Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree180Likes

Thread: UNSW Subject Reviews.

Cadet
    HSC

Re: UNSW Subject Reviews.

FINS1613
    Ease: 7/10 - The fortnightly quizzes were sometimes a bit difficult + theres a lot of content but it all made sense in the end, final wasnt as bad as i was expecting
    Lecturer(s): 8/10 - Katherine? was good
    Interest: 8/10
    Overall: 7.5/10

ACCT2522
    Ease: 7.5/10 - everything was fine till the finals which were totally like WTFFFF
    Lecturer(s): 7/10 - average
    Interest: 7/10
    Overall: 7/10

LEGT1711
    Ease: 8/10 - I found the 3 pg lecture notes to be great
    Lecturer(s): 8/10 - actually liked janet
    Overall: 8/10

HSC

This needs something of a bump, seeing as it's the end of session.

I'll add a review when I'm done with my 3 exams and 2 essays that are really, really overdue.

HSC

MICRO2011:
    Ease- 8, nothing you learn is overly difficult & the course content isn't overwhelming; the exams are all short & long answer, no mcq; which I like but may not appeal so much to those with whom english isn't the 1st language.
    Lectures- 7, lectures only became interesting towards the end with antibiotics, the guy doing viruses forgot to show up to 1 lecure.
    Interest- 7
    Overall-8

ANAT2241 (histology):
    Ease- 8
    Lectures- 10
    Interest- 9
    Overall-9

Pat is awesome, and his study notes make the finals cake.

PHPH2101:
    Ease- 7, quite a large amount of content to learn, a few difficult concepts in neurophysiology.
    Lectures- 7, CVS and neurophys lectures were great, muscle lectures the guy made it out that this was the 10th time he'd had to teach this and was bored out of his brain.
    Overally- 8

BIOC2011:
    Ease- 6, lots and lots of enzymes / pathways to learn, which is very dull...
    Lectures- 7, Mike Edwards is hilarious, the guy who did lipid metabolism had very hard to understand notes that kept me reading the textbook to understand wtf was going on.
    Interest- 5, combined with the labs, this is a fairly dull subject ZZzz..
    Overally- 6

EDIT- After reflection, giving path a bad rating wasn't justified, I actually didn't mind that much having to do my own independant research to create my own notes, rather then having another subject where you just regurgitate lecture notes in exam.
    Last edited by Tim035; 3 Nov 2008 at 7:41 AM.

HSC

These reviews are great! Has anyone done ACCT3563?

HSC

FINS3640:
    Ease- 5, Assignments had absolutely no relevance to the lecture material that we had covered. It was mainly to (what we speculated) help him with his research.
    Lectures- 3, Smart lecturer, but has the worst organisation skills, freaking lazy, vague. For example, we had NO idea of what we were going to cover in the next lecture. Course outline had some readings, but wasn't even relevant to the lecture material we were covering.
    Little to no WEBT CT interaction. No discussion forum, no announcements, no assignment coversheets uploaded to webct, no past exams, no results posted up, etc. So we basically had to attend the lecture to get all assignment questions, go to lecturer/tutorials for our marks, study off just the lecture slides for the exams.

Also, the exam was out of nowhere. 3 Questions, 30marks each. And it was just a long answer question (one of them had derivation question in it). Average was 51% and i got around 30-40%. Worst midsem ever.
    Interest- 4, Seemed like a good subject in theory, thought was going to learn a lot of practical skillsets.. but that was in theory. I think i learned nothing from this subject.
    Overally- 3; Avoid this subject with the lecturer; "JONOTHAN REEVES". Apparently the previous lecturer made this course good.
    NSW UAI - 'o6 - 90.45
    Undergraduate Course - 'o7 - Bachelor of Commerce - UNSW
    'o8 - Usyd Kendo Club

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by ditto
    Nope

HSC

回复: Re: UNSW Subject Reviews.

