what courses do i enroll in? [psych] (1 Viewer)

pt1

HSC
i read the unsw handbook and it says;

Stage 1
PSYC1001 Psychology 1A (6 UOC)
PSYC1011 Psychology 1B (6 UOC)
PSYC1021 Intro to Psych Applications (6 UOC)
24 UOC free electives
6 UOC General Education

i can only find psyc1001 and psyc1021 but not psyc1011. also what do they mean by 24 UOC and 6 UOC?

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
PSYC1021 is probably a Semester 2 course.

As for 24/6 UoC it stands for Units of Credit. Each Level 1 course is usually 6 UoC.

When they say 24 UoC free electives, they mean essentially 4 courses that you have to do.

Stage 1 is usually your first year (which would make sense because 6+6+6+24+6 = 48 UoC = 2 full time Semesters).

Hence, you should probably do PSYC1001 + PSYC1021 and then two free electives or one free electives and a gen ed.

pt1

HSC
is it possible to choose an elective from the science stream and one from the arts stream?

Logjammin'

HSC
What degree are you doing? Electives in a science degree generally refer to courses in the Science faculty, but some Arts courses can count towards Science electives. Alternatively you could enrol in Arts courses for a suitable major/minor if applicable

pt1

HSC
im doing a b. of psychology. it has 2 streams - science and arts

plasticities

HSC
When you say arts stream and science stream are you referring to Elective stream A and Elective stream B?

plasticities

HSC
I think the free electives they give you can be taken from any faculty (as they're used for breadth requirements). The Psychology Electives, which can only be taken in third year, are used to satisfy the requirements of your degree (or sometimes major). You have to take two from stream A (science) and stream B (arts) each, so you can study courses from both.

HSC
N/A
i read the unsw handbook and it says;

Stage 1
PSYC1001 Psychology 1A (6 UOC)
PSYC1011 Psychology 1B (6 UOC)
PSYC1021 Intro to Psych Applications (6 UOC)
24 UOC free electives
6 UOC General Education

i can only find psyc1001 and psyc1021 but not psyc1011. also what do they mean by 24 UOC and 6 UOC?
My understand was:
- do 1a in sem 1
- do 1b in sem 2
- do 2021 in either sem 1 or 2
- you have 4 subjects of your choosing from the faculty of science
- 1 gen ed subject

that's what I told my friend who does psych. someone please tell me if i'm wrong, because she's made a timetable

pt1

HSC
wait so which electives are avaliable to me right now?

plasticities

HSC
From a quick look at the handbook I think PSYC1021 is only offered in semester 1, so make sure you enrol it to be safe.

The electives in those two streams are prefixed with a 3 which means that they're offered as third year subjects, so you won't be able to enrol in them now. From what I understand, those Psychology Electives you were looking at, are actually part of your core, so they are counted in your 90UOC for Psychology. Your Free Electives are pretty much any subject from any faculty (except they can't be classified as general education). They're part of your breadth, which essentially allows you to take classes in things that interest you other than what you already study. The ones available to you right now are those that are prefixed with a 1, since you're in your first year.

pt1

HSC
when i go to search for courses in business an error message comes up. but in the UAC book under major studies it goes "students may choose elective courses from science or the faculties of arts and social sciences and business"

plasticities

HSC
What kind of error message is it? You should be able to enrol in business courses.

"Students are not permitted to take GEN-coded courses to meet their free elective requirements" and "Free Electives are courses that can be selected from a large range of offerings, often any non-General Education course, but possibly limited to courses offered by specified faculties, or in specified subject areas." Since the UAC book specified science, arts and business faculties, you should be able to enrol in those.

pt1

HSC
edit; dumb post figured it out

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)