Residential Colleges... (1 Viewer)

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
Which ones are really the best?

I have heard that St Andrews is a really good one in terms of sport and social activites. (What im into)

But doing research Ive heard good things about Wesley.

Does anyone have any insider knowledge or tips on Usyd colleges? What are the stereotypes? the good and the bad?

Cheers

boomalaka

HSC
Well first of all it would help to know which gender you are.

shes_jinxed

HSC
im applying for college next year and will try be impartial
but from what ive heard and what my friends tell me college is only as good as you make it

-i would say that drews is probably the best co-ed college i have two friends there and the love love love it - its actually everything too them like the whole reason they go to uni, its academic so youll need a good transcript and my guy friend told me if you a girl and pretty hot a UAI over 90 but if your a guy 95 lol, they kinda have this seniority thing going on there so freshers are the lowest of the low ive heard its not as big at say wesley
- my other friend goes to Wesley and she loves it too, its not as academic and has heaps of different ppl there a big background
- pauls has a big stereotype of being a boys club but is all guys so if your a girl dosent matter lol except that the guys are hot
- johns is where im applying to next year - ppl here dont give it the best wrap but from what i can tell its not too different from the other co-ed colleges and should be fun but like drews heard that they are into the hierarchy
- womens very academic and huge they are the best a sport obviously because they have like double the number of girls - this is a massive stereotype but like 7 girls from my high school go there and they are incredibly snobby but if thats what you like then...
- sancta - small, catholic, all girls - enough said i would sooner die

- get your application in asap ( im applying 2 weeks but wish i could earlier), my friend applied to drews september last year around this time and was accepted on the spot in her interview, i think andrews is the only one that accepts on the spot, but basically they are more likely to take you early than if you apply late

good luck
cya

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
shes_jinxed said:
but from what ive heard and what my friends tell me college is only as good as you make it

-i would say that drews is probably the best co-ed college i have two friends there and the love love love it - its actually everything too them like the whole reason they go to uni, its academic so youll need a good transcript and my guy friend told me if you a girl and pretty hot a UAI over 90 but if your a guy 95 lol, they kinda have this seniority thing going on there so freshers are the lowest of the low ive heard its not as big at say wesley
- my other friend goes to Wesley and she loves it too, its not as academic and has heaps of different ppl there a big background
- pauls has a big stereotype of being a boys club but is all guys so if your a girl dosent matter lol except that the guys are hot
- johns is where im applying to next year - ppl here dont give it the best wrap but from what i can tell its not too different from the other co-ed colleges and should be fun but like drews heard that they are into the hierarchy
- womens very academic and huge they are the best a sport obviously because they have like double the number of girls - this is a massive stereotype but like 7 girls from my high school go there and they are incredibly snobby but if thats what you like then...

- get your application in asap ( im applying 2 weeks but wish i could earlier), my friend applied to drews september last year around this time and was accepted on the spot in her interview, i think andrews is the only one that accepts on the spot, but basically they are more likely to take you early than if you apply late

good luck
cya
Thanks a lot

But i was thinking of applying after the HSC?? bad option ? cause i still dont know whether i should go to UNSW or USyd yet...

With UNSW colleges, to me, they dont give off the same 'vibe' or atmosphere as the USyd colleges do. But i dunno, that's just me.

shes_jinxed

HSC
well my friend put it this way...
if you apply early and they like what they see then they are likely to take you instead of waiting to see if they can find anyone better and then not being able to fill the place, if you apply latter they have already seen lots of applicants and have more ppl to compare you too, basically the earlier you apply the smaller the pool of applicants and the higher your chances
but on the filp side my friend got accepted into welsey in January of this year so its really hard to tell
obviously your pretty busy at the moment but all you need to do is fill out the forms etc and get references and post it away then what ever college you have as your first preference will send you a letter with an interview time...... or at least thats what ive been told and then you go to the interview and dazzel them lol
do you know which college your leaning towards?

shes_jinxed

HSC
oh and..... about UNSW
i dont know anything about their colleges but i dont think that they are anything like the usyd ones but the whole place has a totally different atmosphere than usyd so i would imagine that would extend to their colleges as well
and even if you dont know which uni your going to still apply becuase the second round of college offers come out like a week after the uni placements next year so by then it will probably be too late to apply
its a little different for me because im already at usyd

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
shes_jinxed said:
oh and..... about UNSW
i dont know anything about their colleges but i dont think that they are anything like the usyd ones but the whole place has a totally different atmosphere than usyd so i would imagine that would extend to their colleges as well
and even if you dont know which uni your going to still apply becuase the second round of college offers come out like a week after the uni placements next year so by then it will probably be too late to apply
its a little different for me because im already at usyd
Well thanks for all the advice, what do u think of Usyd? I know the sport is really competitive over there, moreso than UNSW cause (from what i hear - may very well be wrong here) 1. much more ppl, 2. easier to get into

And ive heard that UNSW is one of the party unis (like Macquarie is party central) but unsw does not lack anything. Im really leaning towards going to Usyd now even though earlier i was all for unsw.

