Gas Leak? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
Does anyone know what actually happened up at BiolSci this morning? I was caught up in the commotion with the fire trucks and the ambulance and heard rumours about someone collapsed or vomiting. And something about a gas leak.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
That alcohol - it's dangerous stuff. We ended doing our tutorial test in the John Clancy foyer. Bit of an annoyance really.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
ay yes nebuchanezzar i saw a whoile bunch of students doing their bios tutorial tests in the foyer but i couldnt really point out who you were
but yeah really waste of a day...came 30 mins late to a lab and had to leave 30 mins later because of the evacuation

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
for us non-chem ppl
whats this ethanol type chemical and whats it do to u?? :)

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Ethanol is a highly flammable liquid, and can be considered as the from the same group of Alcohols. I believe that if ethanol is anywhere close to say 3 metres from a flame, this liquid will immediately start burning.

Not to mention how miscible it is with air (mixes with air well).

Hmm, I wouldn't really want Lab A to be burnt down before I get to dissect the rat.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
ethanol = alcohol. That's all you really need to know. They inhaled too much alcohol and had to be taken to hospital for alcohol poisoning...that's my theory.

See, this is the problem with these stupid faculties like commerce and law. They breed people that don't even know what ethanol is, and instead educated them on useless theories and legal mumbo jumbo.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Lol, still the Biological Sciences Building is like the last place you'd expect to have a gas leak, I mean lol Chemistry has all the different kinds of chemicals in their storeroom, you don't even need it to leak.

XD Haha when I heard about this from azn gangsta, the first thing that came to mind was some viral disease being released...

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Has anyone noticed how there's always a giant vat of liquid nitrogen & liquid helium sitting in the hall of the Heffron building? I hope they're empty...

Conspirocy

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
See, this is the problem with these stupid faculties like commerce and law. They breed people that don't even know what ethanol is, and instead educated them on useless theories and legal mumbo jumbo.
it was just a question...if 'you' science students were competent, people may not be in hospital. gas leak, really good work, fact you didnt realise until someone passed out, even better...hmm i wonder what they teach you then

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, no questions asked. You took a harmless, half assed knock to a faculty as completely serious. None the less, when a colourless gas starts seeping around in a building like that, you're not automatically going to assume there's a massive ethanol leak. The lab I'm in always smells of ethanol (unless there are dead toads in the room), and the chemistry labs always smell like ammonia (amongst other chemicals). The only time that you'd think that it was a chemical leak was when it becomes so harsh that someone has breathing problems, or the building explodes.

Conspirocy

HSC
i just felt what you said wasn’t worth saying at all.

now don’t get me wrong, I appreciate what you have to say. but really, your such a big person, I mean ridiculing someone who doesn’t even study science. I mean I’d hope someone who studies science would actually know the answer, but common obviously you are more knowledgeable in the area so I don’t see the need to put people down, when they asked a simple question. if you came and said something really intelligent about an area you had no experience in, i would be impressed, but (I’m assuming you study science since you like to use all the mumbo jumbo).

my point is this ---> wow, I’m am amazed a science student has knowledge of science, like you are the shit man, you are special...its only your degree.

also on that note of you being a massive science expert

now im just going on my limited knowledge of the science world, cause i must be an idiot... but i do know a bit about commerce and one word kinda sticks out when you say something like:

"you're not automatically going to assume there's a massive ethanol leak. The lab I'm in always smells of ethanol "

negligence.

now I’m not trying to be a dickhead here, but what you said has got to be the dumbest thing I’ve heard. Why do your labs smell like ethanol? Do you really think that is acceptable? Does that sound like a sound and safe practice to you? Is that the norm everywhere? For the last three questions I would hope the answer from you would be no.

If there is a smell that is so strong you cant tell when something is leaking, that sounds like a problem to me. And saying, oh but that’s just how it’s always done, does not make it right

Maybe we should get you science students some canaries

sunny

meh.
HSC
Stop it kiddies. There was a gas leak, smelt funny, people evacuated. Thats it.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Just to clarify a few points though (nothing more)

1. "ethanol" is not science mumbo jumbo. It's used every day in the media nowadays with the general public constantly whinging about petrol prices.

2. I'm not a massive science expert, hence why I'm doing a science degree. You know, to hopefully one day gain expert knowledge in this field.

3. I think that you've misunderstood me, and that I perhaps put something in a wrong tone, or something. Yes, if there was a strong stench of ethanol then there is a problem. If the stench is so overpowering in causes breathing problems, then there's a problem. But even when ethanol is used in kinda smallish quantities, you can still smell it. It's not harmful in that dosage, but you can still smell it. No-one is going to run off and call a massive evacuation because they can smell ethanol. Even when it gets stronger, you're not going to automatically think to call an evacuation. It's just not logical. So the answers to your questions are yes, yes and yes.

Conspirocy

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Just to clarify a few points though (nothing more)

1. "ethanol" is not science mumbo jumbo. It's used every day in the media nowadays with the general public constantly whinging about petrol prices.

2. I'm not a massive science expert, hence why I'm doing a science degree. You know, to hopefully one day gain expert knowledge in this field.

3. I think that you've misunderstood me, and that I perhaps put something in a wrong tone, or something. Yes, if there was a strong stench of ethanol then there is a problem. If the stench is so overpowering in causes breathing problems, then there's a problem. But even when ethanol is used in kinda smallish quantities, you can still smell it. It's not harmful in that dosage, but you can still smell it. No-one is going to run off and call a massive evacuation because they can smell ethanol. Even when it gets stronger, you're not going to automatically think to call an evacuation. It's just not logical. So the answers to your questions are yes, yes and yes.
just to clarify...

1. I'm aware that it's not mumbo jumbo, I was simply being rude.

2. I know your not a science expert, maybe that was my point?? yes, that was my point.

3. thats a fair point about the smell. I think you missed my point, you said the labs smell like substances before you even start doing anything. So if that is the case, thats still not safe. If you walked into the lab, and the smell of a leak was masked because the lab has a standard smell, its not safe. Normally you would walk in and notice "Hey something doesnt smell right here", assuming the leak has happened before you entered the lab.

anyway it wasnt a leak apparently, but my points still stand for what we were actually arguing about. Also, if there ever was a leak i think what i have said is relevant.

someone care to explain to me what kind of smell from outside could make people pass out and go to hospital?

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Conspirocy said:
someone care to explain to me what kind of smell from outside could make people pass out and go to hospital?
I blame the Geologists.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
3. thats a fair point about the smell. I think you missed my point, you said the labs smell like substances before you even start doing anything. So if that is the case, thats still not safe. If you walked into the lab, and the smell of a leak was masked because the lab has a standard smell, its not safe. Normally you would walk in and notice "Hey something doesnt smell right here", assuming the leak has happened before you entered the lab.
You know nothing, please die. The day you, as a brilliant and useful commerce student invents some way of masking such an odour whilst using it, I shall reward you with some kind of tangible object. Anyway, it's not as if the stench comes from a massive vat of dangerous chemicals, it comes from the little squeaky bottles, or the slides, or whatever else. It's constantly in use, douchebag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)