Adfa In Unsw....pilot??????? (1 Viewer)

explosionism

HSC
Help?

Im not attending any pilot academy untill 1-2 years time most likely but
im thinking about going to australian defence force academy and join the military seeing as they pay for everything and hopefuly end up somewhere like qantas one day(Pilot)...but im not sure if there is one in sydney and you'd have to go out of state... i have been researching adfa and in the nsw.adfa.edu.au but failed to find much detail...

does anyone know if there is one in sydney??
and know of other academy's that is in sydney...although i hear they are pretty damn expensive and there arent many afordable academys around?
if so could you show me the website?o.o

Last edited:

Metric

HSC
N/A
ADFA is in Canberra, so you will have to move to the ACT if you wish to go there. Pilots study for the Bachelor of Technology (Aviation) and need to pass an aptitude test. The UAI requirement is 85. Because of the cost of training a pilot (I have heard as high as $9m) you will have to serve in the Air Force for at least 13 and a half years.

Last edited:

Ozza

HSC
Well if you join ADFA, you can get a degree paid for and it's usually the best way for school leavers or recent school leavers to become officers and then pilots. Direct entry to become a pilot, does involve going to officer's training school in Victoria.

I don't think that they'd expect you to be in the Chair Force for 13 years to become a pilot however if you go straight to officer training, the minimum time you will join for is 11.5 years (which is a heck of a long time, so I believe that this is because of how much it costs to train you). Or if you go to adfa, you'll be in the defence force for 14.5 years (unless you do BTech Aviation, which is a UAI of 80.75, then it's 13.5 years).

Mostly however, it's simply a matter of, if you don't really want to move, I wouldn't apply for the defence force, you do end up moving a lot, I live near the Richmond RAAF base, and sometimes the turnover can easily be 2-3 years and then they'll be somewhere else, like Townsville or something.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
I don't want to join the army because haircuts are compulsory.
I'll consider it when fancy off-duty uniforms, equal mix of genders and lower minimum age for recruitment are all available.
Thanks.

Drmon

Optimistic Cynic
HSC
I recently went through all the testing to become a Pilot in the RAAF and it was all solid until the HSC began approaching at rapid speed. I hadn't been contacted in a while from my Recruitment officer and gave him a call - turns out they were full of Pilots in ADFA and he offered me a variety of courses that weren't pilot-based. I declined.

The moral of the story is: Get in early because they throw a barrage of tests at you. Computer based mostly, but also physical and essay abilities. There really is no way to prepare for them, to be honest, other then basic mental practise of maths skills (such as your basic times tables, long division, etc) and general revision of the year 12 maths course - particularly trig. This obviously won't cover you for the general pattern finding questions, but those are easy enough.

Also - Be prepared to throw a good portion of your life at it - as was mentioned earlier. ADFA Pilot training costs you 14.5 years while requiring you to move to Canberra. The facilities they have down there are great, don't get me wrong. I've seen the dorms and such and they're pretty comfortable for something that costs you only time.

If you want to ask any more questions about the testing, let me know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)