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Ok, a lot of people have been asking about the standardisation of credit points and info is scarce. For those who don't know what this means:
As of next year, USYD will no longer have different credit point values for units. Quintessentially, this gives you the opportunity to complete more units of study.
You can also stay with what you're currently doing.
Any questions, just ask.
So, without further ado:

Credit points for junior unit of study now: 6
CP for junior UOS 2006: 6

CP for senior unit of study now: 8 (variable)
CP for snr UOS 2006: 6 (fixed)

Requirements for a major now: 2jnr+4snr UOS (i.e. 44CP)
Requirements for a major 2006: 2jnr+6snr UOS (i.e. 48CP)

Requirements for a double major now: 2jnr+6snr UOS (i.e. 60CP)
Requirements for a *advanced major* 2006: 2jnr+8snr UOS (i.e. 60CP) (note change of name to advanced major)

UOS Studied for a 3 year degree now: (On average 20)
UOS Studied for a 3 year degree 2006: 24

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The reason behind it (to the best of my understanding) was not so that you can do more units of study, because there were already several 4cp units, but it was rather so that it's easier to combine some units without going over or under 24cp's.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
waf - 'combine units'? what does that mean? sorry i have no clue on this stuff

stas, does this mean, potentially, that i could major in say, IR/HRM, political economy, complete my required units in arts and science faculty, and ALSO do mktg subjects along the way?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
withoutaface said:
The reason behind it (to the best of my understanding) was not so that you can do more units of study, because there were already several 4cp units, but it was rather so that it's easier to combine some units without going over or under 24cp's.
Nope, that wasn't the reason at all. The reason for it was to aligning the University’s practices with those of its domestic and overseas competitors thereby increasing the competitiveness of USYD.
That, and to earn more money.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
spin spin sugar said:
waf - 'combine units'? what does that mean? sorry i have no clue on this stuff

stas, does this mean, potentially, that i could major in say, IR/HRM, political economy, complete my required units in arts and science faculty, and ALSO do mktg subjects along the way?
Yep. Couldn't you do that now though?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
spin spin sugar said:
waf - 'combine units'?
I assume he just means choosing the units that you do.
For example, you have 26 credit points for your degree.
You do 6cp, 6cp, 4cp, 8cp subjects: total of 24credit points. That leaves you 2 credit points under due to the inequality of UOS CP values.
Now, everything is 6cp, so you cant go under or over your req's

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
Nope, that wasn't the reason at all. The reason for it was to aligning the University’s practices with those of its domestic and overseas competitors thereby increasing the competitiveness of USYD.
That, and to earn more money.
*shrugs

That's the reason engineering gave for the changes they implemented this year.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
They're doing it all over the uni. It pains me to know that my 3cp subjects in first and second year are now going to be worth 6cp each.

aditya

HSC
yeh its realli only beneficial for commerce students... as opposedd to engineering (i dno about arts/science)... and engineering is quite big, with all its streams etc... nehoo

what i wanan know is how u get an advanced major in a subject that doesnt even have 60cp to do.... like finance im sure has less :S

stazi

Nightman
HSC
aditya - it has 10. also, im sure, like now, it includes some selected econ and act units as part of the double major.

aditya

HSC
damn... lol

gah.... what do u mean econ units? they are a prerequisite, does that mean its included in the major count!!!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
well for finance, looking at the handbook you do 6 prereq and 2 senior. 4 of these prereqs i think arent finance uos. so ure only really doing 4 finance uos. I could be wrong though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)