PLEASE HELP OFFER Question (1 Viewer)

Nosviper

HSC
Hey
On the 1st of January I made UTS engineering my first preference through uac. On the 3rd of January I got offered a preliminary position to UTS Engineering through uac which I accepted. Between the 3rd and 4th of January I swapped my preferences around to make UNSW Engineerning my first preference. So for the main round my first preference will be UNSW Engineering.

I will get the UNSW offer on the 17th January for the main round (wont I) even though I accepted the UTS one. This is what the UAC helpline said but im still unsure, anyone else been in this situation. My idea was over the next few weeks to decide which uni I wanna go to them follow through with the UTS offer or take the UNSW main round offer and forget about the uts offer. ?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
If your UAI is high enough for UNSW, you will get an offer. I believe you then have to formally turn one of the to offers down.

But I've been wrong before.

Nosviper

HSC
Well my enrollment for UTS is the day before main offers. So I decide for UNSW then I wont attend enrollment, accept my offer from UNSW then contact the university of UTS turning down my offer

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Here's a hint: look at whichever university offers more extra-curricular programs, the kind that offer workplace skills like leadership, time management and conflict resolution. That's what makes you more employable.

Say there's 100 people doing a course that is basically identical at both UTS and UNSW. And say that an international employer is going by a university's reputation (which they won't be by the time you graduate). Now in this hypothetical, UNSW has more recognition internationally, so they decide to pick from the 100 people from UNSW.

But you're not out of the woods yet: you're still competing with the 99 others from UNSW for the position. See where I'm going with this? If you have participated in some kind of leadership development program or the like, you'll be far more attractive to employers than anyone else. A degree is only half of what you'll need. It counts for a lot, but you need to go the extra mile.

It's workplace skills that make you the most employable. By the time you finish your degrees, employers will care less than they do now aout which university you go to. They want the most skilled people for the job, and I wouldn't be surprised if people from non-Sydney universities are chosen over people from the metropolitain institutions because they have more skills. But if you have the skills and a degree from a university with a reputation ... well, it's certainly not a guarantee, but both will go further than either can. So look at what the university offers in terms of personal development programs.

Last edited:

ace

is retired
HSC
Remember, be a nut in a shell. Hermits rule through stealth, tis why you don't hear about them!

Last edited:

KD

HSC
N/A
Nosviper said:
Hey
On the 1st of January I made UTS engineering my first preference through uac. On the 3rd of January I got offered a preliminary position to UTS Engineering through uac which I accepted. Between the 3rd and 4th of January I swapped my preferences around to make UNSW Engineerning my first preference. So for the main round my first preference will be UNSW Engineering.

I will get the UNSW offer on the 17th January for the main round (wont I) even though I accepted the UTS one. This is what the UAC helpline said but im still unsure, anyone else been in this situation. My idea was over the next few weeks to decide which uni I wanna go to them follow through with the UTS offer or take the UNSW main round offer and forget about the uts offer. ?
If you are not sure whether you will get into UNSW then you can always enrol at UTS and then if you get an offer from UNSW take that one and drop out of UTS. This way you have a place if you don't get an offer from UNSW.

It would be a good idea to check whether there would be any financial penalties from UTS for doing this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)