Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree180Likes

Thread: UNSW Subject Reviews.

HSC

Re: UNSW Subject Reviews.

Weird, lol no MICR or BIOC or BIOT based courses in any of the reviews!
    JUST Updated - Selling Year 10, Year 11, Year 12 Textbooks and PAST PAPERS [English 2unit + 3unit, Maths 2unit to 4unit, Physics, Chemistry, Economics] Some with Photos. Click on Link :
    http://community.boredofstudies.org/...d.php?t=132658

--------------2012 UNSW 1st Year Chemistry & Mathematics Core textbooks-----------------------
    http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=274109&p=5669920#post5669920

HSC

FREN2101
    Ease: 9/10 - Did french beginners for HSC but had a really really good teacher so our standard was quite high. Wasn't too difficult.
    Lecturer(s): 6.5/10 - Very very funny man (Hughues). His lecturing isn't as great as his humour though, but still okayish... Michele as a tutor was excellent - she was very harsh and strict but funny sometimes too.
    Interest: 8/10 - Interesting, fun, french. Learning languages at uni is very different to high school - much higher emphasis on grammar.
    Overall: 7.5/10

FREN2102
    Ease: 8.5/10 - see above. It is a continuation of French 2A.
    Lecturer(s): 6.5/10 - see above.
    Interest: 8/10 - see above.
    Overall: 7.5/10

FREN3101
    Ease: 8.5/10 - much harder than level 2 french. More complicated grammatical concepts and the like. Assessments are so much harder and frequent. Finals were an absolute killer.
    Lecturer(s): 8.5/10 - alexis know her stuff very well. as too also valerie, who is also sooo nice.
    Interest: 8/10 - see above.
    Overall: 8.5/10
    [font=verdana]
    B Commerce
    (Acc, Fin)/B Arts (French) @ UNSW V
    Exchange: S2/09 - S1/10 @ ESSEC, Paris

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Rekkusu
    Weird, lol no MICR or BIOC or BIOT based courses in any of the reviews!

*waits for Rekkusu to submit his reviews*

PhD, University of Cambridge, 09-12
    MSc, UNSW, 08-09
    BMedSc (Hons I), UNSW, 04-07

HSC

ENGG1000

Ease: 7/10 - pretty awesome bludge subject, easy credit but it got a little more intense later because we had to meet the project deadline.

Lecturer(s): 3/10 (Stephen, Nooshin, old man...) - Any of them hardly interested me.

Interest: 6/10 - We made a straw bridge lol how fun and it wasn't too stressful.

Overall: 7/10 - Not bad not bad, a chance to escape from maths a little. Some engineering principles were boring but crucial e.g. impact assessments and report writing?

MATH1131

Ease: 5/10 - The maths was at near 4-unit level, I could cope with that since my attitude towards maths now is different to the HSC back then.
    What shits me is the calculus strand was a lot harder to absorb, see below.

Lecturer(s): 10/10 (Pahor) and 4/10 (Blennerhasset) - Pahor is the algebra strand lecturer and is easily the best lecturer for maths ever and everyone loves him. Blennerhasset on the other hand keeps attendance to a smaller class size because of his technique. But we do love the idea of issuing $5 to the lucky person who spots his mistakes.

Interest: 4/10 - The fun new topics to me were all in algebra such as complex numbers and matrices, finally the use of computing is necessary and I can solve huge simultaneous equations using Gaussian elimination.
    Basically if it's maths, it's boring.

Overall: 5/10

ENGG1811

Ease: 9/10 - Fortunately computing was my strength.

Lecturer: 4/10 (Whale) and 5/10 (Mahidadia) - Besides showing us mistakes which is good and so on he recites his lecture slides, so can we and that's probably why lecture attendance rates for many people in this class is low. Mahidadia, what you explain will be more interesting if you spoke up louder than you did, please.

Interest: 10/10 - Awesome subject. Good marks and they teach stuff practical in the world of computing in engineering, science and finance.

Overall: 9/10

PHYS1121

Ease: 2/10 - Problem solving is not my strength and physics targets this specifically.

Lecturer(s): 8/10 (Wolfe) and 7/10 (Burton) - Wolfe is very amusing and entertaining when he provides physics demonstrations although his notes are a god damn mess and look like my own personal notes for anything.
    Burton on the other hand focuses on basic physical concepts in his lectures and attempts to be on par with Wolfe with his own set of fun physics demonstrations and his lecture notes are much more tidier which is a relief.
    Burton is more keen to keep the lecture together, always by requesting silence.

Interest: 6/10 - Physics is fundamental to all sciences and we almost get to simulate god by manipulating a lot of things mathematically. The stuff we learn is old and new (relative to HSC Physics) and the topics were all right (didn't like waves too much or mechanics).

