Does record of plagiarism go on your transcript? (1 Viewer)

AE86

HSC
As the thread name suggest.

Just out of curiosity.

I have been screwed over for lending code out.

elfm

HSC
i thought only marks got put onto your transcript. you'll probably just get a fail or maybe something better if the lecturer is kind.

haven't u looked at ur transcript on my.unsw yet?

AE86

HSC
hmm i was thinking that by the time i graduate and receive the official transcript, it may suddenly appear there.

Goodbye

HSC
Just out of curiosity. What kind of plagliarism is this? Surely nothing dramatic.

AE86

HSC
Well, it's a programming assignment.

Friend copied and made minimal changes. One of the biggest mistakes I've made in my life.

elfm

HSC
lol i wouldn't worry too much about it. for something as small as that it should be ok!

in my course, everyone copies each other and no one ever gets caught! :D

AE86

HSC
oh what course do you do??

Apparently plagiarism in CSE describes it like as if it's like some serious sin.

I would have got 80 Dn if I didn't get caught. 75 if the lecturer believed I was the originator of the assignment which I really am.

Ended up with 69 because i copped the full penalty and accused both party of copying.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
You could try appealing.

Since you did the original work....can you somehow get your friend to confess that he's the one who copied off you? Or is he too afraid of failing?

AE86

HSC
obviously afraid of failing.

If they confess now, they may suffer further deductions of marks.

Since it is a 2ppl assignment, one guy will fail and the other guy will fail his whole postgrad degree which he claims paid 25k for.

So if I appeal, it makes me seem like the bad guy.

elfm

HSC
my friend was in a similar situation last year. both people copied from each other and the lecturer just gave them half their marks as a penalty. i'm fairly certain that's all the punishment you'll get.

gman03

HSC
AE86 said:
obviously afraid of failing.

If they confess now, they may suffer further deductions of marks.

Since it is a 2ppl assignment, one guy will fail and the other guy will fail his whole postgrad degree which he claims paid 25k for.

So if I appeal, it makes me seem like the bad guy.
So you're saying thay postgrad guy didn't know about the consequence of copying your code? If so, then he deserve to pay for the full price. If not then he shouldn't get further marks deduction (because he doesn't know)...

However I think he knew along so I think you're not the bad guy (although you knowingly give them your code so you're not going to get any more marks... it is a different story if you don't know about it.... ahem..)

Rekkusu

HSC
I agree with gman, I didn't want to say this in a straightforward matter.

But you're the innocent guy here, and friends....well let's just say everyone who is doing the same degree as you in the same timeframe is your competitor, so knocking 1 person out of here means you're better off. ;)

Still though, you're losing 11 marks mate, that's real hefty, and too costly for just a friend. If your buddy has a shred of honour and decency (as a friend) left in him, he should have the guts to walk up to the lecturer and confess.

Last edited:

Raginsheep

HSC
Not for first offences I think. It gets more serious if you're caught again.

Rekkusu

HSC
It depends on both the seriousness and number of plagairism attempts.

Also, you get suspended first (1 year or 2 semesters). Then if its real serious, expulsion. In which case you'll need to re-apply for enrolment with a clean record...but you must tell the committee or something why you won't plagiarise agian.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)