Anyone travel from Castle Hill to UNSW??? What's it like? (1 Viewer)

Flea93

HSC
Would LOVE to go to UNSW for Advanced Science but can't get past the travel time. What's it like doing it every day?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Have a friend who lives near there.

She drives to Seven Hills and takes the train to Central, and then bus to uni.

Then again she's an Arts student so she probably just does that a couple of times a week - she doesn't think it's too bad. She just travels with friends on the train to make the trip more enjoyable - so when my timetable and her timetable matched up, we'd both catch the bus and take the train and all that. It was good, we caught up and chatted mindlessly about whatnot.

So moral of the story is: it's not that bad if you can pass the time well.

Flea93

HSC
You're doing similar to what I'd be doing...Advanced Science/B Arts. How full is your timetable. What time do you start and finish? How many days per week are you at Uni? Are any lectures available on line? How much lab work is there?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I have five days and around 17 hours a week. I try to put my classes between 11-4pm, but unfortunately since I'm in higher years now - lectures for obscure subjects start at 9 so I end up having 9-3 most days, usually with big breaks.

Maths lectures are usually not online. Only my Arts ones are online.

And no lab work for me, I don't do "Science" as in Chemistry or Physics or Biology or Geology. My science major is maths - so I do maths subjects, and my arts major is English - so I do English subjects (with a minor in Economics).

Flea93

HSC
Hmmmm.....it comes to this, is it worth all that travel for Advanced Science at UNSW, or just do ordinary BSc/BA at MacQuarie and possibly pick up the D/HD's instead of struggling in Advanced! Yet it seems a waste to be 20 plus marks over the cut off at Macquarie. I hate making decisions like this!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, that's something you'll have to figure out for yourself - and you should consult guides and go to Open Days and stuff to help figure that sort of thing out.

Also, you should ask yourself if you want to be challenged at a higher level. Like, I could've just done normal Science - and not forced myself to take Higher Maths - but I feel it's really made me step up my game and make me work harder now that I've taken Advanced Maths.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Hmmmm.....it comes to this, is it worth all that travel for Advanced Science at UNSW, or just do ordinary BSc/BA at MacQuarie and possibly pick up the D/HD's instead of struggling in Advanced! Yet it seems a waste to be 20 plus marks over the cut off at Macquarie. I hate making decisions like this!
Atar means nothing. Many people who get 99 atar fail first year science subjects etc.

Don't assume you will get D's and HD's as you probably won't (at either uni).

Flea93

HSC
True, but an ATAR is a reasonable indication of the intelligence/organisational ability/motivation of a student at a particular life-stage. No reason I can't maintain that, just as I know many who've completely flunked their HSC only to excel at uni. I took at mixture of Science and Arts subjects and it was my Arts/Tech subjects which got me those Band 6's. My Sciences just dipped into the Band 5's, so I worry about the work I'd have to put into an Advanced Science degree to maintain my GPA and the 4-5 hours travel per day and maintaining a social life. Macquarie is looking good!

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
You could catch a bus to the city from Towers and then bus from there to unsw

Flea93

HSC
Yup....1.5 hours on bus from Castle Hill to City, 20 mins bus to UNSW. Add on walking/waiting time = 2-2.30hrs. Awful.
You could catch a bus to the city from Towers and then bus from there to unsw

Dylanamali

HSC
What career are you seeking with your degree?

addoil

HSC
Anybody know how long it takes to ride a bike from Central station to Kensington?
Is it a difficult ride?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It's uphill from Central to Anzac Parade, and then... mostly good. Might take you half an hour?

But if you're at Central, just take the free bus, imo. (I say free because I assume most people would have MyMulti tickets)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)