Coop Scholarship - Should my tone be formal or blog-ish? (1 Viewer)

emilios

HSC
Basically how formal should I be? Conversational, light hearted and offbeat or serious and professional?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I did mine professional but just overloaded my achievements and what I learnt from them.

Wasn't enough for an interview and I guess its related to the fact that they didn't see in me what they wanted.

They will want people who can bring stuff to the program, fit the requirements, bring stuff to uni, and not let them down at any stage.

So if you can't be formal from the beginning, how can they expect you to not let them down ever?

emilios

HSC
I did mine professional but just overloaded my achievements and what I learnt from them.

Wasn't enough for an interview and I guess its related to the fact that they didn't see in me what they wanted.

They will want people who can bring stuff to the program, fit the requirements, bring stuff to uni, and not let them down at any stage.

So if you can't be formal from the beginning, how can they expect you to not let them down ever?
Hmm see but that's my point I guess. If I'm just another "here's my acheivements and my feigned attempt at reflection" professional types, I risk getting lost in the crowd. I feel like employing an honest but upbeat tone will be more impacting. Like listen to one of the sentences I just chopped out: "Exemplified in my improved results from those reflecting average rankings in Yr 10 to ‘first in course’ in 5 subjects has justified my improved initiative". Like wtf does that even mean? It's so distinct from everything else I said and kills the flow.

Idk man this shits hard

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
At the end of the day, look at the sources of information you are getting in terms of what is best for your application.

You can't rely on me because I didn't even make the interview stage.

I am making suggestions to what I possibly could have done wrong, but I am still not sure (should of made that a bit clearer earlier).

However the way I see it is that you can stand out from the crowd by saying what you can bring to the program.

Don't be all "I did .... I was ....... I am....". A stand out would be someone with good intentions towards the program and how it suits them the most. Iirc there is a section "What can you do for the program?". That is a section where you can really earn yourself an interview. Its a point that assures whether or not you are worthy or not of the program.

Then again as I said before, don't rely on me too much as I never got an interview. Rely on someone you know or someone here who has received an interview or has been through the process. Give it time and someone with proper info will reply here hopefully. Alternatively you can ask a few people that you know of who have been through the process.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm see but that's my point I guess. If I'm just another "here's my acheivements and my feigned attempt at reflection" professional types, I risk getting lost in the crowd. I feel like employing an honest but upbeat tone will be more impacting. Like listen to one of the sentences I just chopped out: "Exemplified in my improved results from those reflecting average rankings in Yr 10 to ‘first in course’ in 5 subjects has justified my improved initiative". Like wtf does that even mean? It's so distinct from everything else I said and kills the flow.

Idk man this shits hard
Is there maybe something else you could mention where you showed initiative? Because you have to show your depth outside school. And school marks mean nothing to them, you just give it them as an indicator if you are going to acquire the 96 ATAR+

I remember chucking in the example that I decided to implement a cloud system for sharing resources and providing teaching assistance.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)