Interior Architecture at UNSW? or Bach. Design COFA (1 Viewer)

~kiki

HSC
Ok, so, I'm looking for someone who is currently doing/ knows someone that is currently doing Interior Architecture at UNSW. I am trying to decide between Interior Design at UTS, Bach. Design at COFA or Interior Architecture at UNSW. After going to UNSW open day, I felt pretty pumped and thought I had made up my mind.

HOWEVER... I have since heard from my careers advisor (who knows a women whos daughter does the course) that the workload is pretty INTENSE... Apparently this womens daughter has no social life, gets very little sleep and is constantly loaded with projects. Also, supposedly, the course started with 80 people and 28 people have since dropped out. :bomb:

I guess I'm looking for some other peoples experiences with the course. -- is it really that intense? How many GE unit thingies do you need (only heard about those today D=), whats the atmosphere like? What are the class sizes? Employment opportunities... work experience... etc?

Also, if anyone is doing the COFA Bach of Design, your feedback would be greatly appreciated. The COFA bach. of design is looking increasingly appealing. What is the atmosphere like at COFA?:confused:

(* I'm aware all artsy/ design related courses have a pretty big workload, but I guess I just don't want to be chained to my desk for the next 4 years of my life. Even if its "only uni" I want it to be an enjoyable, balanced and fulfilling experience, not something I absolutely hate)

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
~kiki said:
the workload is pretty INTENSE... Apparently this womens daughter has no social life, gets very little sleep and is constantly loaded with projects.
Uni, defined.

loveandhatred

HSC
I'm from B. Interior Architecture and yes, the workload is huge. I'm still in 1st year though, the load will get bigger~. Anyway, for your qns, class size is around 90-100 people. Around 6 people has dropped out/kicked out. I think more people are gonna drop the course. I'm thinking of this too. I haven't done any work experience related to this course yet though.

cuppy

HSC
N/A
i have a friend who is doing first year interior architecture at UNSW and she is constantly complaining about the intense workload. like you she was torn between interior design at UTS and interior architecture and UNSW!

shes now thinking of deferring to do something else because the course wasn't what she expected - she was interested in interior design but the course has not really dealt with it that much...she says its practically like doing normal architecutre except without the physics. its very demanding because you always have to do models and various projects, sketches, essays......yes thats right....and the one she's working on now is worth 80% and nobody really has a clue what to write about.

regardless of which course you choose the workload is always going to be intense at uni but my friend was very social during year 12 and used to go out often but now shes spending hours a day working hasn't gone out nearly as much as she used to.

as for class sizes and work experience i wouldn't really know - all i hear of interior architecture is that its hard work, but unfortunately thats life and thats uni.

~kiki

HSC
loveandhatred said:
I'm from B. Interior Architecture and yes, the workload is huge. I'm still in 1st year though, the load will get bigger~. Anyway, for your qns, class size is around 90-100 people. Around 6 people has dropped out/kicked out. I think more people are gonna drop the course. I'm thinking of this too. I haven't done any work experience related to this course yet though.
hey, thanks for the feedback :) I have a few more questions-- I hope thats ok :). Is there a work experience component to the course? When I went to the open day they said they were "working on adding a work experience component ". Also, have you got a CSP place or a DFEE? If CSP-- what are the course fees? Is there a large practical/ hands on component and lastly, is the course mainly about the structural features of interiors or does it also concern finishes and furniture? --is there a furniture design component?. Sorry for so many questions! Its just you really can't get this kind of info from the course guides-- theres no better source of information then first hand experience.

Thank you!

~kiki

HSC
loveandhatred said:
hey, thanks for the feedback :) I have a few more questions-- I hope thats ok :). Is there a work experience component to the course? When I went to the open day they said they were "working on adding a work experience component ". Also, have you got a CSP place or a DFEE? If CSP-- what are the course fees? Is there a large practical/ hands on component and lastly, is the course mainly about the structural features of interiors or does it also concern finishes and furniture? --is there a furniture design component?. Sorry for so many questions! Its just you really can't get this kind of info from the course guides-- theres no better source of information then first hand experience.

Thank you!

~kiki

HSC
cuppy said:
i have a friend who is doing first year interior architecture at UNSW and she is constantly complaining about the intense workload. like you she was torn between interior design at UTS and interior architecture and UNSW!

shes now thinking of deferring to do something else because the course wasn't what she expected - she was interested in interior design but the course has not really dealt with it that much...she says its practically like doing normal architecutre except without the physics. its very demanding because you always have to do models and various projects, sketches, essays......yes thats right....and the one she's working on now is worth 80% and nobody really has a clue what to write about.
Hey-- thanks very much for the feedback. Sory if I sound rude but, would it be possible for you to put me in touch with your friend?

Out of interest, what course are you doing? I've heard all design degrees are intense and I was wondering what other fields were like. Would you say your workload is less then your friends?

loveandhatred

HSC
~kiki said:

Thank you!
Yes, there's a CSP and DFEE. I got through using CSP. It's around 6.5 - 7k a year in CSP. We haven't done the finishes and furnitures in the 1st year, so it's just mainly how the building looks (including the type of walls, windows) and how it functions to the surrounding. You'll have to design your own furnitures with styles (e,g lightings..) in the upcoming years, definitely not in 1st year. 1st year is more of a rough work for the furnitures, you put in furnitures to just defines the use of the space. You'd have to make models throughout the course ---> in 2 subjects at least every semester. I'm not a hardworking student in the course, I'm really slack and I'm around with slack people, haha...so I can't be compared to your friend who takes the course really really seriously. There are some people in the course who stands out among the rest and did the work/presentation to the extreme and seriously, I think your friend is one of them, LOL. Also, as far as i know, if i'm not mistaken, in the 4th year, you'll deal with real client, so i think this is the answer to your "working on adding a work experience component "~?
sry if i didn't answer your qn correctly.

I think I can understand cuppy's friend LOL, our theory teacher for this semester sucks like hell. She can't teach. All she did in the class is just to read off from a book. She's monotone as well, so 1 1/2 hr with her is just so .... Also, I have to agree on what you wrote, cuppy:
"- the course has not really dealt with it that much... its practically like doing normal architecutre except without the physics. its very demanding because you always have to do models and various projects, sketches, essays......yes thats right...."
yeap yeap, that's rite ^

I'm planning to transfer course as well.

loveandhatred

HSC
^ haha, that's what my friends said too. But if you're very hardworking / really into architectural stuffs, I'm pretty sure you'll like it here. Some of the teachers are great plus, you'll have mentoring programme in the 1st few months of the course. So any problems, you can just ask your mentors. Also, you'll bound to make close friends in this course <-- i'm pretty sure of this. :D
So it's not that bad. hahaha

biggie walls

HSC
BIT LATE, BUT...

Design at COFA starts off pretty intense, but after awhile you'll learn how to better manage your time and you'll get things done alot easier.

Its a good degree and you can combine Object Design (Read: Furniture) with Interior design, cos you pick 2 studios to major in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)