Like Tree181Likes

Thread: UNSW Subject Reviews.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Re: UNSW Subject Reviews.

I will also list out an uncommon one

MECH9420 - Composites

Ease: 5/10
    there are 3 assignments which require a lot of time and effort. the 2nd assignment is a bit difficult if you have no previous FEA experience and will be spending a lot of time in the lab figuring shit out. (tip: crash a MMAN4410 lab and ask the demos for help)
    the labs are done in large groups (mainly with other ching chongs) so teamwork is very limited. you need to know what is going on in the lab (calculations, how to use instron, etc)

Lecturers: Prusty, Lyons both 8/10
    they are really good lectures, they do go above and beyond to help you understand, the lecture slides are pretty good. It is essesential to attend lectures because they do some calcualtions that come up in the final exam

Tutor: arab guy? 6/10
    he was a shy/quiet guy which made his teaching ability hindered. He mainly went through the tutorial questions and if you had questions he would explain it very consisely without much details. Nevertheless, most of us understood the concepts. and tutorial q's came up in the final exam. Don't be scared of the huge formulas and inverting 3x3 matrices

Overall: 8.5/10
    I had an interest in the area because it appealed to me. you will need to invest a huge amount of time to do the assignments and labs but it is pretty rewarding to see lab stuff and simulations work out -> makes u feel like a real engineer imo
    Free MX1 Notes: http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering (I have no idea anymore) @UNSW IV

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - - obliviousninja's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

TABL2741 - Entities

Ease:
    • Nothing really made any sense to me during the semester but became clear to me when I was revising in Stuvac. Pretty much this whole subject is rote learn. The textbook is your best friend.
    • Got 10/10 and 9/10 in the quizzes, and 18/20 for the assignment.
    • Finals was a bit cucked, but manageable. If you leave study to the last minute you are bound to struggle.

Lecturer:
    • Biggest bait. They allocate 3 hours lecture slots, when they just go for 1 hour. Never went to a lecture, just echo360 and chill. Lecturer is pretty good and explains things well.

Overall:
    • 8/10. Some of the cases were pretty interesting. Very fortunate that this semester's assignment wasn't hard compared to other semesters. The work load is way less than taxation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritual Being View Post
    I apply my snaking skills into LoL, which is the basis of my success.
    There's no better snake than Teemo.
    HSC Aim: 95+ ATAR (Achieved) | Course: USYD Commerce (Co-op) | Current work: Big 4 Acct. Firm

HSC
    Uni Grad

last one for me, been a fun 4 years going over education units and 2nd/3rd yr math units that are lacking here, ill finish off on the final compulsory education unit for UG

EDST4081 - Professional Issues in Teaching

Content: 8/10
    The ethical and legal side of teaching that is inevitable in the career, lots of interesting stuff that makes you question yourself and the volatile nature of teaching and is quite good if you enjoy philosophy.

Ease: 8/10
    2 main assignments, can be quite tricky to write given its not a normal essay but one that focuses more on ethics and philosophy. Annotating evidence can be a pain for the 2nd assignment. However, given how much help they place in lectures and tutorials - they legit give you past examples, I find it hard for anyone to fail unless you truly fuck up and be like 5 days late.

Lecturers: Niesche 8/10
    I personally dont agree with his view of education as he seems to be more on the social justice side though his lectures werent too bad, calm voice and really knowledgeable on his stuff

Tutor: Whittle 7/10
    Harsh marker compared to other tutors I hear, but is helpful during tutorials and really wants to make sure u understand the content well

Overall: 8/10
    Solid 8 week course that covers most of the ground of ethics, philosophy and professionalism. A nice course to end your degree on.
    Last edited by RenegadeMx; 20 Nov 2017 at 8:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    other bos-ers have a penis pic sharing club and i'm debating whether i want in on it or not

~just so i belong~
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    who cares about your timetable - you should be going into uni every day to study and do whatever regardless