MATH1231
    Ease: 6/10 - The prerequisite was a pass conceded from MATH1131, which was pretty crappy compared to MATH1231 anyway
    Lecturer(s): 8/10 - Ellis was a pretty awesome lecturer, Roberts was so and so, Tisdell on the otherhand was damn awesome

MATS1101
    Ease: 8/10 - It provided a good balance of memorising and thinking when it comes to learning and wasn't hard to understand
    Lecturer(s): 7/10 - Crosky is a pretty cool guy and so is Granville because it will be your loss if you don't ask Granville questions given the opportunity, but as for Bishop he will just read off slides on an overhead projector. I don't like that.
    Interest: 8/10 - The online tutorials were very good although the labs frustrated me a little, Choi was a damn awesome tutor and without a foreign accent I can definitely understand what she is saying

CVEN1300
    Ease: 5/10 - The course got much harder especially the topic of geometric properties in the statics component, but hey, I should feel sorry for the people in MMAN1300. The way this course was taught wasn't good enough.
    Lecturer(s): 5/10 - I like how Vrcelj hands out lollies but she talks a little too slowly and her acccent makes her a little harder to understand. The dynamics lecturers tend to just read off slides, one of them has a thick asian accent, what?
    Interest: 5/10 - Not much fun
    Overall: 5/10

CVEN1701
    Ease: 5/10 - Although there is a lack of mathematics, the theory is tiresome
    Lecturer(s): 6/10 - Moore is a slow talker but encourages discussions which is excellent, Turner is a good talker and highlights important keywords for us in the notes and van den Akker is alright
    Interest: 3/10 - Boring course, only the systems engineering component was remotely worth learning
    Overall: 2/10 - Hate this course and I will not enrol in it again if I fail (and hope not)

HSC

Re: 回复: Re: UNSW Subject Reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Forbidden.
    CVEN1300
    Lecturer(s): 5/10 - I like how Vrcelj hands out lollies but she talks a little too slowly and her acccent makes her a little harder to understand.

CVEN1701
    Lecturer(s): 6/10 - Moore is a slow talker but encourages discussions which is excellent, Turner is a good talker and highlights important keywords for us in the notes and van den Akker is alright
    Turner is the best lecturer in the school, closely followed by the geotech (kurt and adrian) the other water guys (ron and bruce).

Subject review time (grouped, since all the courses have changed since i did them...)

1st year civil: Maths, physics, chemistry, basic mechanics, computing
    This stuff seems hard when you do it. Half of it you will never touch again, the other half (concepts and basic methods) will be used so often that it will become second nature. The bad news is that if you can't do statics, you're boned for 2nd and 3rd years. Don't underestimate the powar of computing. Take a look at the programs in the lab comps, they can do your homework for you in pretty much every subject. Get good at cad or slope software or struc analysis or hydro modelling or matlab or systems modelling. Everyone will love you and beg for your assistance.

Industrial training:
    12 weeks is mandatory and usually taken after 3rd year. Try to do 12 weeks after 1st, 2nd and 3rd years, with different employers in different areas. Pick up a 1-or-2-day-a-week job for 3rd & 4th years. You'll have HUGE advantage over everyone else if you can manage to do this.

Geotech
    Not nearly as hard as it looks if you just do all the practice questions out of H&K. Great lecturers help. KNOW YOUR STUFF beforehand and nasser will give you extra marks for answering questions in the lecture, I picked up 5 or 6 marks this way (although I suspect that he doesn't actually add them on at all...) Pick one geotech elective so you can go on the field trip in fourth year. DO IT. Career is hell - nobody can see what you do, nobody wants to pay for it and you only get credit for disasters. Try to get job at PSM.

Structures
    Go buy HB2.2, or photocopy the entire thing. You need it. The new course has crap structure. Lecturers either cater for advanced students (steve and tinloi) or for the morons (zora + mario). It's not hard, everything you need for design is in HB2.2, everything you need for analysis can be easily copied off examples (open book exams). If you are a dull person or have poor english, this is the career for you. Aim to work at Arup.

Construction & Management
    These courses are the easy option, guaranteed DNs for everyone, HDs if you aren't a moron. Boring lecture material - try to distract the lecturers, they're really interesting people. dCar likes talking about how stupid politicians and students are, steve likes talking about projects he's worked on (and is deceptively smart, liek genius level smart, but it doesn't show because the material is so easy).
    Try and get work experience in construction before you decide on it as a career. I did - 60hr weeks, rural placement, dealing with bogan construction workers all day, not for me. Go for big companies, there's more variation in the projects to keep it interesting.

