Philosophy at UNSW (1 Viewer)

donmar

HSC
HIIIIIIIIII GUYYYYS

I was just wondering what entry requirments are for philosophy at UNSW- I understand it's within social sciences but yeah if anyone whose actually doing any of the courses to tell me a bit about what theyre like and what I have to do to get in then just tell me

CHEEEERS GUYYYS!!!!!

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Philosophy is an Arts major, you'll have to do it throught either an Arts or Social Science degree.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

donmar

HSC
But what are the entry requirements for UNSW compared to USYD
Also, if anybody could be kind enough, why USYD over UNSW when dealing with humanities?

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Hm, I haven't heard anything good or bad about USyd's humanities.

But Philosophy can be taken through the following degrees at UNSW:

B Science (Only as a minor or couse elective)
B Arts (Major / Minor)
B Social Sciences

N.B: Combined degrees i.e. B Sci/B Arts are also eligible.

donmar

HSC
well thats all very well and good, thankyou very much

so in terms of UAI, just the score to enter an arts course or what?

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
75@unsw 83@usyd

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
jb_nc said:
75@unsw 83@usyd
+ there are other courses with lower UAIs that let you concentrate on Arts stuff. B Arts and Sciences at Sydney, for example, which has a UAI of 75.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
b arts and sciences = lets make up a course to get more money CHA CHING (includes b science and technology too)

donmar

HSC
thankyou very much, you have been most helpful

I suppose as one FINAL inquiry- if anybody is doing this course, could you possibly tell me what it is like and if u wud recomend its persuence

HSC
I insist you do Philosophy @ USYD. I do PHIL1011: Reality, Ethics & Beauty. It's v. good (well everything except Beauty atm). I guess all I can say in defence of this, is that DBM is the best lecturer. :eek:

Last edited:

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
I'd suggest usyd for phil too to be honest, especially majoring in it under arts. Arts at UNSW isn't all that if you aren't doing languages.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
I suppose its hard to say. You may want to consider the choice of majors offered between the B Arts @ UNSW and B Arts @ USYD (i.e. Not taking into account the double degrees)

In Addition to philosophy, what do you wish to major/minor in?

I don't know, but having taken one Philosophy course, PHIL1007, the lecturer was pretty crap. I reckon this was his first post as a lecturer (He's not the lect for this year's PHIL1007 anymore). Our tutor was a USYD Postgrad in Arts, and whenever you asked her a question, she'd say "Oh...well if that's what you think"...then I'd angrily say, how can you say that, in the exam, its multiple choice, if I think its A, then will it be marked as correct? In the end, I got a D, so I was pretty happy considering how I didnt study for it at all, since the exam format was common-sense.

But if you get our A/Prof dude, he's pretty entertaining.

So....all in all...take into account not only the lecturers, but the tutors. How are the USYD tutors? My USYD tutor @ UNSW was pretty crap.

Last edited:

duliel

Closet nerd
HSC
Heya!
I did Phil1011: Minds, Bodies, and Persons, semester 2 this year.
Here's some feedback....

Lectures:
- would be better if used powerpoint
- lecturers are great and present the material in a clear manner
- notes provided are really good

Tutorials:
- sharing of ideas is encouraged! (unlike many otehr subjects)
- the tutor I had was great! She was willing to help and provided good feedback
- sometimes there isn't enough time to cover everything and they often get rushed by the end

Assessments:
- NO EXAM!
- 2 30% essays though
- if you screw up, you don't get enough feedback from the markers to do better next time
- sufficient time to complete assessments
- really tough on plagarism despite the ease of essays being similar (they mark areas on your paper where it gets close to plagarism OR if its 'serious' you have to have a talk with the Head of something or rather... thats where your fate is decided, but not sure if that's just a myth to scare the locals! lol)

Hope this helps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)