Buses to UNSW (1 Viewer)

maysilees

HSC
Whats the wait time for buses to UNSW from central to get to 9am classes?

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
In the first weeks of semester, it's crazy at Eddy Avenue. I've waited for a good 30-40 minutes before (and was late for 9am class). There are alternative bus routes that will get you to uni such as the M50 or 39X buses.

mreditor16

HSC
In the first weeks of semester, it's crazy at Eddy Avenue. I've waited for a good 30-40 minutes before (and was late for 9am class). There are alternative bus routes that will get you to uni such as the M50 or 39X buses.
It's not that bad anymore, after Transport NSW increased the frequency of buses in late 2015. In first week or so, expect a wait time of fifteen to twenty minutes. But as the semester progresses, expect wait times of five to ten minutes. Also, note that wait times significantly depend on the time of the day - eg if you're heading to uni for an 11am class, it will be very common to have zero waiting time and instantly get on a bus.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on time and day

9am on monday expect to wait literally nearly an hour due to first year students being cunts and also long waiting times during rainy days and exam days

Best to skip 9am lectures imo

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Lol first semester first years are crawling all over the place so you can expect a 30 min wait at least

Later on they start skipping lectures so it becomes around 5 min

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
Or if you're a keen bean and are annoyingly enthusiastic you can go early and never wait more than 5-10 mins for a bus

(Inb4 berated by Square and Queen
I'M A NERD OK)

leehuan

HSC
If my first lecture is at 1pm on Monday I should be fine, right?

Also, can someone give me the short version of UNSW Express buses?

leehuan

HSC
I just don't know how they work eg pay, how much faster are they

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maysilees

HSC
so like when should i get to central for 9am classes? like 8:15? rekt

mreditor16

HSC
Or if you're a keen bean and are annoyingly enthusiastic you can go early and never wait more than 5-10 mins for a bus

(Inb4 berated by Square and Queen
I'M A NERD OK)
Yassssssss this is what I do as well!! *hi-5*

If my first lecture is at 1pm on Monday I should be fine, right?
Get to central at like 12:30 in the first few weeks, just to be on the safe side, and you should be able to make your 1pm lecture comfortably

I just don't know how they work eg pay, how much faster are they

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, all these express buses only accept prepaid tickets and Opal. You won't be able to buy tickets on board. If you catch express from Central to UNSW Gate 2 on a Concession Opal Card, it should cost $1.75 and take around 15 minutes. If you catch a 39X from Central to UNSW, it should cost $1.75 as well on Concession Opal, but it should take 20 to 25 minutes.

so like when should i get to central for 9am classes? like 8:15? rekt
Well, just to be sure, 8:15 isn't that bad of an idea in the first few weeks. But lines should drop off in later weeks, meaning you'll only need to get to Central at like 8:30 or something.

D94

HSC
N/A
Well, all these express buses only accept prepaid tickets and Opal. You won't be able to buy tickets on board. If you catch express from Central to UNSW Gate 2 on a Concession Opal Card, it should cost $1.75 and take around 15 minutes. If you catch a 39X from Central to UNSW, it should cost $1.75 as well on Concession Opal, but it should take 20 to 25 minutes.
Following on from this, you'll need a concession opal card for these prices, so on myUNSW, there is a section that allows you to obtain a concession opal card. However, you will also need a UNSW student card to prove you are the opal cardholder, which means you cannot use your concession opal card when you head to UNSW for the first time (as you won't have a student card yet).

You will need either a child opal card, or purchase a paper ticket just for that 1 day (single if you are getting your UNSW card, which also means you'll need to top up your opal card beforehand).

leehuan

HSC
Following on from this, you'll need a concession opal card for these prices, so on myUNSW, there is a section that allows you to obtain a concession opal card. However, you will also need a UNSW student card to prove you are the opal cardholder, which means you cannot use your concession opal card when you head to UNSW for the first time (as you won't have a student card yet).

You will need either a child opal card, or purchase a paper ticket just for that 1 day (single if you are getting your UNSW card, which also means you'll need to top up your opal card beforehand).
Thanks, but apparently I can get my zID card after 27 Jan? According to the getting started at UNSW website.

maysilees

HSC
thanks guys! appreciate your responses :) hope the line to get id cards isnt too long since im overseas until o week HAHA

D94

HSC
N/A
Thanks, but apparently I can get my zID card after 27 Jan? According to the getting started at UNSW website.
Yeah but in order to lawfully use a concession Opal card, you need to hold a UNSW student ID. You won't have that until you physically head into UNSW, for which you cannot use a concession Opal card to make that trip to UNSW. You'll need a child Opal card (if you are a minor) or use a concession paper ticket alongside your school concession card.

leehuan

HSC
Yeah but in order to lawfully use a concession Opal card, you need to hold a UNSW student ID. You won't have that until you physically head into UNSW, for which you cannot use a concession Opal card to make that trip to UNSW. You'll need a child Opal card (if you are a minor) or use a concession paper ticket alongside your school concession card.
Ah of course. Right I have to use a normal opal card that time first. Silly me.

D94

HSC
N/A
Ah of course. Right I have to use a normal opal card that time first. Silly me.
If you still have your high school card, you might be able to still buy a concession train/bus ticket. You could also try and get a child opal card (if applicable).

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
you can use a child opal card in conjunction with your uni student card AND concession sticker

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on time and day

9am on monday expect to wait literally nearly an hour due to first year students being cunts and also long waiting times during rainy days and exam days

Best to skip 9am lectures imo
agreed, expect these first yrs to be there again at the start of the sem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)