Life in UNSW (1 Viewer)

Roy216

HSC
How's the atmosphere and social life of UNSW?

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Social life will mostly depend on you regardless of unis.

As for the atmosphere, everyone has different opinions so it's best if you pop in for a visit and see what it's like.

Roy216

HSC
Social life will mostly depend on you regardless of unis.

As for the atmosphere, everyone has different opinions so it's best if you pop in for a visit and see what it's like.
so what's your opinion?

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you like asians?

Yes -> you will enjoy UNSW
No -> you will not enjoy UNSW

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
so what's your opinion?
I like the atmosphere it seems pretty relaxing for me especially in the afternoon when you walk down the main walk way.

I find the social life pretty good. There are many student societies to get involved with and some of the events they run are fantastic. For example the Korean Student Association (I am not Korean and you don't have to be korean to join.) held weekly or fortnightly bowling events. It was a great way to get to know people. This was back in 2011. I didn't renew my 2012 Membership so I don't know if they still do it.

BSOC and LawSoc also have cruises (you dont have to be doing a commerce or law related degree to go).

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Do you like asians?

Yes -> you will enjoy UNSW
No -> you will not enjoy UNSW
unless of course you're in the arts faculty (like me!) in which case you must add the prefix "cauc" to "asians" in the question

---

More srsly, depends. If you are adamant in wanting to basement 24/7 and not talk to anyone then... social life will be more crappy than someone who, I dunno, talks to pretty much everyone imaginable and joins all the societies

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Atmosphere outside of class is just like walking around the City. It's not as if people will randomly greet you or chat with you. You can certainly try though.

Social life wise I'd say it's more luck than anything else. You might be enrolled in a class full of people who already know each other... or not. You might get along well with people first day or it might take a while or it might never happen. One thing you will find different to high school is that you won't see people as often, tutorial/lectures/society events happens weekly or less. Unless you be proactive and ask people out social life might be unpleasant.

Kittikhun

HSC
To add to that, the people at UNSW are generally very laid back and extremely friendly to everyone, regardless of your background; I've only met one snob whilst at uni (from the Arts faculty, by the way). This contrasts to USYD, from what I have heard from talking to numerous people from the West and South West of Sydney, where there are snobs and ponces aplenty.

mash121

HSC
unless of course you're in the arts faculty (like me!) in which case you must add the prefix "cauc" to "asians" in the question
this line made me lol so hard for all the wrong reasons haha

htp368

HSC
Nope. Not a lot of gl people here. Unless you are in the arts faculty.

HSC
Uni Grad
Are there good looking people there?
Not a lot I should say. There are quite a lot of decent looking ppl but rarely any superb looking ppl on the other hand.

But by all means, you shouldn't choose a uni too much based on that criteria. You're here to learn.

TheCardician

HSC
Social life is decent - you'll find many different kinds of people. But students can be very quiet at times; in almost every maths tutorial, whenever the tutor would ask a question, nobody would utter a word. Dead silence. Then there's the people who love to chat, have fun and be crazy. You'll find them in the Roundhouse. The funny thing is that nobody seems to care, so you can do whatever you want, pull pranks and have good drunk adventures.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)