HSC

ELEC2133
    Ease: -∞/10
    Everything else: +∞/100
    Don't wanna say anything about this. It's just like gambling. You never have control on anything. All assessment tasks are "quick mafs"

MATH3411
    Ease: 9.5/10 - I feel like it's slightly harder than 2099. It's more about one's natural ability in maths.
    Lecturer: Dr. Thomas Britz (10/10) - I think he's popular enough so no need for more comments.
    Tutor: Same (10/10). The written solutions are pretty good for learning as well, but the methods for some questions can be quite intuitive and tricky.
    Overall: 10/10 Relatively easy and less time-heavy, but still needs regular work on it, as there are lots of concepts to memorise. If it weren't Britz, it could get horribly boring.
    Mark: 92 - Satisfied, but quite a few ppl got lower than expected, so don't take it for granted

MATH2099
    Ease: 10/10 - Algebra is very plain and straightforward. 8.5/10 - Stats is a bit harder, and the tests could be a bit stuffed-up.
    Lecturer: Dr. Lee Zhao for Algebra (8/10) - A bit meh, just goes thru the examples as normal. Huge disappointment that Pahor is not around, but still glad to have his slides.
    -- (you'll know when you do it) for Stats (6/10) - Reads off the slides most of the time, with a few examples occasionally. Could be a grumpy dick and very mean with putting up solutions. Doesn't even tell what the tests and exam will cover. Absolutely harsh marker and extremely arrogant.
    Tutor: Dr. Bill Ellis for Algebra (9/10) - Very knowledgeable and mainly goes thru those harder questions, so you'll learn a lot. But here are a few tips if you enrol in his tute (to avoid being yelled/laughed at or losing lots of marks in the tests)
    1. Don't sit in the third row (or whichever row that you see no one's sitting in);
    2. He will allocate a seat for you in the test - don't just go in;
    3. At least have a look at the questions before each tute, as he will call people to answer randomly;
    4. Make sure you write down all the steps that you could think of in the test. Full mark is possible;
    5. As for asking questions, I haven't seen him shouting at anyone who asks "stupid" question.
    No point of changing tute. Heard the other tutor(s) could also be this harsh.
    (?). Ken for Stats (5/10) - Massive dick again. Personality is weird, a bit abusive. He looks as if he'd love to see ppl fail, and his marking is harsh af as well. If you see this old man, change to another tute ASAP pretending you have a timetable clash or whatever.
    Overall: 6/10 The content itself is not a problem at all. However the staff in this course is like a collection of all the ultimate dicks in the School of Maths who suffer from mental issues of various levels.

