travelling to unsw (1 Viewer)

kokodamonkey

HSC
UNSW is my 2nd choice for uni, and i just wanted peoples opinion on travelling there in terms of time and if its "bearable" i.e i live in the hills district so i'd have to drive to train station, then get a train from there to central, then get a bus from central to unsw.. all up itd take a good 1.5h each way. which would be 3h a day. Does anyone do something similar to this and how do you think its worth it?

Evilo

HSC
lol if you go there it will have to be worth it :p

Remember if you get a 9:00 lecture time - you'll have to be out of the house before 7:30 - if your used to that it probably wont be a problem :p

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
usyd would be closer for you wouldn't it. plus its alot better as a uni, reputation and social wise.

anyway shouldnt there be buses somewhere from the hills district to central. just catch that then catch a bus from eddy av to unsw.

easier no?

kokodamonkey

HSC
i think traffic wise the train would be smarter move if it was a 9am lecture?
also what time are lectures etc normally anyway? Coz im thinking of doin combined com/arts . dunno if that helps with giving me an idea of what time things normally are.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
how long is the drive from your house to the station? If you drive to parra you could take the express train which would get to central in about 30 minutes, and if you get at the right time there'll be plenty buses to take you to unsw quickly. I catch a train from Blacktown to unsw 3 days a week, it's pretty annoying but I'm living with it. (too poor to do anything else i spos)

I think if you combine comm and arts you'll go to uni ~4days/week which shouldnt be too hard.

I'd much prefer having my lectures starting at 11am at the earliest, but that's just because I suck at getting up early. I don't have breakfast on most days, just get dressed and leave. Anyway, you should be able to choose your own lecture times so you can decide. You should try to have 3 longish days instead of 5 short days (more cost effective). I dont know anything about arts but 1st year comm lectures usually start from 11 to 1 and there's usually a few streams for you to choose.

Or you can go to usyd.

kokodamonkey

HSC
yeah. all depends on the marks. i think i might only get around 94 which is below "the cut off" so i might do DFEE coz thatd be a lot easier then having to worry about the hassle of travelling to unsw.. meh we'll see the open days tomorrow, maybe the uni will shine itself on me that'll make me put up with the travel distance. oh and in any case, i'd probably drive to beecroft station coz i reckon that has the better parking.

kokodamonkey

HSC
no its preety much the same + unsw offers extra uai points for business degrees if u get band 5s or 6s in maths and eng.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
That was for 3/4U maths and english mainly. The pure cut off is still higher though, I don't think your mind should regard it as something to fall back on if you don't make the usyd cut off :\

Paying for D-FEE is stupid if it's just to avoid travel.

kokodamonkey

HSC
not really. money isnt an issue in my family. ITs either that or my parents might buy me an apartment near the unsw campus. My Sister went to unsw though so it musnt be that bad! Anyway i hope to get as many free show bags tomorrow as possible:D

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Do it, eastern suburbs fucking own. Walk to uni, walk to beach. What more could you want?

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
kokodamonkey said:
not really. money isnt an issue in my family. ITs either that or my parents might buy me an apartment near the unsw campus. My Sister went to unsw though so it musnt be that bad! Anyway i hope to get as many free show bags tomorrow as possible:D
...........ahaha

edit: at the 'i have so much money' -> 'i want freebies'

Last edited:

Pace_T

HSC
ppl like u should pay for ur showbags, rich cunt

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
ppl like u should pay me for answering your question, rich cunt

mat2154

HSC
i live in the hills district and i go to sbhs- unsw is a few minutes further down the road. drive to beecroft station 15-20 minutes depending on traffic, train to central 30 mins and bus to unsw probably 15 minutes. On a good day i can get to school in a bit more than an hour

kokodamonkey

HSC
Captin gay said:
I do the 1.5 hr each way.
If you do it, expect to not 'get' into uni as much as you would when living right near Campus. look at the dumsum guy, he's full into it.
yeah which is why i hope to get as much out of it possible when im there.. i.e if im there 4days a week then i'll do 4full days there etc.

politik said:
We already have enough Hill$ong fucksticks at UNSW - put USYD as your first preference.
Well im an atheist. So dont worry about me. im not "From the church".

I enjoyed the openday, i went to sydney uni last week and spent all day there going to all the dif lectures etc, that way today at unsw all i had to do was talk to the people in the roundhouse place. Really enjoyed talking to the finance guy, he was very surprised by how much i know/understand. He even asked me for my email! I reckon unsw > usyd when it comes to business/finance. but i think usyd> unsw when it comes to languages hmm.. (im interested in doing combined commerce/arts with languages as part of the arts). Still, after going today and seeing how the uni is, i think i'd be more then happy to put up with the commuting time. Though i think after the hsc finishes i'll have to do a "test run" to see what it is, (i.e. get up early one morning and get the train etc to unsw during peakhour to c what its like).

wind

HSC
Travel isn't really that big of a deal after the first few weeks; you get used to it :) I'm in my final year and I've put up with four out of five day 9am starts in previous semesters. This semester I've got three 9am starts.

It takes about 1.5 hours to get to UNSW from my place so it's a lot like you.

So don't worry about the extra travel time compared to Usyd...it's only the extra travel time to Central Station and the bus trip, which is about an extra 15-20 minutes.

I know people that live on the North Coast who made the 3 hour travel to UNSW and the 3 hour travel back. That pales in comparison to us both lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)