Higher level classes advanced science? (1 Viewer)

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
This may be a stupid question, but just to verify, in advanced science is it compulsory to choose a higher level course if we have the option? I.e for my major, they recommend doing MATH1131 Mathematics 1A or MATH1141 Higher Mathematics 1A. Do I have to choose the latter? Thanks

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
If they've given you an option between two courses then you aren't required to choose the higher course. If they've specified the higher course only then you've got to choose that.

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
Ok, but it says in the handbook -

"Where offered in a particular major students must take higher versions of courses. Any variation to this must be approved by the Associate Dean (Undergraduate Programs) or nominee. This rule only applies to courses typically at level II and III in a major (or in some cases level I courses considered to be core for the major). It does not apply to fundamental knowledge building level I courses in a major. Not all Bachelor of Science (Advanced) majors have advanced level courses, but where a major does, Advanced Science students must take these higher level courses. Please refer to the Advanced Science stream entries in this Handbook which indicate where higher courses must be taken."

Sorry I think I'm not interpreting this correctly

effylove

carpe vinum
HSC
This rule only applies to courses typically at level II and III in a major

level I courses considered to be core for the major

so you don't have to take higher ones unless you're majoring in it/want to take it
simple
so if you're majoring in maths
obviously take higher level math courses because it'll probably be needed as a prereq for future courses

D94

HSC
N/A
Note: "This rule only applies to courses typically at level II and III in a major (or in some cases level I courses considered to be core for the major). It does not apply to fundamental knowledge building level I courses in a major. Not all Bachelor of Science (Advanced) majors have advanced level courses, but where a major does, Advanced Science students must take these higher level courses. Please refer to the Advanced Science stream entries in this Handbook which indicate where higher courses must be taken."

So if we take the Chemistry major for example, the Chemistry courses are specified to be "Higher", but the other Level I courses allow you to decide whether you want to take the higher course or not. In Chemistry, the CHEM courses are considered core for the major, whereas PHYS and MATH aren't, hence why you can choose the lower options.

Which major are you considering?

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
Note: "This rule only applies to courses typically at level II and III in a major (or in some cases level I courses considered to be core for the major). It does not apply to fundamental knowledge building level I courses in a major. Not all Bachelor of Science (Advanced) majors have advanced level courses, but where a major does, Advanced Science students must take these higher level courses. Please refer to the Advanced Science stream entries in this Handbook which indicate where higher courses must be taken."

So if we take the Chemistry major for example, the Chemistry courses are specified to be "Higher", but the other Level I courses allow you to decide whether you want to take the higher course or not. In Chemistry, the CHEM courses are considered core for the major, whereas PHYS and MATH aren't, hence why you can choose the lower options.

Which major are you considering?
Thanks for the help. I'm considering majoring in Climate Systems Science. How do I know what is considered core for this major?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)