ELEC2142
    Ease: 9/10 - Quite dry and straightforward, not a typical ELEC course. Labs are a bit dumb, but written exams are pretty friendly.
    Lecturer: Dr. Chamith Wijenayake (9.5/10) - Knows the stuffs very well, explains things clearly. Usually pretty nice to students. Could have sped up a bit in lectures (I always played the recording with 2x speed).
    Tutor: Same (10/10). Unlike most EET tutors he has a lot to talk about instead of just writing down the solutions. Also some tute question came up in the final exam almost unmodified. Definitely worth going.
    Lab: If you're someone who is serious about your works, this could be the best thing to piss you off. In terms of contents it's nowhere near difficult; it just takes a while to debug sometimes. But when it comes to lab assessment, the marker will ask questions that sound so vague that I'm even doubting whether it's human language. You'll be really fked unless you ask them to further clarify the questions. The lab exam, which takes up 10% of the course, is even more bs. The questions are like messing around and never get to what they mean. Idk why someone with that kind of English level could be employed to write questions in such an important scenario. This was even worsen by the marking of an arsehole demo.
    Overall: 9/10 - Pretty chill course, but apparently they're trying to over-complicate it to make it harder.
    Mark: 90
    Last edited by Hillsdbdsndmldsl; 11 Dec 2017 at 1:41 AM.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdbdsndmldsl View Post
    MATH2099
    Ease: 10/10 - Algebra is very plain and straightforward. 8.5/10 - Stats is a bit harder, and the tests could be a bit stuffed-up.
    Lecturer: Dr. Lee Zhao for Algebra (8/10) - A bit meh, just goes thru the examples as normal. Huge disappointment that Pahor is not around, but still glad to have his slides.
    -- (you'll know when you do it) for Stats (6/10) - Reads off the slides most of the time, with a few examples occasionally. Could be a grumpy dick and very mean with putting up solutions. Absolutely harsh marker.
    Tutor: Dr. Bill Ellis for Algebra (9/10) - Very knowledgeable and mainly goes thru those harder questions, so you'll learn a lot. But here are a few tips if you enrolled in his tute (to avoid being yelled/laughed at or losing lots of marks in the tests)
    1. Don't sit in the third row (or whichever row that you see no one's sitting in);
    2. He will allocate a seat for you in the test - don't just go in;
    3. At least have a look at the questions before each tute, as he will call people to answer randomly;
    4. Make sure you write down all the steps that you could think of in the test. Full mark is possible;
    5. As for asking questions, I haven't seen him shouting at anyone who asks "stupid" question.
    No point of changing tute. Heard the other tutor(s) could also be this harsh.
    (?). Ken for Stats (5/10) - Massive dick again. Personality is weird, a bit abusive. He looks as if he'd love to see ppl fail, and his marking is harsh af as well. If you see this old man, change to another tute ASAP pretending you have a timetable clash or whatever.
    Overall: 6/10 The content itself is not a problem at all. However the staff in this course is like a collection of all the ultimate dicks in the School of Maths who suffer from mental issues of various levels. The final mark tho, would be reasonably good as long as you put the work in (I promise, although the final exam is not that easy).
    Wow, not sure if actually legit. I remembered during my time with him, he was the biggest dickhead of a tutor. He never went through questions properly as he preferred us to do it ourselves at home and always told us off for not being able to do the questions (I thought tutorials were suppose to help you with questions you may have but nope). I still laugh today when his class started at 41/41 full capacity and within weeks later the class numbers ended up as 12/41.

HSC
    N/A

Hi, I was wondering if I would need the textbooks for ANAT2111 and PHSL2101 if I have access to notes my friend made for te entire course?

Thanks!!

HSC
    N/A

ACCT1501 - took in 2017S1

Content: 9/10
    Honestly have a genuine interest in accounting and financials so this may be skewed. Pretty much builds a solid foundation for ACCT1511/acc major.

Ease: 9/10
    Ez HD if you attend pass classes and use the study guide cuz many questions which were in finals/mid sems were from there.

Lecturers: Youngdeok 8/10
    Knows his shit
    Chuan Yu 7/10
    Knows her shit but goes too damn slow at the start of the lecture and speeds up the last few slides
    Conor Clune 8/10
    Knows his shit but u gotta really listen out for the hints for the exam and what they like to ask in the finals

Tutor: Kitty 9.5/10
    Allows you to get class participation easily and can explain concepts really well

Overall: 10/10
    Make sure you really know the concepts well by the end of 1501 as a lot of stuff in 1511 builds up on that knowledge.

ECON1101 - took in 2017S1

Content 8/10
    Overall pretty interesting but gets boring after awhile

Ease 9/10
    The hard part is phrasing your knowledge into a form that markers like during the class tests. Try to be as specific as possible and you should have no issues with that. Free 20% from playconomics.

Lecturer
    Alberto 20/10
    Best lecturer ever, explains concepts really clearly and engages students in lectures

Tutor
    Roni 10/10
    Explains concepts clearly and is pretty much a fair marker for the class test

Overall 10/10
    Easy HD but finals were a little tricky. Encourage you to read up online on microeconomics and do those MCQs from other universities if you want to score well.

