Dual degree courses/timetables PLEASE HELP! (1 Viewer)

Chronicole

HSC
I'm doing b chemical engineering/b science and I absolutely have no idea what units I;m supposed to take. I looked at the science program in the unsw handbook but it doesn't even give out what courses there are. Chemical engineering does give out some idea of the program structure, in fact they lay it out quite nicely, telling you quite clearly what you're supposed to choose. PLEASE HELP!!!

D94

HSC
N/A
What is your intended Science major?

But anyway you should do your engineering courses for your first semester. Try to get the maths and chemistry done now because they are prerequisites for many later subjects.

Chronicole

HSC
What is your intended Science major?

But anyway you should do your engineering courses for your first semester. Try to get the maths and chemistry done now because they are prerequisites for many later subjects.
Are you referring to MATH1131 Mathematics 1A, MATH1231 Mathematics 1B, PHYS1121 Physics 1A, CHEM1011 Chemistry A, etc?

I was hoping to major in microbio for science but wanted to try a course in psychology, is this possible?

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
Are you referring to MATH1131 Mathematics 1A, MATH1231 Mathematics 1B, PHYS1121 Physics 1A, CHEM1011 Chemistry A, etc?
Yes, but you'll need to do MATH1231 in second semester because MATH1131 is its prerequisite. Also, ENGG1000 and ENGG1811 are commonly done in first semester, so you'll have 5 subjects to choose from (you typically do 4).

Chronicole

HSC
Yes, but you'll need to do MATH1231 in second semester because MATH1131 is its prerequisite. Also, ENGG1000 and ENGG1811 are commonly done in first semester, so you'll have 5 subjects to choose from (you typically do 4).
Is there are reason as to why ENGG1000 and ENGG1811 are usually done in first semester? Because all the other maths, chem and physics have prerequisites in the second semester.

D94

HSC
N/A
I was hoping to major in microbio for science but wanted to try a course in psychology, is this possible?
You can! You can do PSYC1001 in first semester as an engineering elective: http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/information-for/current-students/undergraduates/1st-years/electives (you are required to do 2).

Is there are reason as to why ENGG1000 and ENGG1811 are usually done in first semester? Because all the other maths, chem and physics have prerequisites in the second semester.
ENGG1000 is group project based on different engineering streams, the amount of options in second semester is considerably less.
ENGG1811 is computing, but on further inspection, the amount of students who do it in each semester is fairly similar.

You could possibly do PSYC1001 in first semester along with MATH, CHEM and PHYS. Then do ENGG1000 and ENGG1811 in second semester (since they aren't prerequisites).

Chronicole

HSC
You can! You can do PSYC1001 in first semester as an engineering elective: http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/information-for/current-students/undergraduates/1st-years/electives (you are required to do 2).

ENGG1000 is group project based on different engineering streams, the amount of options in second semester is considerably less.
ENGG1811 is computing, but on further inspection, the amount of students who do it in each semester is fairly similar.

You could possibly do PSYC1001 in first semester along with MATH, CHEM and PHYS. Then do ENGG1000 and ENGG1811 in second semester (since they aren't prerequisites).
Okay another thing I'm confused about is that each semester you are supposed to do 24 UOC, the engineering courses itself already take up 24 UoC?! O_O

D94

HSC
N/A
Okay another thing I'm confused about is that each semester you are supposed to do 24 UOC, the engineering courses itself already take up 24 UoC?! O_O
You can mix it up, do 12 UOC engineering, 12 UOC science or 18 UOC engineering, 6 UOC science or even 24 UOC science. It's up to you to decide what courses you want to do and how you plan your engineering and science degrees. Just make sure you follow the plans precisely, otherwise you may need to spend extra time at uni.

Chronicole

HSC
You can mix it up, do 12 UOC engineering, 12 UOC science or 18 UOC engineering, 6 UOC science or even 24 UOC science. It's up to you to decide what courses you want to do and how you plan your engineering and science degrees. Just make sure you follow the plans precisely, otherwise you may need to spend extra time at uni.
I just rang the school of eng and they told me that I have to do 24 UOC engineering in first yr and science units don't start till 2nd yr?

D94

HSC
N/A
I just rang the school of eng and they told me that I have to do 24 UOC engineering in first yr and science units don't start till 2nd yr?
It's because first and second semester is best used for subjects which are prerequisites. If you don't do them now, you may find it hard to structure your degree in later years. However, you can definitely do PSYC1001 in first semester this year, or next year (your 2nd year). PSYC1001 is a first year engineering elective, and you need to do 1 (the suggested elective is CEIC1000, but it's not compulsory). If you do PSYC1001, that can go towards your engineering or science degree, so it's quite beneficial especially if you are interested in it.

BTW, it's typically 24 UOC per semester.

Chronicole

HSC
It's because first and second semester is best used for subjects which are prerequisites. If you don't do them now, you may find it hard to structure your degree in later years. However, you can definitely do PSYC1001 in first semester this year, or next year (your 2nd year). PSYC1001 is a first year engineering elective, and you need to do 1 (the suggested elective is CEIC1000, but it's not compulsory). If you do PSYC1001, that can go towards your engineering or science degree, so it's quite beneficial especially if you are interested in it.

BTW, it's typically 24 UOC per semester.
Oh okay. Then would it be fine to do MATH1131, PHYS1121, CHEM1011 and PSYC1001 in first semester and then MATH1231, CHEM1021, ENGG1000 and ENGG1811 in semester 2? Are ENGG1000 and ENGG1811 available in semester 2 and how would you check this?

Chronicole

HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)