Transport
    Dull. Easy option for honours. Aim for a design consultancy, road construction is the worst job in the world.

Water
    AWESOME (biased...)
    Seriously, it's awesome. Hydraulics courses are easy, there's only liek 3 principles. Find a good tutor, copying off the board will get you nowhere. You must do the tutorials to not suck at this stuff. Water treatment course is crap. Hydrology with ashish and matt is fun, they have good notes. Coastal / beach is the best course ever. None of this is too easy, you have to teach yourself how to do the stuff, it's not spoonfed like in structures. Careers abound, try WRL for an awesome working environment or one of the big consultancies. Phd scholarhips everywhere.

HSC

Re: 回复: Re: UNSW Subject Reviews.

CVEN1300
    Ease: 5/10 - The course got much harder especially the topic of geometric properties in the statics component, but hey, I should feel sorry for the people in MMAN1300. The way this course was taught wasn't good enough.
    Lecturer(s): 5/10 - I like how Vrcelj hands out lollies but she talks a little too slowly and her acccent makes her a little harder to understand. The dynamics lecturers tend to just read off slides, one of them has a thick asian accent, what?
    Interest: 5/10 - Not much fun
    Overall: 5/10

CVEN1701
    Ease: 5/10 - Although there is a lack of mathematics, the theory is tiresome
    Interest: 3/10 - Boring course, only the systems engineering component was remotely worth learning
    Overall: 2/10 - Hate this course and I will not enrol in it again if I fail (and hope not)
    I thought you were doing mechanical engineering?
    Last edited by Mumma; 27 Nov 2008 at 11:30 AM.
    BEng Mechanical/BSc Computer Science

UNSW

HSC

回复: Re: 回复: Re: UNSW Subject Reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by drewbrow1
    Turner is the best lecturer in the school, closely followed by the geotech (kurt and adrian) the other water guys (ron and bruce).

Subject review time (grouped, since all the courses have changed since i did them...)

1st year civil: Maths, physics, chemistry, basic mechanics, computing
    This stuff seems hard when you do it. Half of it you will never touch again, the other half (concepts and basic methods) will be used so often that it will become second nature. The bad news is that if you can't do statics, you're boned for 2nd and 3rd years. Don't underestimate the powar of computing. Take a look at the programs in the lab comps, they can do your homework for you in pretty much every subject. Get good at cad or slope software or struc analysis or hydro modelling or matlab or systems modelling. Everyone will love you and beg for your assistance.

Industrial training:
    12 weeks is mandatory and usually taken after 3rd year. Try to do 12 weeks after 1st, 2nd and 3rd years, with different employers in different areas. Pick up a 1-or-2-day-a-week job for 3rd & 4th years. You'll have HUGE advantage over everyone else if you can manage to do this.

Geotech
    Not nearly as hard as it looks if you just do all the practice questions out of H&K. Great lecturers help. KNOW YOUR STUFF beforehand and nasser will give you extra marks for answering questions in the lecture, I picked up 5 or 6 marks this way (although I suspect that he doesn't actually add them on at all...) Pick one geotech elective so you can go on the field trip in fourth year. DO IT. Career is hell - nobody can see what you do, nobody wants to pay for it and you only get credit for disasters. Try to get job at PSM.

Structures
    Go buy HB2.2, or photocopy the entire thing. You need it. The new course has crap structure. Lecturers either cater for advanced students (steve and tinloi) or for the morons (zora + mario). It's not hard, everything you need for design is in HB2.2, everything you need for analysis can be easily copied off examples (open book exams). If you are a dull person or have poor english, this is the career for you. Aim to work at Arup.

Construction & Management
    These courses are the easy option, guaranteed DNs for everyone, HDs if you aren't a moron. Boring lecture material - try to distract the lecturers, they're really interesting people. dCar likes talking about how stupid politicians and students are, steve likes talking about projects he's worked on (and is deceptively smart, liek genius level smart, but it doesn't show because the material is so easy).
    Try and get work experience in construction before you decide on it as a career. I did - 60hr weeks, rural placement, dealing with bogan construction workers all day, not for me. Go for big companies, there's more variation in the projects to keep it interesting.

