UNSW Summer Vacation Research Scholarships (1 Viewer)

xing_1930

HSC
N/A
Link: http://www.science.unsw.edu.au/summer-scholarships

I'm interested in this for Psychology, for the summer of 2013-14.

How competitive are these, and what kind of selection criteria they would be using? Would selection be based exclusively on undergrad marks? Would they be looking for a certain WAM, or a certain average across my psychology subjects? Or would they take into account extracurriculars/previous research exprience as well?

I expect that applications will close around September 2013. What can I do from now til then to maximise my chances?

HSC
If I recall correctly, the application for these scholarships required a CV as well, which obviously means that the selection criteria consists of more than just the WAM; Summer scholarships which are based solely on WAMs like the ones from SOMS only required submission of the WAM and preferred program. These SVRSs are definitely competitive, and glancing at the 2011-12 recipients, only 3 psych scholarships were given, 2 of which were taken by students from other unis.

xing_1930

HSC
N/A
Thanks for your response :)

Hopefully you're right about the CV, maybe they'll notice my part-time job + volunteering activities and cut me some slack for my unspectacular marks. My WAM is mid 80s, which is certainly respectable, but I'm guessing not enough on its own to give me a chance at this scholarship.

One other thing I'm unsure of is how to go about contacting potential supervisors. The Chemistry school makes it easy, by providing a full list of projects and supervisors for prospective students to look at. At least a few other schools do this too, iirc. But the School of Psychology's notification says only this:

"To establish whether supervision for the above scholarship is available in your area of interest, you should contact members of Psychology academic staff whose research area coincides with your own."
There are so many academics at the school of psych, and I'm guessing that not very many of them would be making themselves available for the SVRS. The way I'm considering going about it is just picking some of the lecturers from my favourite topics so far and emailing them something along the lines of: "Dear Dr./Prof. XXX, will you be available for 2013-14 SVRS? I am interested in your particular field of study, enjoyed your lectures, and got a final mark of XX in [the course you lectured]."

^^^ Anything sound wrong with that approach? Should I really be telling them my marks upfront, without prompting? Seems a bit desperate. I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I was awarded a few of these during my times at UNSW. I think the best thing to do is to approach the academics first. The sample e-mail you had there sounds good. I would also attach your CV and full academic record. Once they reply you I would suggest you to go visit them in person so they get to know you. The trick is to make sure you will be picked FIRST if more than one applicant requests for the same supervisor.

xing_1930

HSC
N/A
Thanks, Survivor :). Do you reckon I should include a cover sheet (specific to the SVRS opportunity) with my CV? Or do you reckon that would be going overboard and work against me?

And by the way, how did you end up getting multiple SVRSs? Were they in different schools? I just remember reading that receiving an SVRS makes you ineligible to receive any more SVRSs.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
You can include a cover sheet but I feel that busy academics wouldn't be bothered reading it. Many of them just want to know that you are enthusiastic and have good marks.

I was offered three during my second year but I declined the ones from UNSW and USyd because somewhere else offered better condtions. In my third year I was offered two but I took up the UNSW one that time.

In some instances you are allowed multiple SVRSs from UNSW. I know a friend who has taken one every year since first year - you just need stellar marks really.

I would suggest apply to multiple places, unless you are sure you are going to get one from UNSW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)