Math1151 resources? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Anyone have any additional resources to use and practice, for the upcoming calculus test (next week)?

The 3 or 4 tests that UNSW has provided is nothing lol...

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad
There really isn't much you can use to prepare for these quizzes, apart from the Calculus Problem Set and past tests. Just do your best to understand everything that will be tested, that will ensure you can get the best marks possible. I can upload my quiz from last year so you may get a feel of the types of questions asked, since the given sample quizzes are quite outdated (+ much easier than now) and you may not really get similiar style questions. Going to past finals would also help a bit, since they provide solutions that you can refer to. But as I said, try to understand everything to the best of your ability, it will help you later on, even in 1251.

HSC
There really isn't much you can use to prepare for these quizzes, apart from the Calculus Problem Set and past tests. Just do your best to understand everything that will be tested, that will ensure you can get the best marks possible. I can upload my quiz from last year so you may get a feel of the types of questions asked, since the given sample quizzes are quite outdated (+ much easier than now) and you may not really get similiar style questions. Going to past finals would also help a bit, since they provide solutions that you can refer to. But as I said, try to understand everything to the best of your ability, it will help you later on, even in 1251.
Yes could you please upload last years quiz! The one's we received are pretty outdated

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad
They don't have answers, but I can type up some sample answers/guidelines soon so you can see how you go.

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad
NOTE: There is an error in the first question, I wrote "... in terms of sinh^2(2A)..", it should say "... in terms of sinh^2(A)..".

Will fix this soon.

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad
SOLUTIONS for the 2014 test are up! :)

Follow the link and let me know if there are any errors or something you're not happy with in terms of explanations etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q22hegzq1uu5uxt/AAB4rlHJkaWMsmaA6ML46HULa?dl=0

I will be updating this folder soon with more class tests for both Algebra & Calculus (+ solutions) as the year progresses so keep an eye out! Don't stress, this is your first MATH test and the questions should be pretty straightforward if you studied everything decently.

All the best and good luck for your first Calculus test this week! :D

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad
For those who have their first Algebra quiz in Week 6, I have posted my version of 2014 ALGEBRA Test 1 I did last year, so check the link out. I will also be posting sample solutions (+ additional resources from 2014) for the quiz during the mid-sem break. Let me know if any problems arise, till then, happy studying :)

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
For those who have their first Algebra quiz in Week 6, I have posted my version of 2014 ALGEBRA Test 1 I did last year, so check the link out. I will also be posting sample solutions (+ additional resources from 2014) for the quiz during the mid-sem break. Let me know if any problems arise, till then, happy studying :)
What is the relative difficulty of the next few calculus quizzes/and the final, compared to the first calculus quiz?

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad
What is the relative difficulty of the next few calculus quizzes/and the final, compared to the first calculus quiz?
Everything pre-final will generally be straightforward as long as you follow both the Calculus and Algebra tutorial problems regularly (+ MATLAB). So whatever you learn for your 2nd Calculus quiz, you will find that the questions for that quiz will be similar to the questions in the problem set for those topics covered. When finals come, 65% will be straightforward, but the rest can be quite tricky to solve in time, so you will need to practice those past finals and time yourself. If you can get a decent attempt at most questions and get them right, you will be on track for 85+. Even if you leave out 75% of a whole question, there is also a good chance that you could get HD if you answered most of the other q's right. It is a pretty hard course, but if you're motivated and put in a decent effort, you should be fine. The final exam, especially for 1151/1251, will play a HUGE factor in differentiating between D/HD students. There are heaps of students who will do really well pre-final and then just scrape a 75-80 overall, and there will be those who don't do as well pre-final but still manage to pull of a mark close to the 90's, so it always comes down to one's own effort which will ultimately define their final result.

Last edited:

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Everything pre-final will generally be straightforward as long as you follow both the Calculus and Algebra tutorial problems regularly (+ MATLAB). So whatever you learn for your 2nd Calculus quiz, you will find that the questions for that quiz will be similar to the questions in the problem set for those topics covered. When finals come, 65% will be straightforward, but the rest can be quite tricky to solve in time, so you will need to practice those past finals and time yourself. If you can get a decent attempt at most questions and get then right, you will be on track for 85+. Even if you leave out 75% of a whole question, there is also a good chance that you could get HD if you answered most of the other q's right. It is a pretty hard course, but if you're motivated and put in a decent effort, you should be fine. The final exam, especially for 1151/1251, will play a HUGE factor in differentiating between D/HD students, so there are heaps of students will do really well pre-final and then just scrape a 75-80 overall, and there will be those who don't do as well pre-final but still manage to pull of a mark close to the 90's, so it always comes down to one's own effort which will ultimately define their final result.
Thanks a lot for that write up :)

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad
SOLUTIONS to the 2014 Algebra Quiz 1 (Ver. 3b) are up :). I have also uploaded the first four chapters of the Algebra lecture notes from last year so that may be of help to you guys as additional reference. I will upload the last chapter (Probability) later in the semester. Let me know if there is anything missing or something that might not be clear in the sample solutions, so I can edit/fix it up.

Here is the updated link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q22hegzq1uu5uxt/AAB4rlHJkaWMsmaA6ML46HULa?dl=0

Within the next week or so, I will also be uploading some of the 2013 Algebra Quiz 1 tests (+ solutions) as well. Till then, happy studying! :)

Last edited:

mreditor16

HSC
Thanks a lot VBN! And just to let you know, this year, Dick is using the same lecture slides :) :)

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks a lot VBN! And just to let you know, this year, Dick is using the same lecture slides :) :)
That's gun, last year his lecture notes were pretty bad for 1251, so I assumed the same would happen this year, so it's pretty good how he is using Womersley's notes since they're actually comprehensive to follow.

mreditor16

HSC
That's gun, last year his lecture notes were pretty bad for 1251, so I assumed the same would happen this year, so it's pretty good how he is using Womersley's notes since they're actually comprehensive to follow.
Yeh Womerseley's notes are quite good!!! :) (Y)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)