Transport
    Dull. Easy option for honours. Aim for a design consultancy, road construction is the worst job in the world.

Water
    AWESOME (biased...)
    Seriously, it's awesome. Hydraulics courses are easy, there's only liek 3 principles. Find a good tutor, copying off the board will get you nowhere. You must do the tutorials to not suck at this stuff. Water treatment course is crap. Hydrology with ashish and matt is fun, they have good notes. Coastal / beach is the best course ever. None of this is too easy, you have to teach yourself how to do the stuff, it's not spoonfed like in structures. Careers abound, try WRL for an awesome working environment or one of the big consultancies. Phd scholarhips everywhere.
    i will need to brush up on CAD and MATLAB.
    lol thanks for the civil overview anyway although im heading towards mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by Mumma
    I thought you were doing mechanical engineering?

I can be quite impulsive in my decisions, it was first Electrical, then Civil and now Mechanical (enrolled in flexible first-year).
    However when I tried to enrol in 1st year Mech Eng subjects for session 2 there were severe problems so I decided to enrol in the Civil Eng subjects taking advantage of flexible first-year.
    As a result of this I missed out on MMAN1300 and MMAN1130.

Executive Member
    HSC
    N/A

COMP1927
    Ease: 6/10 - I guess it was because the assignment was hell (from my perspective).
    Lecturer: 7/10 - Jas provides clear concise notes, but unfortunately most of the students prefer to talk among themselves in the lecture theatre.
    Interest: 7/10 - Theres a good range of algorithms and how they are suited to different scenarios but sometimes becomes a bit too much

PSYC1011
    Ease: 8/10 - Just go to the lectures, listen, cram the notes, you should be cool
    Lecturers: 7/10 - As an overall rating. We had a multitude of lecturers from different areas of psychology, because first year courses aim to give you a large spread on what you can focus on in later years. Westbrook, although considered by many in the school to be a genius on animal learning, only managed to attract 20 students max per lecture. The statistics component by Goran was also very dull, difficult to follow and the slides were tricky to understand.
    Interest: 7/10 - I have to admit this semesters psyc was duller in comparison to psyc 1a, probably because we were focusing more on the biological aspects of psychology this semester. Still areas such as perception and cognition showed us some very interesting and humourous applications of visual illusions.

PHIL1010
    Ease: 8/10 - Very straightforward lectures, although lots of readings. Shouldn't be hard if you make an effort to do the weeks readings for a couple of hours each week. Assignments can be a pain though, as they abhor ambiguity. So bullshitting your way through might help, but won't deliver any respectable marks.
    Lecturers: 7/10 - Karen Lai is a lecturer that helps invigorate your interest in what you are learning in the lecture. Her catch is that you do miss out on a great deal if you skip lectures. Phillip Staines is also a decent lecturer, although slightly dry in his delivery. His post lecture transcripts on webct are also handy to go over when doing revision.
    Interest: 8/10 - I have to say that this course opens your eyes to many methods of argument, as well as sharpening your bullshit detector in reading news articles and opinions. You can detect how people make false arguments, and how to strengthen your own arguments by pointing their fallacies out.
    Overall: 7/10 - The exam was kind of crap, too much reading.

PHIL1014
    Ease: 7/10 - There will be some philosophers that you will understand and there will be some you won't. Fortunately when they assess you, you can pick which topic you would like to write your essay on, given a particular question. Life can be a lot easier if you also go beyond the lecture material and visit the reserve section of the library to expand on your ideas for your essay. I've actually found the recommended texts to be better than the internet.
    Lecturers: 8/10 - Simon Lumsden tries to deliver his lectures in a slow and steady manner, but often changes tack midway through a concept, which I found very irritating and was the reason why I failed to understand most of the philosophers he taught. Tim Raynor on the other hand is the best philosophy lecture I have ever come across. His analogies and his enthusiasm in delivery make him outstanding in allowing us to understand the material being brought forward.
    Interest: 8/10 - There are many good ideas that come from the philosophers at hand. My favorites were Karl Marx and JP Satre.
    Overall: 8/10 - There is no final exam, just a 45% essay

P.S the philosophy courses were my science electives, I'm not doing arts.

