Dropping out (1 Viewer)

Zen2613

HSC
N/A
Hello,

I've accepted my UNSW main round offer, so I'll be going to O-week on the 22nd, but I'm still uncertain whether or not I want to do my degree. In the scenario that I decide that it's not for me, when is the deadline before I have to pay for courses?

Cheers.

Drsoccerball

HSC
Hello,

I've accepted my UNSW main round offer, so I'll be going to O-week on the 22nd, but I'm still uncertain whether or not I want to do my degree. In the scenario that I decide that it's not for me, when is the deadline before I have to pay for courses?

Cheers.
Am I wrong to say that you only have to pay for your course at the end of each semester if you complete it?

Zen2613

HSC
N/A
Am I wrong to say that you only have to pay for your course at the end of each semester if you complete it?
I doubt that you pay it at the end of the course, its probably at the start. Otherwise you could take the course, learn everything and drop out at the last minute. If you look up the census date for UNSW, it says all fees are due at the end of the first teaching period. No idea what the teaching period is though, I'm guess it's after O-week. Anyone know about this?

-Senpai

HSC
I doubt that you pay it at the end of the course, its probably at the start. Otherwise you could take the course, learn everything and drop out at the last minute. If you look up the census date for UNSW, it says all fees are due at the end of the first teaching period. No idea what the teaching period is though, I'm guess it's after O-week. Anyone know about this?
I think its within the first four weeks of sem 1 then it comes back some time later on in the year

If you drop the course prior to the census date you will avoid paying fees OR it will not be added to your HECS debt

mreditor16

HSC
Census date holds priority I think
Correct - "At census date, all UNSW students are financially liable for courses they are enrolled in for that Teaching Period. If you withdraw from any course before midnight on the relevant census date you will not be financially liable for that course. If you are approved to withdraw from a course after the census date, you will still be liable for fees due for that course, because the census date has passed." (https://student.unsw.edu.au/about-census-dates)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
The census date is around 30th of March and is the last day to drop anything without financial and academic penalty. I.e if you don't drop by that date you will be paying for the course regardless of whether you are doing it or not and you'll also have an academic fail on your transcript.

Flop21

HSC
What degree are you doing and what would you do instead?

mreditor16

HSC
The census date is around 30th of March and is the last day to drop anything without financial and academic penalty. I.e if you don't drop by that date you will be paying for the course regardless of whether you are doing it or not and you'll also have an academic fail on your transcript.
That's separate to the census date. There's another deadline later in the semester, before which you must drop the course, otherwise you get the academic fail on the transcript. For example, for this semester, according to UNSW website -

Semester 1 T1 deadline to drop WITHOUT academic penalty

24 Apr 2016, 11:59pm

Last day to discontinue T1 courses without academic penalty, resulting in a grade of NF

The census date for this semester, however, is -

Semester 1 census date: Kens/Padd (T1 & T1A) and ADFA (Z1)

31 Mar 2016, 11:59pm

Last day to drop T1, T1A and Z1 courses without financial liability

So say you drop the course on 5th April 2016 - you will be financially liable, but it wont be recorded as a fail on your academic transcript.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
That's separate to the census date. There's another deadline later in the semester, before which you must drop the course, otherwise you get the academic fail on the transcript. For example, for this semester, according to UNSW website -

Last day to discontinue T1 courses without academic penalty, resulting in a grade of NF

So say you drop the course on 5th April 2016 - you will be financially liable, but it wont be recorded as a fail on your academic transcript.
I swear it wasn't like this before or maybe I am confusing it with something else

Zen2613

HSC
N/A
What degree are you doing and what would you do instead?
BSc (Advanced Maths)/BSc (Computer Science)
Instead I would be definitely gaining some real experience working part/full time and even trying to start my own business. I just don't want to rush into uni, take on all that debt and then end up working in some boring office paying it back. I'd rather give entrepreneurship a go first, see how that goes for a year, and if it fails then I'd probably get my degree knowing that it's the best option.

Zen2613

HSC
N/A

Thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)