Gen ed? (1 Viewer)

jblack01

HSC
Hey guys, im thinkging of doing 1 of my 2 gen eds next sem but I'm having trouble deciding what to do.
I don't know whether i should do something that actually interests me and helps me out in the future or whether I just do a wam booster.

What are some good gen eds to do?
BTW i do civil eng so i cant do any gen eds from the eng faculty.

Cheers.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say go for a WAM booster, but that's just me. If you're interested in languages, you could try that out? An easy WAM booster if you like the language that you're studying.

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
I personally would go for something that'd be beneficial in the future
most go for wam boosters though. popular courses are astronomy and psychology of work. both online courses, needs minimal work to get high wam

HSC
Uni Grad
gen ed?

why not maths or something
Maths requires a significant load of work (contact hours too), although if they like it, well, why not I guess? :p

As for me, go for gen-eds that are actually useful, like a language, computing, MATH2871 (SAS), etc.

Even if you get destroyed in that particular subject, it won't be that bad imo. At least you know that you didn't just do the work just to get marks, only realizing that you never use anything that you have learned.

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
if you're going for useful, maybe you can try microeconomics :) easy subject too

HSC
Uni Grad
if you're going for useful, maybe you can try microeconomics :) easy subject too
Concepts are easy but assessment tasks aren't that easy, and the final isn't that easy (but not too hard either). It does scale down though, but by a bit.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say that a language is pretty useful though. And introductory courses are usually a piece of cake for languages, or so I've heard. Friend of mine took Korean 1A, learnt how to read Korean after two weeks. And in Japanese 1A, from what I heard, you just learn hiragana and katakana and, at most, 28 kanji. (Which isn't too difficult to learn, by the way. Especially since they teach you in English. My Japanese tutor taught me only in Japanese right from the start, since she didn't know how to communicate in English. And I still aced all of my tests.)

Not sure about the other languages, but I reckon that they're not too difficult if you're taking the introductory courses, which should be general education courses, if I remember right.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
well that's good to hear coz I'm thinking of doing Spanish!
Ooh, Spanish! I remember learning Spanish at a night school back in my home country when I was around 9 years old or so. The funny thing was, everyone around me was at least 16 years old. (Cue awkwardness.) I did pretty alright, though I had a really short attention span because I was so young. When learning Spanish, make sure to roll your tongue, and be careful with the masculine and feminine endings! (Y'know, like senior and seniorita.)

jblack01

HSC
Ooh, Spanish! I remember learning Spanish at a night school back in my home country when I was around 9 years old or so. The funny thing was, everyone around me was at least 16 years old. (Cue awkwardness.) I did pretty alright, though I had a really short attention span because I was so young. When learning Spanish, make sure to roll your tongue, and be careful with the masculine and feminine endings! (Y'know, like senior and seniorita.)
Haha thanks for the heads up! Yeah i'm looking forward to it.

davidji

HSC
Astronomy is really easy, with 0 contact hours and you can basically google the answers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)