Overall: 5/10

HSC

FINS2643-

ease: 8.6/10 , a lot of volume but wasn't difficult at all.

lecturer: 3.3/10 (Kingsley)- hopeless, just read off lecture notes and was disorganised most of the time.

Interest: 6.8/10 can get pretty boring at times and the textbook is a pain to read.

Overall: 7.5/10. Realtively easy elective in the Finance major, useful subject material that you can apply to everyday life. Good way to boost up you WAM.
    Last edited by Laphonso-Ellis; 2 Jul 2008 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dash
    Why am I so complete yet other cats are so flawed?

HSC

Hmm, i'm bored so i'll do my other subjects:

MARK1012
    Ease: 8/10 - really wishy-washy theory and just logical/boring general stuff. if you can bs* then you'll be fine.
    Lecturer(s): 6/10 - is not highly entertaining. persisted to go (first sem of my first yr, felt bad if i didn't) until i couldn't stand it anymore.. that was about the 8th week. she basically repeated the textbook.
    Interest: 6.5/10 - average... quite boring though. too theoretical.
    Overall: 7/10

ACCT1501
    Ease: 4/10 - ummm.. yeah assessments were hell-hard, but that's cos we had caitlin ruddock and she wanted to kill us all ahhh *death* but other than that, reflecting upon it - it was okayish if you kept up with the workload and did your tute hw.
    Lecturer(s): 5/10 - liked dianne, not andrew or caitlin - went too fast in my opinion.
    Interest: 6/10 - it wasn't overly interesting, but it wasn't boring either.
    Overall: 5.5/10

ECON1202 (QMA)
    Ease: 9.5/10 - was fine except for the times when they have a lot of new/more difficult content in one lecture and they rush through it.
    Lecturer(s): 10/10 - but this is because I had Simon Angus <3 - best lecturer to date - ever. he's gone off to monash apparently so
    Interest: 9/10 - maths in a business context, what's not too like? lol and matrices were the bomb! however most people dislike matrices...
    Overall: 9.5/10

ECON1203 (QMB)
    Ease: 4.5/10 - content was very cold and distant, you have all these symbols and shizz - it's very fustrating. not a symbols type person, hated it so much.
    Lecturer(s): 4/10 - experienced two... louis was the better of the two... he was actually interested in what he was teaching, however he has a bit of an accent so hard to understand and also the content is immensely boring.. John ablett on the other hand....... one of the crappiest lectures i've ever had. he even tried threatening us to keep us in after the lecture if everyone didn't "stop talking" -.-'
    Interest: 1/10 - um hardly any at all for me.......
    Overall: 2.5/10

LEGT1711
    Ease: 7/10 - if you did your readings and went to tutorials and understood the materials, it was fine-as. took some time to get used to the way legal works though.. it's a different type of thinking/learning in comparison to maths or etc.
    Lecturer(s): 9/10 - bruce was magnifique - he was not only able to completely engage every single student but also knew his stuff and was very interesting.
    2/10 - Janet however........................................... ............ i fell asleep in the front row by myself. lesson learnt. monotonous and complete regurgitation of txtbook.
    Interest: 8/10 - ended up learning half the content myself due to janet's boring lectures and not going to them. the textbook is hard to read as there is so much and they go around and around in circles. but once you get used to it, it was extremely fascinating as you touch on so many aspects of law.

ACCT1511
    Ease: 8/10 - again with accounting in general, if you do your readings, go to lectures and do your tute hw, it's completely fine and everything makes complete sense.
    Lecturer(s): 9/10 - leon and peter were fantastic - especially leon, he had such horrific and lame humour it made things highly entertaining. helen was an excellent lecturer too however she was a tad sarcastic which i didn't take a liking to.
    Interest: 8.5/10 - loved cash flow statements, that totally did it for me. other than that, most other aspects were very interesting. totally different to acct1501.
    Overall: 8.5/10

ACCT2522
    Ease: 7.5/10 - the assignment was more difficult in comparison to everything else in the course. other than that, content made sense etc.
    Lecturer(s): 8/10 - nicole was awesome, linda has a lot of 'now it's YOUR turn!' examples and Yee was okay...... Yee for consult was fantastic though!
    Interest: 8/10 - not bad, made sense and everything connected with each other.
    Overall: 8/10

FINS1613
    Ease: 4/10 - found it too be quite quite challenging. a lot of complex maths and theory jumbled together - argh.
    Lecturer(s): 2.5/10 - the only reason why i persisted on going to lectures was because i knew i'd probs fail otherwise... zian is............................ just as monotonous as janet austin in legal...
    Interest: 5/10 - umm certain elements of it were interesting, but other than that not much.
    Overall: 4/10

