So, whats the social life like at UNSW? (1 Viewer)

Ricky09

HSC
After visiting most the universities today for the advisory days i've decided that i don't like USYD at all. Weird thing is that most my mates said the same thing, don't like the people, campus, etc. Though it's hard to make a judgement in one day.

Anyway, probably doing commerce at NSW and was wandering what the social life is like? Most the people that my mates or i said a passing g'day to just ignore you, future students that is...

elfm

HSC
The social life is good I guess. UNSW have the Roundhouse which I'm sure you know about already, which holds some of the biggest and best parties/concerts in Sydney. I usually go to the Roundhouse after each day of uni just to wind down to have a meal or a drink. I don't know what kinda social life you're after though. There are plenty of clubs and sporting things you could sign up for if that rocks your boat.

The people that you said hi to probably thought you were saying it to someone behind them or something :p It's not common that people greet randoms walking across the footpath, since if they did, no one would be able to get to class!

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
if you're a social person. then you'd have a social life :)

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Why didn't you like USYD? Just curious to know.

Ricky09

HSC
simonloo said:
Why didn't you like USYD? Just curious to know.
Staff and some students seemed up themself, didn't really like the campus either. Thought there was certain groups (Like that troops in Iraq) didn't really need to be there at an advisory day. Certain staff actually told two of my mates to go to UTS or UNSW, even though they have high UAI's and the uni wouldn't just be trying to get rid of them. It just didn't seem to have a good atmosphere.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
i go to unsw but i was very impressed by usyd when i went to the open day. the place blew me away...to kensington.

as for social life, im guaranteeting you that you wont be bothered to leave campus to hang in the city unless you have LOOONG breaks. the campus itself is reasonable, the quad lawn is nice place to sit in summer. the roundhouse is a decent place to have a drink and relax, and probably one of the better gig venues in sydney. BUT other than that theres not really much to do, and if you're not asian you'll have to 'asianise' yourself somewhat.

Mumma

HSC
On the way to UNSW a bit lost we became, a friend said "Follow the Asians" and all was well.

Ricky09

HSC
blackfriday said:
i go to unsw but i was very impressed by usyd when i went to the open day. the place blew me away...to kensington.

as for social life, im guaranteeting you that you wont be bothered to leave campus to hang in the city unless you have LOOONG breaks. the campus itself is reasonable, the quad lawn is nice place to sit in summer. the roundhouse is a decent place to have a drink and relax, and probably one of the better gig venues in sydney. BUT other than that theres not really much to do, and if you're not asian you'll have to 'asianise' yourself somewhat.
For reference, i'm not asian.

Chris.

HSC
Mumma said:
On the way to UNSW a bit lost we became, a friend said "Follow the Asians" and all was well.
thats exactly what i said to my friend when i didnt know which bus to catch lol. (btw im asian)

Affinity

HSC
Eagles said:
if you're a social person. then you'd have a social life :)
Second this.

and with the asian thing.. depends on your school/faculty

Ricky09

HSC
RideTheLightnin said:
yay we got aussies at unsw...kinda felt out of place today being totally outnumbered..so much different to school
So true mate. Being from the Central Coast our class was 95% white Australians. Doesn't really bother me ey. What you doing at UNSW?

Last edited:

Chris.

HSC
i noticed that the non asians and the hot chicks (well 2 or 3 only) are all interested in the art faculty. Nothing wrong with any of this ofcourse....
on the otherhand the commerce/eco faculty which i will be in next year seem to have nobody interested at all

Ricky09

HSC
Chris. said:
i noticed that the non asians and the hot chicks (well 2 or 3 only) are all interested in the art faculty. Nothing wrong with any of this ofcourse....
on the otherhand the commerce/eco faculty which i will be in next year seem to have nobody interested at all
Yeah. I noticed that too. I'll be in commerce though. Assuming the UAI doesn't go up to much.

HSC
Ricky09 said:
So true mate. Being from the Central Coast our class was 95% white Australians. Doesn't really bother me ey. What you doing at UNSW?
Economics probably...wanted Comm but only got 86. At our school in newie we had ONE asian out out 120...and he wasnt your stereotypical asian either lol (bodybuilder, got uai of 55). But at the lectures yesterday there was some hotties, but way more asians.....hope to see you there next year as a scarce aussie

Ricky09

HSC
RideTheLightnin said:
Economics probably...wanted Comm but only got 86. At our school in newie we had ONE asian out out 120...and he wasnt your stereotypical asian either lol (bodybuilder, got uai of 55). But at the lectures yesterday there was some hotties, but way more asians.....hope to see you there next year as a scarce aussie
Oh kay. Yeah we didn't have any cliche 99.XX UAI asians. Yeah, there was a few walking around that i noticed, but again it was blanketed by asians. Yeah, hope to see you there mate.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Well, there were a lot of hot asian chicks at least. I guess it pays to maintain a level of yellow fever.

*I'm white*

Last edited:

toadstooltown

1337 }{4><
HSC
N/A
More and more I've come to dislike the atmosphere at USyd. They all just seem so arrogant and caught up in the 'reputation and prestige' of it all. A lot of their lectures, I found, didn't focus much on referencable facts but just 'we've got a very big faculty', 'lots of funding'. The one thing they did stress was that there were 29 different majors in BSc (Adv), making it sound earth shattering but UNSW offers at least 32. 29 majors is a lot and I'm not saying it's bad, but they act as if all other universities and just expensive tafes.

HSC
Ricky09 said:
Staff and some students seemed up themself, didn't really like the campus either. Thought there was certain groups (Like that troops in Iraq) didn't really need to be there at an advisory day. Certain staff actually told two of my mates to go to UTS or UNSW, even though they have high UAI's and the uni wouldn't just be trying to get rid of them. It just didn't seem to have a good atmosphere.
100% the reason i didn't go too usyd either, I felt like they where completely up themselves.. unsw was very insanely friendly, and i do not regret it too this day that a year has passed. the staff/tutors/mentors are very helpful

btw their is hot girls at commerce if asian isnt your thing, trust me i'd know i got my radar on 24/7. only a small group (maybe of 5-10) but its still better than none.. although you're probably more likely too find europeans in commerce rather than aussies.

Last edited:

Ricky09

HSC
Casmira said:
100% the reason i didn't go too usyd either, I felt like they where completely up themselves.. unsw was very insanely friendly, and i do not regret it too this day that a year has passed. the staff/tutors/mentors are very helpful

btw their is hot girls at commerce if asian isnt your thing, trust me i'd know i got my radar on 24/7. only a small group (maybe of 5-10) but its still better than none.. although you're probably more likely too find europeans in commerce rather than aussies.
Haha. Yeah through year 12 i always thought i wanted to go to USYD, but after visiting it, i hated it. Good to hear there is some talent in commerce though. Out of curiosty, how many days will first year commerce be?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)