Is UNSW Your First Preference? (1 Viewer)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Did you put UNSW as your first preference? And what degree?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
UNSW is probably closer to Central Station than to Refern Station (15 min bus from Central). Not sure how far from Refern.

"How is UNSW? Academically? Socially? Well regarded degree for employment? Faculties for Science?"
Depends what major you wish to study, the number of courses available varies. In most majors, advanced and normal subjects are available in Year 1, 2, 3 to cater students of different capacities. I think the strength of UNSW is the quality of teaching - they really push hard on getting teaching right, and contant monitoring the quality of lecturing/tutorial through student quenstionnaires at the end of the course. Quality teaching = better students

Most societies (Chemsoc, Physoc, BABEsoc) have regular BBQs, and you can meet others doing similar fields of science to you.

Employment - I guess that depends on how good your marks are and how much experience you have (e.g. experience gained though summer vacation research scholarships at UNSW or other places, Honours, previous employment). I don't believe the uni you attend - alone - will determine your chance of getting a job.

As to the large number of majors - yes you do have a lot of choices - but you will ever be only interested in 1 or 2 majors anyway. I don't know what majors you are interested in so I can't comment on that.

HSC
there is no way to determine a "good" uni. you will come across people who have had both positive and negative experiences from all the different unis.

for me, i have really enjoyed UNSW, and although it is not as centrally located as Usyd or UTS, i have found the social life to be really good and the teaching really doesnt matter because it comes down to whether you decide to go to lectures :sleep:and study or not......

HSC
I put it as first for b. software engineering.

I have since then also put another option before that, of b. software engineering + b. commerce, since my UAI was significantly higher than I expected.

cheri shen

HSC
回复: Is UNSW Your First Preference?

yea! B civil engineering!

Pace_T

HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
I put it as first for b. software engineering.

I have since then also put another option before that, of b. software engineering + b. commerce, since my UAI was significantly higher than I expected.
when i was doing the hsc we had to choose our preferences before we got our UAIs, (i think, since it was so long ago lol)
and anyway, i changed 1st from soft eng to soft eng + com in the last hour that i had available to modify it. then in my first semester i dropped soft eng all together!!
not implying anything here, no siree bob! :D

HSC
Pace_T said:
when i was doing the hsc we had to choose our preferences before we got our UAIs, (i think, since it was so long ago lol)
It's still done that way, but it is still possible to change it until the 4th of Jan.

Pace_T said:
and anyway, i changed 1st from soft eng to soft eng + com in the last hour that i had available to modify it. then in my first semester i dropped soft eng all together!!
o_O

Any reasons behind this decision?

duliel

Closet nerd
HSC
HAH! I dont think I even remember... I think UNSW was my 2nd preference uni. USYD was my first, but Im glad I didn't go there.... :D

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Musk said:
James Ruse Students drop out Engineering @ UNSW

What does that mean?

lol Btw for Electrical, 1 in 5 will get the degree.
That they can't be fucked studying so hard for a degree they only picked up because it sounded like it'll make them $$.

loser101

HSC
Musk said:

What does that mean?

not suprised considering the Engineering courses UAI is so low. if you only got a UAI of around 80 and did 3u maths and physics and chem, the chances are your going to struggle with uni physics and maths.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Elec is pretty hard. gman can probably tell you more about it. I did ELEC1011 and though 'yeeer not too bad', then I did ELEC2031 and got the worst mark in my uni career. I for one definitely underestimated how hard it was going to be. For a 3uoc subject it was hell.

Pace_T

HSC
Musk said:

What does that mean?

lol that reminds me, my friend and i applied for engineering thinking yeah we're awesome!!! and that we wont fall into the 80% of people who drop out. then we dropped out, LOL!

its for the people who are reallly into that stuff and can study heaps when they get home after long days at uni. if you lack motivation eng is definately not for you.

Beege

HSC
Anyone else here want to do digital media? If not I think I have a better chance of getting in. I hate UNSW's bonus point scheme though, only visual arts for digital media? wtf what about IPT and SDD?

I want to major in sound. I would love to become a music producer or even a musician myself!. I may do a masters in business/commerce so I can start my own record label!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)