B Commerce: Is it right to do the compulsory courses in the first semester? (1 Viewer)

Skeptyks

HSC
This shit is so confusing. Do many people do like 2 compulsory 2 flexible?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Yes. It's not actually confusing. It's just not high school, so no-one is there to hold your hand. If you really require someone to hold your hand, there are facilities on campus where you can go to get someone to help you organise your timetable and/or your life. Don't ask me where though, because I never used them; I just manned up and fumbled through like the 6,000 other students starting at UNSW every year.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes. It's not actually confusing. It's just not high school, so no-one is there to hold your hand. If you really require someone to hold your hand, there are facilities on campus where you can go to get someone to help you organise your timetable and/or your life. Don't ask me where though, because I never used them; I just manned up and fumbled through like the 6,000 other students starting at UNSW every year.
Amen.

HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2013/3502.html

I made my timetable based on the four compulsory core courses
ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A (6 UOC)
ECON1101 Microeconomics 1 (6 UOC)
ECON1203 Business & Economic Statistics (6 UOC)
MGMT1001 Managing Organisations&People (6 UOC)

Is that correct?
What majors are you intending to undertake? Because if you're not taking management or human resources major then I suggest to delay management until 3rd year.

Skeptyks

HSC
I manned up and figured out for myself :)

megaman64

HSC
what courses should i be taking if my major is finance?

HSC
Uni Grad
ACCT1501, ECON1101, ECON1203 and possibly FINS1613 or FINS1612.

Alternatively you could drop out the ECON or ACCT options and pick up the extra fins course if you dont intend to major in accounting or eco as a 2nd major.

htp368

HSC
I guarantee you you will hate at least one of those core courses. I heard that not many people like MGMT1001. Arts people do well in that course, where there is strict referencing. Do something else, like a free elective.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You go to the Handbook and find your degree. Then you click on your major - so in your case, Finance.

Then you get a whole list of courses you have to do, and all you do in your entire uni life is each semester - enrol in 4 or so of those courses until you've done the entire list.

If you have free electives - then choose whatever you want. If you have Commerce electives - choose whatever Commerce course you want.

For you, take ANY four Stage 1 course. So if you want to do all four compulsory cores in the first semester, go ahead. If you want to do four flexible courses - then go ahead. Plan your degree as you wish.

kennyb22

HSC
You go to the Handbook and find your degree. Then you click on your major - so in your case, Finance.

Then you get a whole list of courses you have to do, and all you do in your entire uni life is each semester - enrol in 4 or so of those courses until you've done the entire list.

If you have free electives - then choose whatever you want. If you have Commerce electives - choose whatever Commerce course you want.

For you, take ANY four Stage 1 course. So if you want to do all four compulsory cores in the first semester, go ahead. If you want to do four flexible courses - then go ahead. Plan your degree as you wish.
Is there a limit to how many courses you can take in a semester? I've chosen to do more than 4, would that be allowed?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
That's overloading. You're usually not allowed, I think - unless you have a good reason. So on your Handbook, you'll see 'max uoc per semester'. For me, it's 27. Any more, I have to apply - and they'll look at my marks and see if I'm capable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)