HSC

Chem1021
    Lecturers:8/10, I don't like the organic part, the lecturer did not provide all the lecture note slides on webct...The inorganic and physical chem parts r fine...
    Interest:8/10, If u r interested in chem, u will find this course is interesting...But I do believe most people choose this course not because they r interested in it...
    Overall:8/10

Math1041
    Lecturers:6/10, There r two streams for course, one is from Salt-lake City, USA. His lectures r pretty interesting, highly recommanded. The other guy is ok, but his handwriting is soooo massive...
    Interest:7/10, How to say? I think many people r interested in the chocolate. But they taught how to use the software R, which is pretty useful. (I use it to plot datas for continuous variation spectrum)...So I will say if u just use Excel, u really miss a good chance.
    Overall: 6.5/10

Biot1011
    Lecturers:8/10, all the lecturers r good, I remember a Greek guy, his lecture is about how to use biotech degrade the pullution, which is highly recommanded.
    Interest:7/10, Maybe this is just introduction for biotech, so the content is not professional, so not my type.
    Overall:7/10

Chem2839
    Lecturers:8/10, Dr.Stride and Dr.Colbran r both active researchers. So sometimes, they can link the lecture content to the real research, which is pretty good. Dr.Stride is focus on physical chem, so his part is a little bit hard for people who r not good at calculation and just have limitted physics knowledge, make sure u understand all the formules about simple harmonic oscilation before taking this course. Dr.Colbran's part is focus on complex structure, which is relatively easy, but still need a lot of work.
    Interest:9/10, I enjoy this course, especially for the lab work.
    Overall:8/10
    Last edited by EdmondDW; 27 Nov 2008 at 12:16 PM.

Executive Member
    HSC
    N/A

Ok I've updated the pdf, after lunch I'm starting up a wiki, we're gonna move this thread over.

HSC

Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: UNSW Subject Reviews.

I can be quite impulsive in my decisions, it was first Electrical, then Civil and now Mechanical (enrolled in flexible first-year).
    However when I tried to enrol in 1st year Mech Eng subjects for session 2 there were severe problems so I decided to enrol in the Civil Eng subjects taking advantage of flexible first-year.
    As a result of this I missed out on MMAN1300 and MMAN1130.
    You dont want to miss out on MMAN1130 Design for Manufacture. From an hands-on engineering viewpoint it was the most useful course I've done, although the lecturs were fucking shit and the tutes even more useless - the TAFE component makes up for it. If you didnt know you get to go to TAFE and make stuff in the workshop, and most probably your group project will be a pneumatic/hydraulic pump. Make sure you do it first semester next year. Its a group-project based course (no final exam), and is a good introduction to CAD. MMAN2100 (another design based subject) will fuck you over if you don't do MMAN1130 IMHO, cause you will be learning the very basics of CAD/Design while everyone else will be zooming along with a 12-week head start.
    BEng Mechanical/BSc Computer Science

UNSW

HSC
    N/A

ACCT 1B : Easy. Not very interesting, but much better than 1A.

MACROECONOMICS 2B: The new lecturer (Alex Dimitriev) changed the course. Made the assessments ridiculously easy compared to previous years. Much more interesting course as well.

ECONOMETRIC METHODS: Much harder than Introductory econometrics, but quite interesting if you like playing around with computer statistical packages.