LEGT2721
    Ease: 6.5/10 - contracts is much harder, especially promissory estoppel. other than that, it all ends up making sense if you try hard enough to understand it. tpa is quite simple.
    Lecturer(s): 6/10 - we had kerry cos the usual lecturer wasn't able to lecture this sem. she was okay, have had better - she wasn't able to make it interesting enough for me to keep attending lectures though. and i didn't like the way that she basically talked about everything that was in the textbook and nothing much more, and she went into too much depth into a lot of cases that wasn't needed.
    Interest: 8/10 - as with legt1711, i ended up having to teach myself practically 3/4 of the course from textbook and tute notes from class. somehow this always ends up with me being interested in the content, but definitely not as much during semester...
    Last edited by shoxgeneration; 28 Jun 2008 at 11:41 PM.
    [font=verdana]
    B Commerce
    (Acc, Fin)/B Arts (French) @ UNSW V
    Exchange: S2/09 - S1/10 @ ESSEC, Paris

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by shoxgeneration
    ACCT1511
    Lecturer(s): 9/10 - leon and peter were fantastic - especially leon, he had such horrific and lame humour it made things highly entertaining.
    I remember those two from 2006, peter is a very good lecturer and tutor, and leon is quite lol

ECON2206
    Ease: 9/10 - I found this super easy, as long as you did the tute work each week (takes like 30min max)
    Lecturer: 6.5/10 - Garry really knows what he's talking about. At first I really hated the lecture (and subsequently the subject) but once you got used to the way he talks, it wasn't so bad. I actually started to enjoy the course about 1/2 way through.
    Interest: 3/10 - not even close to being an interesting subject, quite dull but still a nice change from word-heavy subjects.
    Overall: 7/10 - despite being a super boring subject, i still enjoyed it somewhat

LEGT2721/LEGT2741
    Don't do it. Just, no.

HSC
    Uni Grad

FINS2643
    Ease:7/10. most of the time it was'nt difficult but remembering everything in the end was quite difficult. especially for tax and superannuation.
    Lecturer: 2/10Kingsley? fucking LOL
    Interest: 8/10
    Overall:7.5/10

ECON3121
    Ease: 7.5/10. just as long as you knew the first half of the course and also followed the tutes, it should be fine.
    Lecturer: 1/10. Quan. Friggen WTF! I did not understand his english.
    Interest:4/10 not as interesting since the lecturer made it seem shit.
    Overall:6/10

PSYC1011
    Ease:9/10. you just had to tune in for the first bit of the course.
    Lecturer:variety. though most of them are really interesting
    Interest:8/10
    Overall:8.5/10

BHS '05
    B Economics '10
    Economics/Finance

Graduate of University of No Sexy Women

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by wrong_turn
    ECON3121
    Ease: 7.5/10. just as long as you knew the first half of the course and also followed the tutes, it should be fine.
    Lecturer: 1/10. Quan. Friggen WTF! I did not understand his english.
    Interest:4/10 not as interesting since the lecturer made it seem shit.
    Overall:6/10
    Ease: 5/10 imo - definitely not an easy course
    Lecturer: 5.5/10 - I thought Quan wasn't as bad as everyone made him out to be. Usually when I sat near the front I was able to internalise/understand most of what he was trying to convey, but a few times i sat near the back I completely zoned out and was not able to concentrate at all. i dunno, maybe that's just me
    Interest: 6.5/10 - I found most of the 2nd half topics to be quite interesting, the 1st half was absolute torture though.
    Overall: 6.5/10 - Only take it if you're interested in (slightly) harder econ concepts, a lot of basic maths. If you can handle those you should be fine.

HSC

ECON 3101
    Ease: 7/10 If you went to all the lecturs and went through the problems at home you could generally handle the material. Very maths/problem based, more so than Micro 2. Gernerally the people who pick the micro electives did well at micro2. so if this wasn't you, maybe this subject isn't for you.
    Lecturer: 8/10 Arghya Ghosh. Probably one of the best lecturers I have had. But I have liked all my economics lecturers. Did stuff up some content, but took it out of exams.
    Biggest dislike: the time spent on voting theory, was interesting but not practical to test, which he did. Also did not like the fact the final was on the whole course, was a pain to study for.
    Overall 8.5/10: one of the most useful subjects In economics I have done to date. finished with some solid skills that I can take into the workforce. 12 week session stuffed the subject up somewhat.