MGMT1001 - took in 2017S1

Content 7/10
    Boring and its all common sense but put into a course

Ease 7/10
    Concepts were pretty easy but just boring in nature

Lecturer
    Lynn Gribble 8/10
    Shares too much about her life story in her previous work experience but is able to link management concepts to that. Vague when it comes to explaining essay requirements
    Katherine 4/10
    Doesn't follow the textbook and honestly have no idea what is she trying to get at every lecture
    Hugh Bainbridge 9.5/10
    Honestly really engaging even tho I watched his lectures online. Able to link real-life examples to course content which was fantastic

Overall 8/10
    Ended up getting a distinction for this, even though i studied half the textbook. Tip: merge concepts together and look at the big picture when attempting the essay questions in final exam

ECON1203 - took in 2017S1

Content 10/10
    Honestly really interesting and you will need to understand statistics esp if you plan to work in finance industry

Ease 7/10
    Last time I did high school math was 6 years ago so I had some trouble remembering all my math fundamentals but pass really helped.

Lecturer
    Jonathan Lim 7/10
    Likes to over-complicate the content and just write a whole list of formulas just to derive one formula. Doesn't directly answer questions.

Tutor
    Lee2 10/10
    Was really strict with assignment marking but to make up for that she taught the concepts really well which helped me to excel in the finals.

Overall 8/10
    Pretty much a wam killer though i got a distinction for it - pretty much spent a lot more time on this compared to mgmt1001 and only got 1% higher for overall grade lul.
    Last edited by chadbonham; 27 Nov 2017 at 1:50 AM.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by SuxMATH View Post
    Wow, not sure if actually legit. I remembered during my time with him, he was the biggest dickhead of a tutor. He never went through questions properly as he preferred us to do it ourselves at home and always told us off for not being able to do the questions (I thought tutorials were suppose to help you with questions you may have but nope). I still laugh today when his class started at 41/41 full capacity and within weeks later the class numbers ended up as 12/41.
    Ah damn, that's gross. I wouldn't be surprised to see that happens tho. Luckily it's the last compulsory math subject in my elec eng degree

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Amy R View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if I would need the textbooks for ANAT2111 and PHSL2101 if I have access to notes my friend made for te entire course?

Thanks!!
    No the lab books and lecture material is enough

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - - obliviousninja's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Thumbs up Re: UNSW Subject Reviews.

MGMT1101

Content: 6/10
    • Pretty much a mash of HSC business studies and economics
    • Mostly boring but not to the point where it became mind-numbing; ethics topic was alright
    • Content was too generalised to be actually useful in the real world

Ease: 9/10
    • Written memos: Hard to score high marks in these, but if done properly should get high C or D
    • CP/attendance: Didn't participate at all (tutor probably didn't even know my name to record my CP anyways), did decent for this section though.
    • Final exam: 60MC; started studying only in the afternoon of the day before; ended up finishing the exam in 30 minutes

Lecturer: ?/10
    • As with all my subjects, I am too turnt from the night before to bother attending lectures, so I cannot say anything in regards to the lecturer quality
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritual Being View Post
    I apply my snaking skills into LoL, which is the basis of my success.
    There's no better snake than Teemo.
    HSC Aim: 95+ ATAR (Achieved) | Course: USYD Commerce (Co-op) | Current work: Big 4 Acct. Firm

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdbdsndmldsl View Post
    MATH2099

