need more opinions... (1 Viewer)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
sup all, its me again, the same guy askin for those other opinions.
this time, in terms of pc parts, if anyone knows wat im blabbering about in geek speek, how would i explain to my dad i need an nvidia geforce 8800gt without mentioning how good it is for games???
since im doin engineering im thinking there would be engineering software for design, like autocad maybe? am i right? cuz if there is design software needed, then thats a reasonable excuse.

confirmations please, thanx in advance!!!

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
Hahah, man you dont do auto cad at uni anyway, you learn more advance stuff. The programs which are mainly used are matlab, and you cant find a copy of that (also requires like nothin).
Lets say you did use auto cad, firstly its $300 for a student package and the full package is like a few thousand dollars. Secondly auto cad does not require 8800gt, you can run with an nvidia fx5200. So you must make up another excuse to your dad, also the nvidia 9600gt is coming out soon and it rips 8800gt.

Also what engineering major are you doing??

HSC
Well if you use linux, you could say that you need it to run Compiz Fusion, which revolutionalises the computing experience 8)

(Note: It does not actually require 8800gt, any new, preferably nvidia open opengl gfx card should be fine).

I can't really think of much good stuff, I just thought more ram, another HD and a gfx card all at once, under the excuse, "need to upgrade new comp, so it would be even better".

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
yeah, those programs require more cpu power than gfx card and you won't be using them much either. I think you're out of luck if you're trying to find a legit uni engineering related reason to get that card...

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
Well if you use linux, you could say that you need it to run Compiz Fusion, which revolutionalises the computing experience 8)

(Note: It does not actually require 8800gt, any new, preferably nvidia open opengl gfx card should be fine).

I can't really think of much good stuff, I just thought more ram, another HD and a gfx card all at once, under the excuse, "need to upgrade new comp, so it would be even better".
lol i agree, just use a nice linux distro and get compiz fusion going and linux will be useful for your comp courses anyway. But ye, you dont need a 8800gt for uni work lawl.

HSC
I was just thinking, you could always say that you are going to be doing the computer game design subject, and you will need a high-end GFX card to design simplistic yet pretty looking games.

Vylen

HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
I was just thinking, you could always say that you are going to be doing the computer game design subject, and you will need a high-end GFX card to design simplistic yet pretty looking games.
you could probably say you want to experiment with the latest technologies provided by DirectX 10 capable graphics cards, but that might mean you have to produce good results for it to be worthwhile

ace

is retired
HSC
Omie Jay said:
sup all, its me again, the same guy askin for those other opinions.
this time, in terms of pc parts, if anyone knows wat im blabbering about in geek speek, how would i explain to my dad i need an nvidia geforce 8800gt without mentioning how good it is for games???
since im doin engineering im thinking there would be engineering software for design, like autocad maybe? am i right? cuz if there is design software needed, then thats a reasonable excuse.

confirmations please, thanx in advance!!!
Simple, just lie. Anything else would just be a cheap lie imitation.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
wow thanx ppl! i'd like to major in mechatronic engineering, if not that, then aeronautical, since my dads and aeronautical engineer for like 20 yrs. as for the 9600gt, wen is it comin out??????????????????????????
i cant wait that long, i mite get pc this sunday at a pc fair at sutherland, thats 27th january..and i cant wait any longer, i wanna play the 'arrrr me hartey' games i got from overseas that were like $3 each, incl crysis, nfs prostreet, timeshift, cod4,... but i reckon 8800gt should be fine, should last a while, i got like 6 games, and i'll have uni comin up..so my hands will be quite full thank u very much

EDIT: also, just to let some ppl know, im not gettin 8800gt just for cad software, im getting it to enhance game prettiness.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)