FINS 3616
    Ease: 6/10 exchange rates are just confusing, you generally make mistakes. I've done fx so many times now in other subjects but they are still a pain.
    Lecturer: 4.5/10 - Kingsley - no surprise here. Stopped going to lectures as he would focus on things he was interested in and not even examine them, so there was no benefit. Generally, all materials for the course were from the textbook's instructures manual, including: lecture slides and examinations.
    Biggest dislike: An assignment on currency forecasting, where no real techniques were taught in the course. Also the tendancy to test one sentence in the textbook would have been annoying for a lot of people, I was lucky in this regard. I'm sure others were not.
    Overall 7/10 : This is a subject you do need, and it is a core subject. It helps to fit in all the pieces together of a finance major. Should definetly leave it until the final year after all the other core subjects are completed.

FINS2624
    Ease: 5/10 not because the subject is hard. With effort it is very easy to get on top of the content. However, the testing procedure in this subject, with 65% of your mark based on two multiple choice exams is very hit and miss. You either know it all, or know nothing. So the subject does not reward people for partial knowledge, which is frustrating.
    Lecturer 5/10: Yip - often criticised students, which was fair in some cases. But in a 12 week session to suggest that students aren't working is a bit rich. Also the comment after the midsession that "the fact someone got 34/37.5 for the exam indicated the midsession was not hard" is a bit rich when the average was 20. Basic statistics could suggest that result may be an outlier. The lecturer lost my respect when he dropped down to the students level in cases like that.
    Overall 7/10: Another subject you need to do, where you do learn some skills. 12 week session stuffed it up again as the interesting bits were breezed over. Was not happy with the assessments for the subject.
    "And now we play the waiting game, ahh the waiting game sucks lets play hungry hungry hippos"

Class of 2004

HSC

MFAC 1501 (foundations lol)
    Ease 9/10- nothing is examinable but it is basically a review of hsc bio plus 'introduction' to all the disciplines of medicine. 'introduction' because they go straight into the meat of it.
    Lecturer- 9/10- all lecturers are quite good. high standards...
    Interest 10/10- everything was interesting lol. although I fell asleep in some monotonous lectures, if you review their slides, it's pretty interesting.
    Overall- 9.5/10- I'd say one of the best courses!! (even if I haven't been to any other.)

MFAC 1503 (BGDA)
    Ease- 4/10 - this is the first examinable teaching unit. It is by no means easy. Lots of stuff to memorise and learn out of the 52 lectures, 10 ish pracs and ~15 sgs and tutes. They test u 2 hours on EVERYTHING.
    LEcturer- 8/10 - although most lecturERS were the same as foundations (and maintained their standards), i must admit one particular lecturer did not quite meet his foundations standards... although his pracs are very good, his lecture was just all over the place plus his hand waving to demonstrate his lecture only served to confuse us more...
    Interest- 9/10 - one below foundations as personally, there were just SOOOOO much stuff covered that it sort of discouraged us. Assignments are good, but since there are 4 options and you pick one, everyone was on different standards of knowledge. If you did a particular assignment, you basically specialised in one area but that meant you had nooo idea on another area.
    Overall- 7/10
    UAI 99.65
    UNSW MBBS
    Subjects:
    maths ext1 96
    maths ext2 94
    english adv 93
    physics 94
    chemistry 96

tuition details: http://www.tutorfinder.com.au/tutor/jennyh.php

HSC

FINS2643
    Ease: 9/10
    Lecturer(s): 7/10 kingsley i cant understand him, but he has nice lecture notes
    Interest: 7/10

FINS2624
    Ease: 6/10 (never went o lectures)
    Lecturer: Yip isn't the best lecturer to hit unsw, i find him rude but nice at times; tells students off for random shit
    Interest: 5/10 very boring, but a must do subject

FINS3630
    Ease: 8/10
    Lecturer: 9/10. Tho is a top lecturer, engages you alot in the work
    Interest: 8/10.
    Overall: 9/10. good to see how banks work

LEGT2721
    Ease: 7/10 a lot of content to remember, but i never went to lectures so i learnt it all in 1-2 weeks
    Lecturer: 10/10. Kerry's a great lecturer, goes out of her way to help out and will even mark exam responses via email
    Interest: 6/10 - never had an interest for it, but its good t know
    Overall: 8/10. its good i liked it
    B Commerce (Business Law/Finance) @ UNSW DONE
    Medicine?? 2010

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by beentherdunthat
    FUCKING FAILED QMA
    FAILED
    FAILED
    =[ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Q1) wtf
    Q2) Relates to q1 . further wtf
    Q3)
    Q4)
    Q5)
    q6) :'( :'(

an hour later - Evacuated.
    haha qma is fucked, i heard they made this semesters exam more calculus orientated. im glad i got out with my minimum knowledge of general maths
    B Commerce (Business Law/Finance) @ UNSW DONE
    Medicine?? 2010