ELEC2142
    Ease: 9/10 - Quite dry and straightforward, not a typical ELEC course. Labs are a bit dumb, but written exams are pretty friendly.
    Lecturer: Dr. Chamith Wijenayake (9.5/10) - Knows the stuffs very well, explains things clearly. Usually pretty nice to students. Could have sped up a bit in lectures (I always played the recording with 2x speed).
    Tutor: Same (10/10). Unlike most EET tutors he has a lot to talk about instead of just writing down the solutions. Also some tute question came up in the final exam almost unmodified. Definitely worth going.
    Lab: If you're someone who is serious about your works, this could be the best thing to piss you off. In terms of contents it's nowhere near difficult; it just takes a while to debug sometimes. But when it comes to lab assessment, the marker will ask questions that sound so vague that I'm even doubting whether it's human language (Idk who made up those questions, but no offence to the demos). You'll be really fked unless you ask them to further clarify the questions. The lab exam, which takes up 10% of the course, is even more bs. The questions are like messing around and never get to what they mean. Idk why someone with that kind of English level could be employed to write questions in such an important scenario. Hands up immediately if you find anything in doubt during the exam.
    Overall: 9/10 - Pretty chill course, but apparently they're trying to over-complicate it to make it harder so that not many ppl get HDs.
    Mark: 90
    How did u find out ur 2142 mark already? I thought 2133 and 2142 got added to myunsw at the same time so there was no way to tell which is which? Then again we get our results tomorrow so it wont make a huge difference if i can find out mine now, but still just wondering. Unless ofc u did 2142 before this year.

Cadet
    HSC

ECON3208
    Content - 7/10. You'll either love or hate it. The main idea of the course is to find a workaround to a violation of certain GM assumptions, as well as some advanced applied time series/panel data stuff. An extension of 2206 stuff, and a core for an emetrics major. Assignments generally require you to create and test some sort of model for a data set.
    Ease - 6/10. would not recommend cramming this course. The content is a large step up from 2206 and the slides will often leave you scratching your head. There's also quite a bit of it every week. I recommend watching SpartacanUsuals's videos for guidance, and doing the homework every week (there honestly isn't much - like 2 conceptual and 1 or 2 STATA based questions every week), and you'll be fine. However, was kind of annoying how the lecturer couldn't offer answers to finals past papers (because he was independent).
    Lecturer - 7/10. Minxian yang - seemed confused at times, although he explained concepts just fine. Only giving him a decent mark because pre-final assessments were marked super nicely which is a caveat of this course - Ive heard horror stories about other lecturers (not gonna mention names) that failed a large portion of the cohort. If you can, try to take it in S1 as I've heard the lecturer is nice.
    Overall - 6.5/10. Final was marked harshly or all marks were significantly scaled down, probably because everyone had at least an 80 going into the final lol. Yang's final was alright despite me being 'dafuq is going on' after like Week 6 (NLMs) but I still recommend taking this in S1.
    Last edited by Traxoom73; 1 Dec 2017 at 12:42 PM.

HSC

TABL2741
    Ease: 8/10. Concepts and cases were straightforward. The hard work was in memorising a lot of criteria and lists. The quizzes asked about small random details, so it was a bit difficult to prioritise your study. But the course was way easier than Business Taxation.
    Lecturer: 8/10. Dotte was engaging and good at explaining things. In the tutorials she gave us clear steps for solving problems and mapping everything out.
    Interest: 7/10. I liked the topics with a lot of cases, while all the other topics were dry or pretty much learned in another course (e.g. corporate governance and business and the law).
    Overall: 7.5/10. Pros: Good coverage of corporate law with some interesting cases. The individual assignment was alright.
    Cons: The quiz MCQs asked for details in the slides I thought were really trivial. On the other hand, I spent a lot of time studying the last two weeks' content but none of it was in the final exam.

aoc
    HSC

FINS1612
    Ease: 8/10, concepts are straight forward, calculations are just memorising formulas, nothing conceptually difficult
    Lecturer: 7/10, im not a fan of lecturers who make lectures compulsory and are strict to the point of not letting people leave the lecture half way through but regardless of that she was pretty good at explaning concepts and the 2nd lecturer was good as well and a lot more casual
    Interest: 7/10, some topics were interesting, some were just rote learning, some were flat out boring. It really depends if you like finance and learning about hedging strategies etc
    Overall: 6/10. Lecturers are the biggest snakes around, most of the questions in the quizzes they have are things they dont teach but content that is briefly mentioned in the textbooks. So if you want to do good in this course youll need to throroughly read the textbook and make sure you understand it well, the calculations they give you in the quizzes are also quite different from the easy examples they show you in class

