Chances of getting into UNSW Law? (1 Viewer)

miss-smexy

HSC
Hi!

I just got my UAI back today: 96.8

I applied for EAS, and so far Usyd has told me my application did go through... so I'm assuming that UNSW will also give me some bonus points. What do you think my chances will be of getting into combined law? (second round offers included)

Do they consider what UAI you got and the amount of bonus points, or do they simply add bonus points to your UAI and consider you with the rest of the applicants?

I.e. if I were allocated 5 bonus points, theoretically my *UAI* (for entrance into UNSW) would be 101.8

Does that mean that I would be considered first for a place at UNSW compared to the student who got 99.2 (UNSW cut-off)?

P.S I was just told the max they normally give at UNSW is 2 bonus points (for UAIs above 90)... is this true?! So then, if I got *98.8* (with points included) what would my chances then be for UNSW law?

Last edited:

drmix

HSC
N/A
HSC PLUS is a new scheme...

ull just have to wait and c

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
and isn't it just for a couple of courses/

like law / medicine may not be included in that scheme...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
miss-smexy, UNSW does not give bonus point for courses like combined law and medicine. There will be no bonus point.

As to your EAS scheme, please remember that a large number of applicants are also under consideration for such a scheme, like those who just misses out the usual cut-off of 99.20/99.15. You are competing for a limited number of places reserved for the EAS people (basically you are competing against those with a 96.85-99.10 UAI who also have EAS).

"Does that mean that I would be considered first for a place at UNSW compared to the student who got 99.2 (UNSW cut-off)?"

No. You will be considered for the few remaining spots for those with EAS who didn't make it to the cut-off.

miss-smexy

HSC
survivor39,

UNSW uses bonus points, not allocation for EAS spots?!

yupp and unsw only has the HSC plus scheme for other degrees but not combined law, i am aware of that! XD

Umm foxycleopatra, did your sister get an offer for main round?!

sunny

meh.
HSC
No point in asking for "chances". Things like this are going to be different every year - its no use tell you you've got a good chance and getting your hopes and vice versa. Just wait and see what happens.

HSC
my friend got 94 uai with eas she made into comm/law at unsw you should be fine

miss-smexy

HSC
It's not a "story" or else it wouldn't go through lol. You need alot of proof, documents etc.

but anyway, yes I think I'll get at least 2 bonus points for unsw if not more.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
miss-smexy said:
but anyway, yes I think I'll get at least 2 bonus points for unsw if not more.
as survivor39 pointed out, there is no bonus point system (HSC-Plus) for combined law.

basically, when you apply for EAS, two things happen:

1) Your UAI is considered in the general pool of CSP applicants. If you are in the first... 400 people (something like that), you receive an offer. The UAI of the 400th person determines the cutoff.

2) Your UAI is also considered in a separate EAS pool of CSP applicants. I don't know exactly how many of those there are, but the same thing applies. Supply-demand.

miss-smexy

HSC
Hi Frigid,

No that's only for certain universities such as USYD. However, UNSW has a different system - whereby they just add your EAS points to your UAI and consider you with everyone else.

By bonus points, I meant EAS points XD sorry my mistake!

Ademir

HSC
Yeah, the EAS letter I received from UAC said that only Macq, USYD and UTS use the allocation system (there are a certain number of EAS places, and once all regular spots are filled, those places are given to EAS students).

All other institutions use the bonus points system, where they give you extra UAI points to increase your chances of selection among the entire group of applicants.

At least, that's what I understood the letter to be telling me.

Edit: Oh, and someone I know last year got into UNSW law with a UAI of 95.xx or 96.xx (not sure exactly what). Unless they were lying (I don't know them that well), it looks sweet. However I wouldn't get my hopes up. This is the kind of thing where you would be crushed if it didn't end well :(

gman03

HSC
politik said:
Why Law...
Because it is so easy to get 99+ UAI when you've done 4U maths, 4U English and 2U IPT

Wait a minute..... are they suitable for Law?

Good point..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)