Getting to uni (UNSW) (1 Viewer)

Glorious

HSC
So, I'm baffled by the whole 'how to get to uni' thought. I'll be a stuent at UNSW in just a bit more than a week for 4 days a week, and recently, my dad decides to throw the option of me having to drive there. I live in the western area of Sydney, and usually by train it'll take me 40 mins (via the east hills line) or close to an hour via the South line. Then you've got the 15 min bus ride to UNSW. My dad seems to be protective, so is encouraging me to drive there everyday. I tried weighing the pros of cons of getting there by car or simply taking the train, and the pros of the train seem to have outweighed the pros of driving there. My dad is willing to cover expenses for petrol/parking and all, which I find inconvenient. This is not the only problem, considering the fact that I will finish at peak hour for 3 days out of the 4 - so I'm really starting to question it all. In the morning, I'll have to leave, say 6.30 to make it to uni just before my class starts at 9, and I don't think this is preferable for me because i'd be waking up almost half an hour-an hour later if i were to catch the train. I don't know what to do! My dad is fixed on the option of driving there, but it's just not going to work! Also, I'm really worried about parking spaces at the Uni - which could potentially turn everything around. Please tell me what you guys think. I need to convince my dad that driving is not the better option in terms of conveniency, so please share your thoughts! Thank you guys.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yeah, as if you'd find a parking space at uni.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Do not drive lol

Unless you're willing to get there before 8am to get a spot, do not drive. It would be different if you had a bike, because there are specific bike only spots, but yeah.

Train and bus is easier and probably a bit better on price as well.

halapenyo

HSC
you have to consider that UNSW is in a very busy area close to the city. the traffic will be very heavy and also parking is limited as mentioned above.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Seriously, just get a train and bus - sheesh. Do your homework on the train or use it to hang out with friends or something.

mash121

HSC
i have never driven to uni but i heard that there is a 'secret' parking lot in the area that is pretty empty, i dont know where so dont ask. i would just go by public transport it seems easier anyways

Last edited:

TheStallion

HSC
There's a few areas nearby which always have free spots, just need to know where they are, search around and you'll find out.

Just try both and see what you like. Drive one day, train+bus another day, see which you like better. It's not rocket science.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
What's he getting worked up about? The City and the Eastern Suburbs are relatively safe areas of Sydney.

Public transport trumps.

Glorious

HSC
Hmm, thanks guys. At least i've been reassured that public transport is better, cause that was obviously my original plan in getting to uni... nonetheless, i'll still give it a try and see how it's like driving there. :)

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
What's he getting worked up about? The City and the Eastern Suburbs are relatively safe areas of Sydney.

Public transport trumps.
I know this thread is 6 years old but he/she said western not eastern.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)