Chem1011
    ease: 6-8/10. Some topics were very easy, others were hard, it really depends on your chemsitry ability. For example i found gases and the light topic easy since it was mostly theory but for acids i struggled a bit.
    Lecturer: 7/10 Some were better than others, i feel like some of the content they test you on is not covered by the relevant lectureres/lectures, but for the most part they do a good job at simplfying concepts.
    Interest: 6/10. I dont really like chemsitry so this is explanatory but if you like chemistry it will be interesting. Some topics were interesting though such as gases.
    Overall: 6-7/10 This cohort got lucky since our finals were EXTREMELY easy, so i expect they will make the finals a lot harder from now on. I also feel like a lot of people are left confused on a lot of concepts since they arent covered properly by the lectures and they expect you to understand it anyways.

Acct1511
    Ease: 7/10 - Kinda hard but a lot of it is memorising
    Lecturer: 7-8/10 - They cover the content and do their job but they are super boring and dull well i guess accounting in general is boring to me...
    Interest: 5/10 - Extremely boring, but i personally do not like accounting. A majority of this course is memorising slides and rules.
    Overall: 7/10 - The quizzes are usually alright with some poorly worded questions or tricky questions that catch you off guard, the finals were pretty fair as well and the lecturer covers the content decently but for some complicated topics they do a poor job in my opinion.

HSC

MATH1241
    Ease: 6/10 Calculus was fine, but I really struggled on Algebra (except for the probability/stats)
    Lecturer(s): Didnt go (probs why i did bad)
    Interest: 6/10
    Overall: 6/10

CVEN1701
    Ease: 8/10 . 50% finals, and 2 assignments 25% ea. Ass 1 was easy and just number crunching how much CO2 your household released and talk about it. Ass 2 once again easy just interpret some long journal article. Overall these assignments are easy and not your typical researching ones. Finals was surprisingly not that bludgy, you definitely had to at least go through the tutorial questions if you wanted to pass, and if you did it would be easy
    Lecturer(s): Various (Dont need to attend lectures at all)
    Interest: 5/10, pretty boring
    Overall:6.5/10

CHEM1011
    Ease: 7/10 (I did HSC chem, so i only had to learn the new stuff (which was only a few weeks of content I)
    Lecturer(s): Didnt go

CVEN1300
    Ease: 6/10. Funny story.Think this is the last semester you can do it, but basically I had a 90% weighted final. Wei Gao had this policy were if you didnt attend the 2 quizzes (20% each) and didnt do the assignment (10%) it'll be added on to the 50% final, hence making mine worth 90%. No medical certifcate/reason was needed, just dont attend and the weight would be automatically shifted to the finals. Me being a bludger throughout the semester and always behind, decided to skip all the quizzes and didnt even bother with the easy 10% assignment. Exam day comes, and Wei Gao gave a really nice and easy exam and had similar qs to past papers (Also keep in mind, that the dude is really nice and made it unlimited open book (which i abused the living hell by printing out all the solutions to past papers,tuts,etc)). So ye I did pretty good due to Wei Gaos kindness
    Lecturer: 6/10 Wei Gao, thick accent makes it hard to understand sometimes, but can tell he cares for his students

