GENS6033 HIV & Other Unconquered Infections & GENM0701 Contemporary Bioethics (1 Viewer)

Dwight

HSC
Figured I'd get more replies this way...has anyone done these geneds and recommend them? Or can tell me a bit about the course?

Are there any other online geneds, easy to get marks, etc.?

wind

HSC
Yeah I did the HIV gened. It ran from weeks 3-10.

60% Online discussion.
You read up on some set material and discuss it. You can talk abt the trigger questions or post of your own.
Discussions contribute 10% per week. But since the course runs for 7 weeks, you're marked on the best 6 weeks. Pretty easy marks to get if you sit down for a few minutes and post here and there. You can get a maximum of 8 marks out of one post if you're that good lol. But since most of us aren't a few posts will definitely cover the 10 marks for that week.

20% Online quizes (4 x 5%).
Pretty standard multiple choice questions done on online. Timed test which I think was 15 minutes. Covered the previous (?) week's content/reading material. Not too bad.

20% Group assignment.
You form your own groups of maximum 6 people, minimum 1. You're given a choice of several tasks to complete. Our group chose to make a slideshow to help educate people about HIV (you had to write up a trascript of your presentation/Powerpoint), while other groups decided to make a pamphlete.

It's pretty easy if you give it some time. I got 96% and only lost marks in the group assignment. Plus you learn quite a bit...nice getting to learn bits of information on Mad Cow Disease and ebola lol

Although coming from a science degree does help. But non-science people won't be disadvantaged as the online tutors will tell you - my tutor was in Monash I think.

purplemonkey

HSC
Woo hoo lets go HIV!! I'll be there online :wave: I hope this is a good unit...easy way to get marks n no class time ;) fits FANTASTICALLY into my timetable hehehe...are there any required texts to buy or can the reading be done online as well?

wind

HSC
There's a DVD you pickup from the biomed office on level 1. You deposit $20 for the DVD and they give you a manual at the end of the course.

When the course finishes you return the DVD and collect your $20 if it's good shape. On the DVD there were 2 videos, a HIV patient who tells of this struggles (quite moving actually) and a documentary on mad cow disease. I should've made a copy since it's not that bad lol.

The manual (free) is material needed in the tests I think. Other material tested include websites that the course links to and material located on Vista itself.

elfm

HSC
I did HIV during summer and got 99%. Very easy, not a lot of reading/time required, a few posts per week should get you full marks. I never actually watched the DVD or read the book...

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Haha thanks dudes for posting the Course Outline, BABS is always the laziest school (Competing with Chemistry)...

Anyway I'll be doing this course the coming Semester...hope to meet some BoSers around!

CMJ

HSC
Did HIV in Summer session as well. Quite an easy course which doesn't eat into too much of your time.

Other fairly easy online gen eds i have done and would recommend are Brave New World and Energy and Mineral Resources.

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
I'm enrolled in HIV for the upcoming semester, seems like resonably easy marks if you're willing to put a few hours in, might give me something to do when I'm suffering those long nights of insomnia. Hopefully see some of you around :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)