Page 100 of 102 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102 LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 2529
Like Tree503Likes

Thread: UNSW chit chat thread 2017

HSC

Re: UNSW chit chat thread 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Squar3root View Post
    Why does everyone hate trimesters, maybe give them a chance?
    If you want to do an internship during trimesters, you have to take the third trimester off. Meaning you only get to do 6 subjects a year. But you still have to do an online course or course during the third trimester to retain full time status.

All of it sounds fine, EXCEPT for this one problem. And it's a pretty big problem.

What's also going to be annoying is figuring out what subjects are offered when, as I'm guessing subjects won't be run every single trimester. So this could stuff your degree plan up and they even say that you're "grad might be delayed by up to 10 weeks".
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

HSC Biology Flashcards

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    If you want to do an internship during trimesters, you have to take the third trimester off. Meaning you only get to do 6 subjects a year. But you still have to do an online course or course during the third trimester to retain full time status.

All of it sounds fine, EXCEPT for this one problem. And it's a pretty big problem.

What's also going to be annoying is figuring out what subjects are offered when, as I'm guessing subjects won't be run every single trimester. So this could stuff your degree plan up and they even say that you're "grad might be delayed by up to 10 weeks".
    The bigger thing is that if you take a gamble, and then don't get the internship. Thus rendering a waste of a semester.

The only benefit I can see from trimesters is that if you want to do internships overseas, they're held in the northern summer (May-August) period and then you can take the semester off.
    B Engineering (Petroleum) / B Science (Mathematics, Statistics) @ UNSW

For Maths Tutoring inquiries, please visit here: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...d.php?t=281590

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMx View Post
    look at UTS
    uts was shit from the get-go

Quote Originally Posted by integral95 View Post
    I heard there's no mid sem breaks
    can confirm no mid sem break https://student.unsw.edu.au/new-calendar

but tbh what does everyone really do in a midsem break anyways

catch up on work from weeks 1-6 and go on a holiday

unsw is pretty tight with graduate companies like microsoft, google, etc so i reckon they would change their programs up a bit to accommodate for the change

if you take one semester off you can do 9 subjects per year for 2 years and that will allow you to take the semester off without being "behind"

there is also the option of extending your degree by one semester or year
    Free MX1 Notes: http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    TAFE Diploma of Technical Engineering @Ultimo Campus

HSC

uts was shit from the get-go

can confirm no mid sem break https://student.unsw.edu.au/new-calendar

but tbh what does everyone really do in a midsem break anyways

catch up on work from weeks 1-6 and go on a holiday

unsw is pretty tight with graduate companies like microsoft, google, etc so i reckon they would change their programs up a bit to accommodate for the change

if you take one semester off you can do 9 subjects per year for 2 years and that will allow you to take the semester off without being "behind"

there is also the option of extending your degree by one semester or year
    What your saying means that students only get to do one internship throughout their whole degree... this is why people are upset. The current semesters allows for internships every single summer.

And even if they do change things so we can do all semesters and internships, that means we only get an 8 week internship instead of the normal 12 week ones. And that's with no break. RIP the sanity of everyone doing that, constantly working with 4 week holiday max a year (guess full time workers have similar holidays... but point is it's worse than currently).

It is cool I guess we can more easily line up our break (by skipping a trimester) to do a summer internship overseas, but still comes with all the cons I mentioned.

I will see how I feel once we get these 'transition plans' at the end of the year.

HSC Biology Flashcards

HSC
    Uni Grad

What your saying means that students only get to do one internship throughout their whole degree... this is why people are upset. The current semesters allows for internships every single summer.

And even if they do change things so we can do all semesters and internships, that means we only get an 8 week internship instead of the normal 12 week ones. And that's with no break. RIP the sanity of everyone doing that, constantly working with 4 week holiday max a year (guess full time workers have similar holidays... but point is it's worse than currently).

It is cool I guess we can more easily line up our break (by skipping a trimester) to do a summer internship overseas, but still comes with all the cons I mentioned.

I will see how I feel once we get these 'transition plans' at the end of the year.
    I have not met one person who has done an internship every single summer. You just now have to plan out your degree in such a way that will allow you to take a semester off if necessary or extend your degree or however you want to do it.

the 12 week internship you mention comes with a one/two week break, it works out to be about the same if you do an 8 week internship according to the new dates here: https://student.unsw.edu.au/new-calendar-dates

it doesn't seem like that bad of a change imo

HSC

I have not met one person who has done an internship every single summer. You just now have to plan out your degree in such a way that will allow you to take a semester off if necessary or extend your degree or however you want to do it.

the 12 week internship you mention comes with a one/two week break, it works out to be about the same if you do an 8 week internship according to the new dates here: https://student.unsw.edu.au/new-calendar-dates

it doesn't seem like that bad of a change imo
    yeah cool we get it, it doesn't effect you, so who cares

HSC Biology Flashcards

Executive Member
    HSC

But what's the reason for UNSW to implement these new changes, isn't it fine as a semester?