What is the atmosphere there like? (at either one?)

Im really torn between the two unis, i have no idea. Want to do com/law but its all about the atmosphere and sport for me.

Cheers again

boomalaka

HSC
LaCe said:
Well thanks for all the advice, what do u think of Usyd? I know the sport is really competitive over there, moreso than UNSW cause (from what i hear - may very well be wrong here) 1. much more ppl, 2. easier to get into

And ive heard that UNSW is one of the party unis (like Macquarie is party central) but unsw does not lack anything. Im really leaning towards going to Usyd now even though earlier i was all for unsw.

What is the atmosphere there like? (at either one?)

Im really torn between the two unis, i have no idea. Want to do com/law but its all about the atmosphere and sport for me.

Cheers again
Disregard what anybody says about atmos unless they go to college. You will be part of your own seperate entity completely exclusive to the rest of the uni. And as far as the coleges go, USyd completely kill UNSW colleges. My fresher yar has been the most fun i've had hands down every single week.

If you want to party, you could easily go out every single day of the week.
And if sport is so important to you, then there are two options. Either you participate for the college or for the Uni also. USyd have first grade teams in just about every sport. And for college sport, as a female you would be well placed to go to either Women's or Drew's.

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
boomalaka said:
Disregard what anybody says about atmos unless they go to college. You will be part of your own seperate entity completely exclusive to the rest of the uni. And as far as the coleges go, USyd completely kill UNSW colleges. My fresher yar has been the most fun i've had hands down every single week.

If you want to party, you could easily go out every single day of the week.
And if sport is so important to you, then there are two options. Either you participate for the college or for the Uni also. USyd have first grade teams in just about every sport. And for college sport, as a female you would be well placed to go to either Women's or Drew's.
Well im a guy first of all, but yeah im aiming for 1st grade crick for uni but since Usyd is sooo big, there is much tougher competition but shouldnt really matter, its about ur own performances.

Yeah i have found that USyd colleges own UNSW ones (from research and talking to ppl just get that feeling) so im leaning toward Usyd at the moment.

What u just said there really has given me a good idea, thanks heaps.

boomalaka

HSC
LaCe said:
Well im a guy first of all, but yeah im aiming for 1st grade crick for uni but since Usyd is sooo big, there is much tougher competition but shouldnt really matter, its about ur own performances.

Yeah i have found that USyd colleges own UNSW ones (from research and talking to ppl just get that feeling) so im leaning toward Usyd at the moment.

What u just said there really has given me a good idea, thanks heaps.
If you're that good at sport then you should definately go to Paul's. Andrew's have really slid in the past few years when it comes to sport and if you want a a top end experience, then Paul's is the go.

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
boomalaka said:
If you're that good at sport then you should definately go to Paul's. Andrew's have really slid in the past few years when it comes to sport and if you want a a top end experience, then Paul's is the go.
Paul's then... Wesley though have dominated though in the Rawson Cup but Paul's are doing well this year i hear. But if i decide to go to Usyd i'll apply for Drew's, Paul's, and Wesley.

But i am still really torn between UNSW and Usyd. Can anyone help me out on this front?

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
Oh yes, I would always say USyd all the way.

About the whole party thing - I'm not really sure where the "UNSW = good party uni" reputation has come from ... yeah sure they might have one or two big events each year (e.g. Oktoberfest - but Munich does that so much better) but USyd has the year-long party atmos - each week there are parties either at the colleges, the society formals, the college informals, the gigs at the bars, sporting clubs socials etc etc etc. Whichever way you look at it USyd is the way to go.

Re cricket at USyd, naturally kicks the arses off cricket at UNSW. It's just natural.

Duffman says: "Sydney Uni is the place to be for a long ice cold Duff with friends. Oh, yeah...."

Just do it. You know it makes sense. :)

boomalaka

HSC
LaCe said:
Paul's then... Wesley though have dominated though in the Rawson Cup but Paul's are doing well this year i hear. But if i decide to go to Usyd i'll apply for Drew's, Paul's, and Wesley.