Applied Corporate Finance: Make sure you get a good group for the group project (25%) and you are set. Quite interesting, but the lecture delivery is somewhat tedious.
    Beware of Kingsley Fong's special: one-slide trick questions not covered in the book, that appear as 20% long answer questions in the mid sem and finals.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by ditto
    ACCT3563:

Ease: 5/10 - this isn't an easy course; that being said, it isn't incomprehensible either. I'm assuming you've done 2B? It probably falls smack bang in the middle of the difficulty of 2A and 2B, if that gives you any indication.
    Lecturers: 6/10 - some of the lecturers are good, some - well, not so much. Remember 2B - and those handwritten overheads? Well, they don't return, but the man behind them does :P And he brings along a stack of lecture slides that are completely ripped off from the textbook, in addition to being like seriously 60 pgs long.
    Interest: 6/10 - accounting sucks, it's hardly ever interesting.
    Overall: 6/10 - it's better than 2B :]

EDIT: So I could put up some psych reviews - since it seems like no one else past first year frequents these forums..!

PSYC2001 (Research methods 2):
    Ease: 6.5/10 - How easy you find this subject will really depend on how good you are at statistics. Quite a few people fail this course each year, but if you study everything thoroughly and work through the examples each week, you'll be fine.
    Lecturers: 8/10 - Considering how most psych students don't really like math, the lecturers did an admirable job of dragging us through all the concepts.
    Interest: 2/10 - come on, it's stats!
    Overall: 5.5/10 - PSYC2001 is a prerequisite for all the third year courses - basically there's no way around it and it is a pretty boring subject. That being said, the lecturers (Julie Henry and some one else - can't remember who it was in my year) are pretty good, and it'll definately help with the results section of all your reports, so it's bearable

PSYC2061 (Social and Developmental Psychology):
    Ease: 8/10 - There isn't a massive leap between first year and second year psych - they're taught in much the same way, cycling through lecturers and topics to give you a better idea of the third year courses you want to take. If you read your lecture notes carefully (you don't really need to do textbook readings, although some lecturers *cough* Helen *cough* do ask questions from the textbook)
    Lecturers: 8/10 - It really depends on what style of lecturing you like; most of the lecturers in this course for 2007 were really good. All of them were really engaging - the only complaint I would have is that one was a tad disorganised. Forgas' accent was a little hard to understand - you might have to re-listen to his lecturers.
    Interest: 8/10 - learning about how psychologists test how babies learn was heaps interesting and imo, nothing can beat the social material - incredibly interesting stuff. You might recognise quite a bit from first year though.

PSYC2081 (Learning and Physiological Psychology):
    Ease: 7/10 - There is a fair bit about the brain in this course, which increases its difficulty. Out of all the psych subjects (excluding stats), the neuropsychological stuff is amongst the hardest you can study.
    Lecturers: 1/10 - This is by far the worst run psychology course I have ever come across. Lecturers were adding to the assignment a couple of days before it was due, if that's any indication. Westbrook is not that bad a lecturer - but he's very disorganised and in this course, it doesn't help. The female lecturer who took the second part of the course was even worse - I can't remember why (I may have blocked out those horrible memories :P) but I distinctly remember not enjoying her lectures.
    Interest: 7/10 - could a psych subject not be interesting? If you like to know how the brain works, this course is for you
    Overall: 5/10 - it's an interesting course but it's horribly disorganised and the lecturers kinda suck.

PSYC2101 (Assessment and Personality):
    Ease: 7/10 - most people found that the final assignment for personality was the worst psych assignment ever. The assessment stuff is quite easy to learn; there is a lot of content because you're learning about all kinds of psychological tests. Personality is quite easy too, but again there is a lot of content because you're taught every theory of personality under the sun.
    Lecturers: 8/10 - the lecturers are pretty top notch - easy to understand and to follow, slides organised etc
    Interest: 7/10 - the assessment part was really interesting; in tutorials you get to play around with parts of the WAIS and it's all very fun. The personality part didn't really appeal to me at all, which surprised me; you basically learn about every kind of theory there is, eg psychodynamic (I hate that stuff -_-) and learn what those kinds of theorists would say about some form of behaviour.
    Overall: 7.5/10

Will do 3rd year subjects tomorrow :P I'm all worded out for tonight..!
    Last edited by fat_penguin; 11 Dec 2008 at 12:39 AM.

