summer semester? (1 Viewer)

~kiki

HSC
What is the summer semester?... and for what reasons would you need to enrol for the summer semester?

Pace_T

HSC
its another semester been semester 2 of one year and semester 1 of the next... its got less courses to choose from and the selection of courses each summer semester is different. people do it to catch up if they failed a course or so they can do less courses in a future semester. look it up on the website

~kiki

HSC
Pace_T said:
its another semester been semester 2 of one year and semester 1 of the next... its got less courses to choose from and the selection of courses each summer semester is different. people do it to catch up if they failed a course or so they can do less courses in a future semester. look it up on the website
oh ok, thank you :). I did look it up, but I couldn't seem to find a definition.. just the dates for the summer semester.

could you clarify what you mean by " its another semester been semester 2 of one year and semester 1 of the next..."

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
He meant 'between'. In other words, it's during the summer break.

~kiki

HSC
uhawww said:
He meant 'between'. In other words, it's during the summer break.
ohh right :p. Do many people enrol in the summer semester? Or is it sort of like a last resort? Its just that I heard one of the students at an open day who was in their final year of interior architecture saying that the summer semester was a lifesaver and to be honest, I want to use my summers to work and travel :/. Does anyone know if alot of design students have to resort to the summer semester to catch up on GE / electives?

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Your degree will fit into the amount of years it's listed as unless you fail/under load.

And even doing that you can just extend your degree by a semester if needed.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
^ It's called winter school at Usyd.

Summer School(what i call it coz im doing it at usyd right now), it's a great way to accelerate your degree or to do less subjects durin semester to reduce the workload, etc.
Also alot of non-science students use summer school to do science subjects and prepare for GAMSAT because you have access to most staff and the lecture and tute, prac sizes are alot smaller.

Last edited:

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Lol Casmira don't confuse these poor sods!! :eek:

Summer Semester is basically the End of Semester 2 (Google UNSW Key dates 2008), so equivalent to Early December.

Enrolment to Summer Semester courses open during late October (an official date will be labelled at the Key Dates site closer to October).

I know it's quite confusing this year because UNSW decided to change its semesters, renaming, all for the sake of these 12 week semesters. Ignore the A or B letters that follow e.g. Semester 1, or Semester 2 or Summer Session, etc.

To make things easier, here's the Summer offering of courses in 2008:

http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/2008/KENSUGRDU1.html

Please note, some courses may or may not offer allocation during Summer sesson.

As for the courses, most are General Education courses (Read up on our Gen Ed FAQ if you don't know what this is, its compulsory to Single Degree ppls). While others like CHEM1011 which has a drastically high number of students failing, will be reoffered during Summer Session.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)