What is the Talented Students Program? (1 Viewer)

tim-3vans

HSC
Hey all, long time reader of bos – first time poster!
This is for UNSW but I heard it was at USyd as well.
Someone from UNSW came and spoke to our school today about our future careers etc (you know course choice, how to apply blah blah blah) because we are year 12.
He also mentioned the "Talented Student Program"(and also said it went by another name but I can't remember what it was) but didn't elaborate much because he had to leave.
What is it? Is it just a title or more like and actual program? Do you join it in the first year (with a good ATAR)? Or other years of your degree (with good marks)?

TheStallion

HSC
A friend of mine was invited to it at the end of his first year. They generally want exceptional marks - at least a HD average. My friend had a WAM of over 90.

It lets you do a lot of research as a student (involved in doing *actual* research, coming up with your own research projects, etc) and pretty much gives you a free pass to do whatever the hell you want.

Or alternatively, y'know, do a 2 second google search.

http://www.science.unsw.edu.au/talented-students-program/

In other words, it's just an addition to the B.Sc for only the most talented kids. Never base your degree choice on getting into the TSP or not, because chances are you won't.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
What could you possibly be researching with a first/second year knowledge of science?...

TheStallion

HSC
No research allowed in first year, 2nd and 3rd only, and 2nd year is 2/3rds of the degree done, so there's plenty of things that a good student would be interested in researching. Remember these kids are the best of the best.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Just out of curiosity, is there a TSP equivalent for an Arts degree?
I don't see how it would work anyway. How can you be talented at something subjective?

Sure some people have flair in their essays etc, but the 'talent' from that would be nowhere near the talent from the ability of critical thinking and problem solving skills.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I don't see how it would work anyway. How can you be talented at something subjective?

Sure some people have flair in their essays etc, but the 'talent' from that would be nowhere near the talent from the ability of critical thinking and problem solving skills.
you're a fucking moron

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
you're a fucking moron
mate, stop being so sensitive and grow up, this is an opinion.

If you have a problem with it, then give me rational arguments as to why my opinion is flawed, as opposed to mindless insults. I will appreciate that more than whatever you're trying to achieve right now.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Yeah and it's horseshit retarded, like a lot of the other junk you post. You're incredibly ignorant to anything outside of your own degree and therefore that means it is "lesser" than yours.

Tell me exactly how you measure "talent"

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah and it's horseshit retarded, like a lot of the other junk you post. You're incredibly ignorant to anything outside of your own degree and therefore that means it is "lesser" than yours.

Tell me exactly how you measure "talent"
Out of curiosity, what degree are you studying? Judging by how defensive you are being, I'm assuming something Arts related (if not a B Arts).

I feel like this *heated* debate should move to PM, otherwise we will be flooding poor OP's thread.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Out of curiosity, what degree are you studying? Judging by how defensive you are being, I'm assuming something Arts related (if not a B Arts).

I feel like this *heated* debate should move to PM, otherwise we will be flooding poor OP's thread.
are you kidding me

you tell me to address your points and then ignore them

~reinforcing my point~

and I'm an Engineer, probably as far from Arts as you can get

HSC
Uni Grad

Arts subjects have lots of critical thinking and problem solving skills, especially philosophy and international relations. But then again, that's your own opinion.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
I still can't think of anything meaningful you'd be able to solo research even with two years of a BSc under your belt. Would you by any chance know where I could find more information on these projects?

HSC
I still can't think of anything meaningful you'd be able to solo research even with two years of a BSc under your belt. Would you by any chance know where I could find more information on these projects?
You'd just be a research assistant, helping current research projects of phd students, at least that is what I take from this. Not starting your own research.

Students are assigned an academic mentor based on their areas of interest in Science. Mentors provide their student(s) with the opportunity to participate in an active research group through attendance at research group meetings, allow participation in research (through the summer research scholarships programs after first year if possible), attend research seminar series and other activities within the school, encourage participation in a research internship or meet as determined between the student and mentor.
taken from http://www.science.unsw.edu.au/talented-students-program/

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
the kids who do it (if any) would/should know a lot more than just 1st/2nd year stuff. i.e. they would be doing their own readings on stuff during/after high school and learning their subject/field by themselves.

tabloid

HSC
Is it possible to get into this program without achieving 99.00+ ATAR or participating in any Olympiads? I achieved an ATAR of 98.30, but have conducted research at university and high school. Is it possible for me to get accepted into this program, as I would really appreciate any research opportunity provided to me...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)