HSC

not many arts subject reviews! boohoo

here are mine:

HIST1021- 20th C World History
    - Basically covers 20thC, mostly European stuff but also broader themes rather than events/places etc eg/ colonization, total war, fascism.
    - Assessments pretty straightforward- a bibliography/research task, a major essay, class test and tute participation

Ease-8.5
    -if u attend lectures etc quite easy
    Lecturer-8
    there were 2 lecturers, both quite straightforward. lectures sometimes abit rushed as alot of subject matter to cover in short period of time
    Interest- 9
    if u like modern history/ hsc history u will like this. i really liked this subject!
    Overall- 8.5

HIST1010- SE Asian History
    - pretty much covers a couple hundred years of se asian hist mainly Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia

Ease- 7.5
    Content isnt hard but the way they space out assessments is so annoying! you have to do 8 mini comprehension tute responses worth 5% each! plus a major essay plus class test and participation!

Lectures- 7
    Can be quite tedious and boring. also no podcasts and no lecture notes. only an overhead projector with a brief summary on it. literally fell asleep in some of these lectures!

Interest- 6
    u really have to have a passion for se asia for this subject. it can be very dry and its very different to east asian studies (which i hoped it would be like so thus i had little interest in!)

Overall- 6.5

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by darkwolfzx

PHIL1010
    Ease: 8/10 - Very straightforward lectures, although lots of readings. Shouldn't be hard if you make an effort to do the weeks readings for a couple of hours each week. Assignments can be a pain though, as they abhor ambiguity. So bullshitting your way through might help, but won't deliver any respectable marks.
    Lecturers: 7/10 - Karen Lai is a lecturer that helps invigorate your interest in what you are learning in the lecture. Her catch is that you do miss out on a great deal if you skip lectures. Phillip Staines is also a decent lecturer, although slightly dry in his delivery. His post lecture transcripts on webct are also handy to go over when doing revision.
    Interest: 8/10 - I have to say that this course opens your eyes to many methods of argument, as well as sharpening your bullshit detector in reading news articles and opinions. You can detect how people make false arguments, and how to strengthen your own arguments by pointing their fallacies out.
    Overall: 7/10 - The exam was kind of crap, too much reading.
    This course was terrible. So dry and boring. Somewhat useful, but it really didn't stimulate thought in the same way other philosophy has done with me. Additionally, it is easy as piss. I didn't go to a lecture at all apart from the first week, I handed both of my assessments in 2 weeks late and I didn't really study for the exam. I got 58 for it. That's how fucking easy it is.

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

hey, is there a subject review guide thing for gened subjects? anyone know the link? cheers

Banned
    HSC

So, let's start:

MATH2019:
    Ease: 10/10 - Easiest course ever so far, contains mathematics that all civilised human beings must learn eventually.
    Lecturer(s): 10/10 - For both Tisdell and Pahor the best lecturers ever.
    Interest: 10/10 - Explains the advanced engineering mathematics that gets sneaked into first year.
    Overall: 10/10 - WIN course.

MMAN2100:
    Ease: 5/10 - Not well explained, only made easier because of sample content.
    Lecturer(s): 4/10 - Ramble and needs to be more clear with answers.
    Interest: 2/10 - Shit gay.
    Overall: 3/10 - Booo I hope I pass this course.

MMAN2400:
    Ease: 6/10 - Well, I like how there are more examples.
    Lecturer: 8/10 - Pretty cool guy that Prusty guy, smack more furniture.
    Interest: 7/10 - Failure theories are serious business.

ARTS1690
    Ease: 6/10 - What?
    Lecturer(s): 8/10 - Pretty cool guys.
    Interest: 7/10 - Somehwhat interesting especially when there are scenarios of ambiguity.
    Overall: 6/10 - OK

HSC

ACCT1501:
    Ease: 8/10 lecture notes are really helpful
    Lecturer(s): unfortunately we had about 4... khalifa was good, although no one else seemed to like her, had an awesome tutor though 10/10 there
    Interest: lecture interest - 3/10; coursework - 7/10

ECON1101 (Micro1):
    Ease: 6/10 harder than I thought
    Lecturer: 6/10 lecturer was alright, regurgitate textbook
    Interest: when you do your readings - 8/10, when you don't - 4/10
    Overall: 5/10 I think they could do it more effectively