But i am still really torn between UNSW and Usyd. Can anyone help me out on this front?
Wesley have dominated for the last 5 years, but historicaly they are really shit. Paul's is really stepping up now. they won it in 2003, choked badly 2004, and this year have led the enitre way and are about to win the whole thing come next wednesday.

And definately don't go to UNSW. I remember trying to sell tickets for an informal at the UNSW "party college", and it was sad how they were such a bunch of downers.

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
Thanks guys for that, im really leaning towards USyd now, but my dad went to UNSW and there is the whole rivalry thing.

Usyd with parties...mmmm

But im guessing Usyd first grade is a lot harder to get into than UNSW first grade but again that shouldnt matter if ur good enough...

But then again what if I stay at a college for a couple of years then find my own place...then the question of which is the better uni kicks in...

melbournian

mexian expat
HSC
boomalaka said:
Wesley have dominated for the last 5 years, but historicaly they are really shit. Paul's is really stepping up now. they won it in 2003, choked badly 2004, and this year have led the enitre way and are about to win the whole thing come next wednesday.

And definately don't go to UNSW. I remember trying to sell tickets for an informal at the UNSW "party college", and it was sad how they were such a bunch of downers.

Historically Paul's is shit too. But why does history matter? You aren't living at college in 1955 or 1985 but 2005

walrusbear

HSC
shes_jinxed said:

good luck
cya
heya
i'm a johns student

good luck with the application!
johns is a college that's improving, i'd equate it with Andrews actually.
it is unassuming but has very strong spirit.

i can safely say that the hierarchical elements of the college are dying. i'm a 2nd year student and already much has changed in this regard. by next year it will be a much more easygoing and fun place

Last edited:

grimreaper

HSC
And as far as the coleges go, USyd completely kill UNSW colleges
*cough* bullshit *cough*. Please dont talk about something you obviously know nothing about (ie unsw colleges). I've said enough about unsw colleges to people in the unsw forum but i just had to call you out there. btw, i went to the thing at the manning bar at the start of semester 2 which was supposed to have both sydney and unsw college people, and if unsw wasnt there it would have been dead as a doornail to be honest.

I dont know what youre talking about... the main "party" colleges are the kensington ones (goldstein, basser, baxter) and they dont have "informals"???

I'm not going to pretend to know anything much about usyd colleges here, but you really wouldnt be disappointed at unsw if youre looking for a good social\sports life

walrusbear

HSC
grimreaper said:
*cough* bullshit *cough*. Please dont talk about something you obviously know nothing about (ie unsw colleges). I've said enough about unsw colleges to people in the unsw forum but i just had to call you out there. btw, i went to the thing at the manning bar at the start of semester 2 which was supposed to have both sydney and unsw college people, and if unsw wasnt there it would have been dead as a doornail to be honest.

I dont know what youre talking about... the main "party" colleges are the kensington ones (goldstein, basser, baxter) and they dont have "informals"???

I'm not going to pretend to know anything much about usyd colleges here, but you really wouldnt be disappointed at unsw if youre looking for a good social\sports life
i'd say it's just your experiences eh
UNSW colleges are certainly not bad, and there is still plenty of room to party

having lived in a USYD college and visited UNSW colleges often i'd say i prefer the more holistic experience of the USYD colleges.

shes_jinxed

HSC
walrusbear said:
heya
i'm a johns student

good luck with the application!
johns is a college that's improving, i'd equate it with Andrews actually.
it is unassuming but has very strong spirit.

i can safely say that the hierarchical elements of the college are dying. i'm a 2nd year student and already much has changed in this regard. by next year it will be a much more easygoing and fun place
YAY finally i thought you guys didnt exist!
so what can you tell me about it, anything really the website is crap lol
- i heard the inside is nasty, but i dont think drews looks that great on the inside either, what are the rooms like?
- and ppl keep saying that the going coed "didnt work" whatever that means
- do you guys have good parties etc? my friend from wesley says that she thinks Johns isolate themselves from the rest of the colleges, but im not sure she knows what shes talking about
- anytips for doing well in my interview?

honestly any information at all would be great, good and bad im basically 100% that Johns is my choice
im actually really excited and will die if i dont get into college i hate being at home dumbest decision i ever made not to apply last year.

thanks again

Last edited:

shes_jinxed

HSC
oh and are the girls sports teams any good? i watched the softball against drews but had to leave and i heard johns lost

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)