UNSW Exams in a Marquee?? (1 Viewer)

oyuck

HSC
I'm new to UNSW; the exams are being held in Marquees??

Could someone please elaborate. Are these temporary structures or are they actually rooms?

TheStallion

HSC
Almost everything at the racecourse is permanent, they put up some new marquees this year though that they didn't have last year, so I assume those are temporary. Got an exam for one of my courses in one of the new ones, so they're probably for smaller cohorts only since the course only has about 70 people in it.

IamBread

HSC
Almost everything at the racecourse is permanent, they put up some new marquees this year though that they didn't have last year, so I assume those are temporary. Got an exam for one of my courses in one of the new ones, so they're probably for smaller cohorts only since the course only has about 70 people in it.
They are temporary whilst they build the new buildings.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
They're giant tents that they made so people can have exams in them. Before the construction, there were exams in various rooms in the grand stand and buildings around there.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
They're finally renovating the good awful racecourse buildings, so we've been kicked into tents in the middle of the racetrack.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
That's pretty much what the Oaks Lawn Marquee looks like. It's pretty good though. I had an exam there when it was raining, it held up fine.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
A marquee is jsut a fancy word for a tent.

oyuck

HSC
bom says that monday-wednesday will have rain and temps between ~12-19

yay
Oh great...I'd imagine that it'd be noisy, cold, and perhaps even wet O__O. Don't marquees just use the grass as the floor, and so if it rains, it'd be smelly and wet? :eek:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Oh great...I'd imagine that it'd be noisy, cold, and perhaps even wet O__O. Don't marquees just use the grass as the floor, and so if it rains, it'd be smelly and wet? :eek:
I think they'll have some sort of floor. They have to put whiteboards, stands, tables and chairs here for exams - of course.

Jonneeh

HSC
I think they'll have some sort of floor. They have to put whiteboards, stands, tables and chairs here for exams - of course.
I think they had faux-carpet last year. But really that should be the last thing you have to worry about.

Anyways, last year for god knows what reason they had the sprinklers on right next to the entrance/waiting area to go into the marquee for ECON1101. Now thats taking the piss.

oyuck

HSC
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

It's always good to have some idea of what to expect when you rock up to your first uni exam. Helps calm the nerves.

If anyone has anything to add, please do.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
May I also add: Don't leave early and use all the time you have.

I know lots of people like leaving early, but staying back and checking for extra marks... you know, that can boost your mark one or two.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
you should have got an email about the marqeee:

Dear Omar

Semester 1 2012 exams start on Friday 8 June.

Please read this important information before your first exam.

Venues

A number of temporary venues have been erected at the Racecourse, Marquee A, B, C, D, E

Access to these venues is only via a pedestrian tunnel, the entrance is near the Meeting Tree. Under no circumstances should students walk on the racetrack –please note that penalties apply for walking on the racetrack
Marquees A, B, C, D and E will open at 08:30 each day. Please wait near the entrance of the pedestrian tunnel (the area is undercover so there will be shelter available if the weather is wet)
Marquee F and the Oaks Marquee are to the left of the Meeting Tree. Students with exams in these venues do not have to use the pedestrian tunnel.
Please check the venue direction signs if you are uncertain
IMPORTANT:You MUST attend the exact venue specified on your examination timetable. If you go to a venue which is not on your personal timetable, you are disadvantaging fellow students and you will be in breach of exam rules
At the end of your exam please be considerate of others who are still sitting their exam and move quickly and quietly away from the temporary venue area
Transport / Parking

Parking is NOT available at the Racecourse
Pedestrian access is via gates on Doncaster Avenue or Alison Road. The High Street gates CANNOT be used and under no circumstances are you permitted to cross the race tracks.
Additional buses will be available and the Express Buses from Central will divert via the Racecourse on their way to UNSW
There is no shuttle bus service between the campus and the Racecourse
What can be taken into an examination

Pens, pencils, rulers, erasers, a mobile phone (switched off), a music player (switched off), a small money purse and valuables including a tablet or laptop computer (switched off) can be taken into your exam, but they must be in a re-sealable, colourless, transparent plastic bag and must be placed under your seat. Unsealed bags, tinted bags, plastic sleeves and similar are not permitted
You can also bring a small clear bottle of water with no label, an English language, or, in any exam other than a language exam, a bi-lingual English dictionary and any authorised materials into an exam
Authorised materials which may be taken into the examination room will be indicated on your examination timetable. These may include lecture notes, molecular models, special materials such as financial calculators and drawing instruments (compass or protractor), any hardcopy written examination materials or books (does not include calculators or computers), approved calculator, texts as prescribed, hand-held computer (does not include tablet, laptop, note or net book type computers)
Where an ‘approved’ calculator is required for a formal examination, you will need to use your own calculator. An ‘approved’ calculator must have an official approval label. If your calculator does not have an approval label it will be confiscated for the duration of the exam. Calculators are not provided
What can you NOT take into the examination room?

Food, medication, electronic dictionary, pencil case, bags, writing or any other paper, manuscript, book, or any material other than specified material into an examination room
Do not to leave valuables in bags adjacent to examination rooms as the University cannot guarantee their safekeeping - inside or outside of examination rooms. Bags are not allowed in the examination room. Personal valuables may be taken into an exam in a clear, re-sealable plastic bag which must be sealed and placed on the floor during the exam. Unsealed bags, plastic sleeves and similar are not permitted
Policies

You are expected to have read relevant UNSW policies before sitting your first exam. These policies can be found at: www.exams.unsw.edu.au

Assessment policy. This policy outlines the University's commitment to the design and delivery of assessment that facilitates achieving the specified learning outcomes of courses and programs
Academic Misconduct. The University regards academic misconduct as a very serious matter. You should read and be familiar with, the University's Academic Misconduct Policy. The University can impose heavy penalties if you breach its rules. You will have breached examination rules if:
- you sit your exam in the wrong venue
- you write during reading time or after the exam finishes
- your mobile phone, or an alarm on your phone, rings during an exam
- you take an examination paper from an examination room where it is specified that the paper is not to be retained by the student or you take an examination answer booklet from an exam room

Best wishes for your exams and other assessments.

Kind regards,

Professor Wai Fong Chua
Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Students)

UNSW Sydney, NSW, 2052, Australia
UNSW CRICOS Provider Code 00098G, ABN 57 195 873 179

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)