question about commerce (1 Viewer)

miss_pinkii

HSC
hey guys

im going to start uni nxt yr and i was just looking at the unsw website and it says that for the b. commerce you have to do 6 core subjects (36UOC) and 42UOC for a major (if you're doing a double major). But how does it work when some of your core subjects are also compulsory for your major? Does that mean that you have to take more subjects from that major to get that 42UOC??

aargh. i hope that made sense. so confused!

ace

is retired
HSC
miss_pinkii said:
hey guys

im going to start uni nxt yr and i was just looking at the unsw website and it says that for the b. commerce you have to do 6 core subjects (36UOC) and 42UOC for a major (if you're doing a double major). But how does it work when some of your core subjects are also compulsory for your major? Does that mean that you have to take more subjects from that major to get that 42UOC??

Don't worry too much about it. Just think of it in a broad sense. You have a choice; two majors or one major and one minor. UNSW (or your school - Australian School of Business in this case) generally provide information about enroling.

If some of your core subjects are part of your major, it doesn't necessarily mean double-dip. In that case it means you have more choice to choose in electives to meet UOC requirements. Your probably thinking about accounting or economics.

Haven't looked at the other disciplines in the School of Business, but for finance, there is a handy guide available to navigate the new territory that is University.
http://wwwdocs.fce.unsw.edu.au/banking/future/First-year_brochure2008.pdf

drmix

HSC
N/A
B Commerce...

there are requirements/rules just make sure u meet them

e.g. within ur 24 subjects (or 144 UoC)

- u have to do the 6 core subjects
- complete a major/minor (8 and 4 courses) or double major (7 and 7 courses)
- all subjects from school of business (except geneds)
- do 12UoC of gened
- less than 10 first year subjects

if u can do all that theres nufin to worry abt!

Pace_T

HSC
miss_pinkii said:
hey guys

i think those courses will count as both your core and your major. so in the end you are short two subjects which will be extra options/electives that you can take. but really, what you could do is just pick other electives in your major that you couldnt fit in your 42 UOC (usually towards the end of your major) so you get to choose more of your major's options, so its basically like being allowed to have 54 UOC in that major (12 extra UOC). i hope that makes sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)