HSC
    N/A

COMP1511: Introduction to Programming

Ease: 7/10. There were like 3 times for you to get full mark for the practical components (Linked Lists & Arrays) which made them seem pointless. The final theoretical test was alright however the "practical" component could be better designed (marks distributed into more questions) as there was only one 'impossible' question which made me consider suicide. Also I don't have any fucking clue how the assignments were marked and got quite low compared to what I was expecting.
    Content: 10/10. Having no background on computing it was quite good and fun how the concepts learned were applied in the assignments.
    Lectures: Andrew Benett 7/10. Jashank 8/10. Both okay guys however Jashank projected his voice better. The lectures are recorded and uploaded on YouTube which is much better than Echo. The lecturers were quite eager to help and friendly as well as the other tutors in the lecture (Curtis, etc.). However, the lectures were consistently interrupted by the equipment not working as expected (Mics not working, projectors not displaying properly, computers not behaving) and if your lectures are like mine, come 30 mins after your class starts and you'll still be on time.
    Tutor/Labs: 9/10. I reckon all the tutors were quite good overall. A+.
    Overall: 6/10. Sadly it was definitely the worst course I've had to take so far. We did not get any of the assignment marks until months later (2nd and 3rd were released after Dec 1) and the practical test for the finals was above me.

MATH1241: Higher Math 1B

Ease: 8/10. Same as 1141, had great internals but didn't do so well in my finals
    Content: 8/10. Okay if you like maths I guess.
    Lecturers: ?/10. Shief/Mak?. Stopped going after 1st week. Quite dull impression so yeah can't comment.
    Tutor: 10/10. Not sure the name of my tutor but she was excellent at explaining the important concepts and was quite thorough.
    Overall: 8/10. Meh. I guess it was a bit better than 1141 as I found the maple component to be easier for the 1241 iteration.

ELEC1111: Elec & Telecomm Eng

Ease: 9/10. Honestly very easy course if you practice regularly. The content builds itself up onto the previous concepts so master the basics and you'll be sweet.
    Content: 10/10. LOVE THEM CIRCUITS.
    Lecturers: 10+/10. Arash Khatamianfar. Amazing guy, very knowledgeable and quite humble. The guy is very keen to help whenever he can and he truly seems to enjoy what he does. Cannot emphasize enough how good this guy is.
    Labs: 9.5/10. Very helpful tutors and the lab exam was quite easy if you've been paying attention the whole semester. Still don't know how to operate an OP-AMP tho.
    Tuts: 10/10. Had Arash and Michael Phillips (Lab Head Demo). TBH, Michael taught me everything important in the first weeks with such ease that I found the rest of the course easy so mad props to him. Arash was Arash so yeah.
    Overall: 10/10. Best course I've taken so far. Really tempted to switch into the electrical stream but it was mostly cause Arash.

MMAN1300: Engineering Mechanics

Ease: 7/10. Block tests at 7PM sometimes straight after a COMP test were not fun and lost lots of marks there. You should get 24 free marks tho by doing your homework (PSS) and by doing weekly moodle quizzes.
    Content: 8/10. Statics was a bit bland and but it got better once we got to dynamics.
    Lecturers: 9.5/10. David Kellermann. Quite good lecturer, explained clearly and did many example questions which is always good.
    Labs: 7/10. Annoying. On the last lab I got heavily penalized for not using MathLab to compare graphs even though in the lab sheet it said you could use EXCEL so I'm a bit salty about that. The lab templates were released a week before they were due and you basically could not do anything until they were released.
    Tuts(PSS): 9/10. Had Harrison/Ellington. Quite good at explaining things however would have loved if they did the questions before hand ;_;
    Overall: 8/10. Alright course but it can get sometimes really tricky. Would have loved if the marks for the block tests were released sooner. 12 major concepts which were each studied in a week and reinforced with PSS homework was a very efficient way of teaching so I'm pleased with that. The finals felt like a nightmare but overall were alright.

Wannabe COMP god
    HSC

^^thats a shame with COMP1511, It was pretty good with Andrew Taylor, despite being slightly impromptu. We had our marks come out at reasonable times.
    Enrolled in BSci(Computer Science) @ UNSW

haha i remember forum signatures those were fun

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread Information