exam remark (1 Viewer)

jaechen

HSC
Just curious, has anyone ever gotten an exam reviewed/remarked and actually found that their paper had mistakes in the marking? Like what are the chances that the uni would make a mistake in the marking?

I'm considering appealing for one of my courses - FINS1612 (which I received a FAR lower mark than expected) but at the same time I'm thinking maybe I just bombed out the finals unknowingly. My reasons for appeal:
- The final exam was fairly straightforward in my opinion (I know I made a FEW silly mistakes but this should not justify all the marks I lost).
- The exam had a relatively small 45% weighting so after I saw my final mark and calculating my mark prior to taking the exam, I realised I must have lost A LOT of marks in this exam to get the mark that I did.
- A lot of content in the exam was a topic that was covered (with higher difficulty) in another course I took this sem (FINS2624) and it was one of my strongest topics (I received 80+ in that course) - again this is why I found the exam relatively straightforward.
- [this reason is very subjective but I'm just gonna throw this in here anyway] Some of my mates who crammed the course the night before and left out a few questions in the exam, ended up getting a lot higher marks than me.

At the end of the day I will accept my mark but I just wanna know if it's worth looking into and considering an appeal. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

a19901213

HSC
Once I received my result and result for one of my course was unbelievably low that I suspect something must have went wrong. I checked the mark for other assessments other than the final and then I realised lecturer forgot to include the result of final exam into my overall result.

I immediately wrote a e-mail to the lecturer and asked her to check whether the mark is correct or not. Day after I got reply saying she forgot to include the mark of final and she will fix it immediately lol.

Yeah so probably ask the lecturer to check it for you first otherwise I believe uni does charge you for remarking your exam

asi9

HSC
I like the inclusion of the last reason.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Definitely check it out with your course convenor at first. Then if in doubt and as a last resort, use the checking system.

jaechen

HSC
Yep I emailed him today. Really hoping they reply to student emails.

HSC
Uni Grad
It was half multiple choice and half short answers
Yeah, definitely get him to check it out - short answers is something you can check upon - seeing as there could be a very high chance he/she may have missed sections/mis-marked sections, etc.

jaechen

HSC
Depending on who it is, give them until maybe Tuesday or Wednesday before applying for an appeal.
Yeh I'll wait it out until Friday and then I'll probably appeal.

So I just looked it up and found this.

There are two types of reviews:

Type A: Checking a mark
An administrative check that a mark has been assigned for each component and that there is no error in the assignment of marks or the calculation of the final composite mark.
Type B: Re-assessment
An academic re-assessment of a piece of work. This will include a check of the addition of marks.

Would type A show me the marks I got in the different components (m/c, short answers) in the final exam and then re-add it? I don't think I will need a complete remarking of the test (type B) because I'm more leaning towards the possibility that they left out a section, rather than me doubting their marking criteria. Plus it's always possible that I just performed poorly in the test and so a remark would be useless.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
You said you felt confident with the exam though. If you really have to, go for Type A and then if you aren't satisfied Type B. That's what I would do if I was really unhappy about something.

Hillsdbdsndmldsl

HSC
I think first ask the course convenor for a check on all the component marks - I did that for 2 subjects. Then you can go further and try asking if they can let you have a look at the exam paper.

For the reassessment, I don't know the chance of getting a mark increase (if anyone else has managed to, plz let me know:)). I did a course where the final mark I deduced is ~20 lower than expected (60ish instead of 80ish). I've emailed the lecturer and I'm still waiting for response. I don't think there is much scaling with this course either according to some senior students. So what's the chance of success if I go thru the process? Is it worth the money?

Last edited:

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
I think first ask the course convenor for a check on all the component marks - I did that for 2 subjects. Then you can go further and try asking if they can let you have a look at the exam paper.

For the reassessment, I don't know the chance of getting a mark increase (if anyone else has managed to, plz let me know:)). I did a course where the final mark I deduced is ~20 lower than expected (60ish instead of 80ish). I've emailed the lecturer and I'm still waiting for response. I don't think there is much scaling with this course either according to some senior students. So what's the chance of success if I go thru the process? Is it worth the money?
Is this first year maths? They usually scale down and I've never heard of anyone getting additional marks

Hillsdbdsndmldsl

HSC
Is this first year maths? They usually scale down and I've never heard of anyone getting additional marks
Ah sorry, overlooked this haha. Yea I agree, the School of Math never approves of changes.

The course in question tho, is ELEC2134 (a 2nd Yr core subject for ppl doing elec eng, tele or comp eng). And yea, it's getting more and more mysterious, as the mark is not on the same par as my other elec courses I did this year. The course convenor told me that he can arrange for a check without requiring me to do anything, but he hasn't replied to my email since then (didn't even notify me of the outcome :\).

For the other 2nd year elec courses, I heard it's quite easy to check the marks, and most likely there would be some errors in marking (imagine a few ppl marking thousands of pages of equations and circuit diagrams within a week or so) and the lecturers will give back the marks, even if it's just 2 marks.

Now I'm just confused how to talk to the course convener coz it looks like he has totally forgot this stuff. Also he wasn't the lecturer/tutor in charge; the class was taught by some casual academic, which makes things more complicated.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)