Course selection for Actuarial & AdvMath Dual Degree ? Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

YoYoWayne

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm taking the Bachelor of Actuarial / Science (Adv Math) - 3589 from 2013, and currently having no idea for the course selection during the online accepting (enrollment) process.
So here are some (silly) questions:

1. Does my dual degree have any General Education course?(say e.g. I want to study Japanese, if that could work)

2. I can find the 14 courses necessary for Actuarial Studies (and 7 courses are level 1 if I was right), but what about courses in Advanced Mathematics?
e.g. if I choose to study the following courses for semester 1:
ACTL1101 The Financial Life-Cycle
ECON1102 Macroeconomics 1
MATH1151 Maths - Actuarial & Finance 1A
FINS1613 Business Finance

Is that OK? I think there must be better options as I could be studying some courses for my Adv Math degree.

Any suggestions for combination of courses to study?
Thanks very much!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
1. Yes, if you total what you need for Actuarial and Maths and have some units left over, you can use those for Japanese.

2. For you, in year 1 you should do MATH1151, MATH1251 and possibly MATH1081. So just do those in first year and you're set for second year maths. After that, it'll depend on what major you do but by then you'll be comfortable enough with uni to know what you have to do anyway and how to set up your timetables.

HSC
I'm taking the Bachelor of Actuarial / Science (Adv Math) - 3589 from 2013, and currently having no idea for the course selection during the online accepting (enrollment) process.
So here are some (silly) questions:

1. Does my dual degree have any General Education course?(say e.g. I want to study Japanese, if that could work)

2. I can find the 14 courses necessary for Actuarial Studies (and 7 courses are level 1 if I was right), but what about courses in Advanced Mathematics?
e.g. if I choose to study the following courses for semester 1:
ACTL1101 The Financial Life-Cycle
ECON1102 Macroeconomics 1
MATH1151 Maths - Actuarial & Finance 1A
FINS1613 Business Finance

Is that OK? I think there must be better options as I could be studying some courses for my Adv Math degree.

Any suggestions for combination of courses to study?
Thanks very much!
I'm taking actuarial/economics, but I think the first year for all actuarial students (single or double degrees) is the same.

You're suppose to enrol in ACTL1101, ECON1101, MATH1151, FINS1613.

take a look at this link (scroll down to actuarial): http://www.asb.unsw.edu.au/currents...formation/Pages/newundergraduatestudents.aspx

YoYoWayne

HSC
Uni Grad
1. Yes, if you total what you need for Actuarial and Maths and have some units left over, you can use those for Japanese.

2. For you, in year 1 you should do MATH1151, MATH1251 and possibly MATH1081. So just do those in first year and you're set for second year maths. After that, it'll depend on what major you do but by then you'll be comfortable enough with uni to know what you have to do anyway and how to set up your timetables.
Thank you ! My course requires 240 UOC, whereas 96UOC are needed for BAct. and 144UOC for AdvMath, therefore does that mean no units left over & no other courses?

I'm taking actuarial/economics, but I think the first year for all actuarial students (single or double degrees) is the same.

You're suppose to enrol in ACTL1101, ECON1101, MATH1151, FINS1613.

take a look at this link (scroll down to actuarial): http://www.asb.unsw.edu.au/currents...formation/Pages/newundergraduatestudents.aspx
Thanks heaps for that! My other friend also suggested me to do MICROeconomics first.
BTW we had the same atar!!!! haha

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
No units left over means no other courses, unfortunately. Unless 'free electives' form part of the 96 uoc for Actuarial or 144 uoc for Maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)