ECON1202 (QMA):
    Ease: 6/10 Did 2U maths, so some stuff was harder - calculus at the end
    Lecturer: 9/10 Bunting was the best, apparently others fared a lot worse
    Interest: 8/10 good considering I'm not a big fan of maths; financial + matrices were my favourites

MGMT1101 (Global Business Environment)
    Ease: 9/10 for comprehension; 7/10 for getting marks
    Lecturer: 8/10 David, was quite good
    Interest: 9/10 pretty interesting stuff, but if you're not interested, then don't do this subject (seriously, you will find it v. vague)

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by wendyw217 View Post
    ACCT1501:
    Ease: 8/10 lecture notes are really helpful
    Lecturer(s): unfortunately we had about 4... khalifa was good, although no one else seemed to like her, had an awesome tutor though 10/10 there
    Interest: lecture interest - 3/10; coursework - 7/10

ECON1101 (Micro1):
    Lecturer: 6/10 lecturer was alright, regurgitate textbook
    Interest: when you do your readings - 8/10, when you don't - 4/10
    Overall: 5/10 I think they could do it more effectively

ECON1202 (QMA):
    Ease: 6/10 Did 2U maths, so some stuff was harder - calculus at the end
    Lecturer: 9/10 Bunting was the best, apparently others fared a lot worse
    Interest: 8/10 good considering I'm not a big fan of maths; financial + matrices were my favourites

Ease: 9/10 for comprehension; 7/10 for getting marks
    Lecturer: 8/10 David, was quite good
    Interest: 9/10 pretty interesting stuff, but if you're not interested, then don't do this subject (seriously, you will find it v. vague)
    I had Louis Yeung for QMA this semester. The lecture was only 1/4 full near the end, yet Louis Yeung thanked everyone for their patience and understanding... lol. The numbers started dwindling from week 3 onwards, PASS was more popular XD

"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?" — George W Bush, Florence, South Carolina, January 11, 2000

When around law students, "Invitations to Treat" will create some commotion :rofl2:

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by wendyw217 View Post
    ECON1101 (Micro1):
    ooooh you're not going to like micro 2...

HSC

ECON2206 (Introductory Econometrics)
    Ease: 7/10 Ironically, I'm finding it easier than I did with QMB. It's all mostly focused on regression and accompanying hypothesis tests
    Lecturer(s): Garry was alright although some hated him. Seems like a fair lecturer in terms of final examinations so that's +1
    Interest: 5/10 It's all still pretty boring at the end of the day
    Overall: 6/10

ECON2209 (Business Forecasting)
    Ease: 4/10 Not an easy course. Mostly explained in mathematical notation, hard to absorb and quite vaguely explained.
    Lecturer: 5/10 Lecturer was incredibly boring and evening lecture times aren't very encouraging to go to
    Interest: 0/10 This course is completely redundant. That's what you'd think if your tutor was constantly responding to questions with "I don't know??" and "Not sure, you really don't need to use this stuff". In addition, last section of course is not even examinable.
    Overall: 2/10 An utter waste of time

ECON3104(International Macroeconomics)
    Ease: 6/10: As difficult as Macro 2 with the same rough amount of content
    Lecturer: 9/10 Glenn Otto is a great lecturer who is thorough and interesting to listen to
    Interest: 8/10 Basically, an extension of macro 2 with a greater emphasis on money market.(Exchange rates/inflation rates/interest rate/fiscal/monetary, etc).

Ease: 9/10: Content is very straightforward yet getting high marks requires more analysis and comprehension
    Lecturer: NA - I've never been to a management lecture in my life
    Interest: 9/10 Better than management fundamentals with a nice, interesting perspective of foreign business environments

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by TehAzner View Post
    I had Louis Yeung for QMA this semester. The lecture was only 1/4 full near the end, yet Louis Yeung thanked everyone for their patience and understanding... lol. The numbers started dwindling from week 3 onwards, PASS was more popular XD
    Hey, i'm in his class too!
    Wanted to wait till the end today (i usually do) but i was going to be late for my tute in the Law building so i left 5 minutes early.
    Your right about attendence of his lectures, barely anyone went towards the end!

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information