New BE/ME Electrical Engineering @ UNSW (1 Viewer)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I'm interested in doing the course too.

Generally, instead of having to do the masters in two years after doing the bachelor's, the masters is integrated within so that it takes you 5 years to have done the bachelor and masters, rather than 6 if you do them separately.

After looking at the handbook, some subjects are different for the integrated masters in comparison to the normal 4 year bachelor degrees.

khoavo12

HSC
bump. Can somebody from UNSW please reply??? I really wanna know about this course.

akkatracker

HSC
Bump. Old thread, but i would really like to know more. :D
I chatted with a bunch of the EE staff members on Open Day and what I could gather is they're really trying to push the degree - even labelling it as their "flagship". The faculty seemed to speak very highly of it but then again of course they are going to.

I am yet to know of someone personally who has done it so can't shine any light on employment etc. but logically the ME shouldn't damage your opportunities.

D94

HSC
N/A
I am yet to know of someone personally who has done it so can't shine any light on employment etc. but logically the ME shouldn't damage your opportunities.
Why would it damage your opportunities?

The students doing BE ME tend to be the brighter students so there's usually more to their employment opportunities etc. than the name of their degree.

akkatracker

HSC
Why would it damage your opportunities?

The students doing BE ME tend to be the brighter students so there's usually more to their employment opportunities etc. than the name of their degree.
Sorry that didn't come out clearly.

I meant that it's not like the ME will make you a worse candidate.

100% agree with you.

IMO if you're a good enough candidate it's well worth considering

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

timmythelamb

HSC
I thought that I would update this post with something I wrote on Whirlpool (also after the advisory day). Hope this helps other students enrolling. :)

"On Advisory day, I got the option to talk to some of the lecturers teaching electrical at unsw at the advisory day, and was told that around 25% of its students currently undertake the BE ME degree. They were quite honest with how it won't really affect your job prospects on the long run because most employers won't know the difference between the BE ME and the normal BE degree. They told that it was more an opportunity to broaden your field/get access to more electives/more flexibility than you get with your standard undergraduate degree.

They also told me, that the best way to be employable as a graduate engineer is to do as much work experience as you can along with trying to get the best marks possible, especially if you want a chance at the bigger companies. I found this info really helpful, especially about the honesty between the two degrees. It would be awesome to hear people's advice on this :D.

Also bonus piece of info, it's cheaper to do a EE masters this way as you will get undergraduate fees which are way less than master fees during your masters year."

timmythelamb

HSC
Any thoughts on this? :)

Also, I was wondering how you reckon that people can increase their employability as they complete their EE degree? Sadly, I only applied for the Mech Engineering Co-op, and only recently discovered that I wanted to do electrical engineering, so I was kicking myself over that. So would it be a good idea trying to score internships by myself?

Thanks in advance :D

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
Any thoughts on this? :)

Also, I was wondering how you reckon that people can increase their employability as they complete their EE degree? Sadly, I only applied for the Mech Engineering Co-op, and only recently discovered that I wanted to do electrical engineering, so I was kicking myself over that. So would it be a good idea trying to score internships by myself?

Thanks in advance :D
Well if you are going to do Electrical and you're not in the Co-op Program, then you will have to - you have no choice but to find internships by yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)