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by si2136 View Post
    But what's the reason for UNSW to implement these new changes, isn't it fine as a semester?
    Make trimesters = take more people, do more courses per year. More $$$$$ for the uni. Uni is literally a ca$h cow right now.
    Mathew587 likes this.
    B Engineering (Petroleum) / B Science (Mathematics, Statistics) @ UNSW

For Maths Tutoring inquiries, please visit here: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...d.php?t=281590

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

moolah

Executive Member
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by 4025808 View Post
    Make trimesters = take more people, do more courses per year. More $$$$$ for the uni. Uni is literally a ca$h cow right now.
    So if people don't get into internships, and they skip out on their third semester, their degree would be extended by how long?

HSC
    Uni Grad

yeah cool we get it, it doesn't effect you, so who cares
    it doesn't really affect anyone, it will just take a bit of time to get used to the new system

HSC
    Uni Grad

So if people don't get into internships, and they skip out on their third semester, their degree would be extended by how long?
    probably 1 semester to make up for those missed subjects

or they can overload in the next year and do 9 subjects

HSC
    N/A

probably a year

Executive Member
    HSC

From a non-biased perspective, trimesters are less helpful towards students seeking for internships, as it disadvantages them from completing their degree early upon failure. On the other hand, trimesters allow students to finish their degree earlier, where the university allocates a third semester by forcing a 'summer school'. However, this program is unnecessary since capable and willing students can just overload and do summer school, which this new system disadvantages all types of students. In the end, everyone will get used to it, but it could be a point of consideration when choosing universities, where USYD doesn't do this system, but UTS and UNSW does.

HSC
    Uni Grad

you'll still have the same time as we do in the normal semesters but less holiday time at the end of the year. really the only thing that is going to affect is whatever you do in the summer holidays.

You can even do an internship concurrently with studies. You can pick 1 or 2 distance subjects in the 3rd semester and have an extremely long internship from end of 2nd semester to beginning of 1st the next year

HSC
    Uni Grad

and 4 weeks for stuvac/exams is pretty generous. You'd have a good decent break between semesters anyways

HSC

it doesn't really affect anyone, it will just take a bit of time to get used to the new system
    Um, I feel like I've made it clear it effects me. I will be doing internships every year. I need to be doing 8 subjects a year to graduate on time, doing only 6 makes me not graduate on time. Not doing an internship hurts my job opportunities.

HSC Biology Flashcards

HSC

I used to not give a f*** about trimesters because I work full time but on the off-chance that I quit or something I think it'll srsly mess things up

HSC
    Uni Grad

Um, I feel like I've made it clear it effects me. I will be doing internships every year. I need to be doing 8 subjects a year to graduate on time, doing only 6 makes me not graduate on time. Not doing an internship hurts my job opportunities.
    if you do an internship every summer that will only put 1 semester behind if you decide to do 6 subjects in 2019. 1 semester is not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things

D94
    HSC
    N/A

Why don't students just do 4 courses per trimester, instead of 3? Or 4 courses for 3 trimesters, thereby freeing 1 whole trimester.

I'd say it's easier to do 4 courses in 10 weeks than 5 courses in 12 weeks (if you were going to overload now).

If you're an average or above student, doing 4 courses in 10 weeks is more or less the same as 4 in 12 weeks.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by D94 View Post
    Why don't students just do 4 courses per trimester, instead of 3? Or 4 courses for 3 trimesters, thereby freeing 1 whole trimester.

I'd say it's easier to do 4 courses in 10 weeks than 5 courses in 12 weeks (if you were going to overload now).

If you're an average or above student, doing 4 courses in 10 weeks is more or less the same as 4 in 12 weeks.
    idk man I consider myself above average but it definitely takes me time to grasp concepts
    also mid sem break helps a lot

D94
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Queenroot View Post
    idk man I consider myself above average but it definitely takes me time to grasp concepts
    also mid sem break helps a lot
    I know it's not ideal, but there's very few options other than this or extending your degree. You'd be hard pressed to convince a company with a structured internship program to cut it in half for you. I guess you could take 2 courses in the first semester then 4 in the following. You could probably complete your internship (say it's 10 weeks) by the end of week 3 at uni, so as long as you choose courses that don't have assessments due that early, it might be doable.

HSC

Someone help me with discrete math

I am so behind.

HSC Biology Flashcards

HSC

Someone help me with discrete math

I am so behind.
    Message me!
    2015 HSC
    Mathematics 2U
    2016 HSC
    Advanced English, Drama, Maths 3U, Maths 4U, Music 2, Extension Music, Chemistry, Software Design & Development
    Currently studying
    Advanced Mathematics (Hons)/Computer Science @ UNSW (2017– )

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfActing View Post
    Message me!
    sliding into pms
    KingOfActing likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    other bos-ers have a penis pic sharing club and i'm debating whether i want in on it or not

~just so i belong~
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    who cares about your timetable - you should be going into uni every day to study and do whatever regardless

Thread Information