Actuarial Studies/Maths Structure & Taking Leave (1 Viewer)

erckle999

HSC
Uni Grad
A few things that I would appreciate getting cleared up:

1. I plan on doing the combined actuarial studies / adv maths course (http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/unde...2013/3589.html)
My first question is do you know how to track down a typical study plan. I have found one for the old Bcomm(acturial)/ Bsci (not advanced). However, I am looking for one either for the new course B Actuarial Studies/ B Adv sci or the old Bcomm(actuarial)/B adv sci (which seems similar to the new course). However I have not been able to find one.

2. Following from that, how do I go about choosing my courses. In first year is there much flexibility? If so or if not, when I enrol am I told what I should/must enrol in for a semester?

3. If I get an offer on the main round (15/Jan), how do I proceed to enrol and choose all my classes.

4. I plan to take the second semester of first year (2013) off - do you have any experience knowledge of whether this poses any major structural problems to this or any course and who I should contact to find out for sure.

Thanks everyone

mash121

HSC
1. usually you can just do the first year courses in any order as long as they dont have prerequisites and are available (some courses are only available once a year in 1st or 2nd sem) followed by 2nd year subjects in any order as long as you have done prerequisites and they are available... it is best to just ask the faculty of actuarial studies what to do if you are unsure.

2.you choose your courses when you accept your offer in first round, when you accept your offer you will be asked to fill out a bunch of details and then it will ask you to pick your courses.

3. answered above

4. if you take 2nd sem off this will screw up your plan because in first year two important courses math1151 only offered in first sem and math 1251 only offered in second sem are compulsory and are prerequisites for other courses, so if you dont take math1251 you wont be able to take some of your 2nd year courses because you havent done the prerequisites subjects and math1251 is not offered in first sem, so you might waste a sem, i am not to sure to what extent you will be screwed but it will definitely screw you.

why do u want to take 2nd sem off might i ask

erckle999

HSC
Uni Grad
why do u want to take 2nd sem off might i ask
I want to take the second semester off because my original plan was to take the whole year off to work and then hopefully backpack somewhere. But I won a scholarship that cannot be deferred and taking the second semester off seems the only way I can keep the scholarship and get to travel a bit.

Is there any way that I could take the second semester off, and then in the first semester of 2nd year do electives/general education courses and then do the courses I would have done in first year sem 2 in second year sem 2 and then just go from there. Ie I will sort of join the year behind me's sem 2 first year and then just go from there?

mash121

HSC
I want to take the second semester off because my original plan was to take the whole year off to work and then hopefully backpack somewhere. But I won a scholarship that cannot be deferred and taking the second semester off seems the only way I can keep the scholarship and get to travel a bit.

Is there any way that I could take the second semester off, and then in the first semester of 2nd year do electives/general education courses and then do the courses I would have done in first year sem 2 in second year sem 2 and then just go from there. Ie I will sort of join the year behind me's sem 2 first year and then just go from there?
i am not sure because the b actuarial is a new degree and i dont know the requirements, i think it would be best to ask the people in charge for running the course and also you can make a booking with a first year advisor and they can make you a little plan of the first 2 years, though some people have told me that these advisors are lazy so they might not do it lol even though it is there job.though if you explain to them your whole issue with travel and such i am sure they will do it for you. other then that just look at the handbook and look through which courses you can take and when, uni is flexible with deferring so if the course are available and you have done prerequisite then its all good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)