HSC

FINS2624
    Ease:5/10 hated the asessment criteria and we didnt get a proper feedback for all the assessments we did.
    Lecturer: 3/10 Yip's lecture notes were exactly same as his textbook
    Interests: 4/10

FINS3630
    Ease: 8/10
    Lecturer: 7/10 Tho. although his english is hard to understand but he gave alot of tips to prepare for the midsem/final
    Interests: 7/10
    Overall: 8/10 Good subject, highly recommended for FINS major ppl

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by darkwolfzx
    wow this thread has progressed far

*Updates PDF*
    Hey I don't see much, you could shove in a quote or two from subject reviews in this thread into your PDF.

HSC

Math1031:8/10
    Easy, but the lecturers r ok~

Chem1011:8/10
    The toturial is sooo stupid. The lab is also boring....but the lecture content is ok...

Bios1201:8/10
    The lab is interesting...but some of the lectures r really boring...Pro.Edward's is recommended strongly~

Bios1301:0/10
    I am so regret to choose this course...A waste of money and time...To be honest the professor who is responsible for this course didn't organise it very good...Damn's lectures r so stupid and sleepy...some pictures with one word consists his PPT...Oh my god...how can I choose this course~:burn:

HSC
    The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reason"...

This is a website...
    Bach. Chem eng/comm at UNSW

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra
    This is a website...
    He probably meant that CSE students should publish what's in this thread onto a stand-alone website.

Cadet
    HSC

BABS1201 (Molecules, Cells and Genes):
    Ease: 9/10
    Lecturers: 5/10
    Interest: 1/10
    Comments: Easiest course ever. Anybody that has completed HSC biology should be able to gain a distinction in this course with minimal effort, which also makes it very repetitive and uninteresting. Most people who study this course, however, have no choice.

CHEM1031 (Higher Chemistry 1C):
    Ease: 6/10
    Lecturers: 6/10
    Interest: 8/10
    Comments: Perhaps my most difficult first year course, this course is not for the mere rote learner! Dr Haines seems to have put a lot of effort into his lecture notes and they are rather detailed. The other lecturer who taught organic chemistry (whose name I cannot seem to recall) was boring to the point that a student remained asleep in his seat well after the lecture had finished! Another student had to shake him to wake him up! Despite all this, I found the content interesting as it was something I had never come across in, say, high school.

MATH1131 (Mathematics 1A):
    Ease: 7/10
    Lecturers: 7/10
    Interest: 7/10
    Comments: This course is a HSC Mathematics Extension 1 prerequisite course and it certainly lives up to that standard! Perhaps a third of the content was derived from HSC Mathematics Extension 1/2 content, but the remainder was entirely new, making it challenging but not entirely hopeless. Dr Chris Bose, my algebra lecturer, seemed to have this enthusiasm and passion for the content he was teaching, making it easier to pay attention. Unfortunately, I hear that he is returning to Canada, his home country, before the second session. Dr Rob Taggart, my calculus lecturer, is prone to making mistakes in his work. However, the effort he places into making his lectures more interesting and easy to understand is definitely clear and makes up for any silly errors.
    Paperclip83 likes this.

HSC

I could make a website about this, but I'm too damn lazy. Or am I?

Would anyone care to donate money for a domain name? I hate forking out 10 bucks for a domain every time I do something.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Starcraftmazter
    I could make a website about this, but I'm too damn lazy. Or am I?

Would anyone care to donate money for a domain name? I hate forking out 10 bucks for a domain every time I do something.
    meh it doesn't need a domain, just use the CSE domain and put it in this thread and ppl will click it

HSC

I can't use the cse domain because I don't own it :P

dark: Wiki's are ok for some things, but this could really benefit from a submission and selection process type website. Kind of like that site someone made which is supposed to make a really good timetable for you. Using a wiki is in effect no different to using a forum in this scenario, there will still be a lot of overhead.

PS. Are ya back?

HSC

i was under the impression all CSE students get webspace at like ~CSE/something

for some reason

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by uhawww
    i was under the impression all CSE students get webspace at like ~CSE/something

for some reason
    Webspace != good hosting. CSE hosting certainly isn't, it doesn't even have php5, and I don't know if we're even allowed mysql or postgressql, etc.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Starcraftmazter
    Webspace != good hosting. CSE hosting certainly isn't, it doesn't even have php5, and I don't know if we're even allowed mysql or postgressql, etc.
    ah i see

the wiki is def a better idea then

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information