Stupid question but how do you join societies/extracurriculars? (1 Viewer)

pomsky

HSC
If you're away on O-week :s

And when do societies usually run? Is it like a weekly meet-up or..?

-Senpai

HSC
Join societies via the UNSW Arc website and then read the posts the societies make to keep up to date with meetings, events, etc.

http://www.arc.unsw.edu.au/

You should also go and get the Arc foil sticker they place on the back of your ID card

acronical

HSC
Arc themselves are completely fucking useless.

Join Arc to get the sticker and Arc pack itself. Other than that dw about them. Their street team are a pack of weirdos and act really high all the time but the freebies are ok.

If you really want to join a society keep in contact with the society's senior members. This is where O-Week is good because you can sign up for them. However, fear not! You can still reach out to different societies. Look them up online or on facebook or something and send out an email to a senior member in the society.

Join OrgSync and sign up to different societies. Some societies will provide updates through OrgSync. However, most don't even care about it. So don't rely on OrgSync to keep contact with the society. Personal contact through e-mail or phone is best.

Make sure you sign those sheets at society events. They provide the society with the chance to reach certain levels which Arc designates to them.

For many societies not much direct involvement is required (eg Elsoc, Mechsoc, etc) and you get a lot of benefits (BBQs, industry nights, etc). For many societies you'll need to put in some commitment if you want to make the most out of it. They may require monthly meet ups or meetings or just general stuff where the society does things which reflect what they are all about (example - all the fan based societies). Some societies will have more on the agenda and meet up weekly.

There are some other societies which will require an extraordinary level of commitment. These are usually the ones which run as a business or have large scale projects. Those are quite daunting to get into but the effort pays off. At first you might start up just going once a week or so but you can end up doing it as a daily thing, sometimes even like a full time job. Those ones really come down to the person themselves and their personal interests.

Any way, my point here is that there are different types of societies that do different things and offer different things. "Is it a weekly meet up" is not the best way to look at it. Rather, look at it as if the society is there and you can make the most out of joining the society by taking what it has to offer. The only thing you have to offer is your personal time and commitment. Some societies have much much more to offer than others.

Oh and the other point is that Arc is a piece of shit. Don't rely on them for anything. Societies are separate and do their own thing.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're away on O-week :s

And when do societies usually run? Is it like a weekly meet-up or..?
All depends on the society.

Which societies are you interested in? Are you joining as a general member or do you want to actually join the team/committee?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Arc themselves are completely fucking useless.

Join Arc to get the sticker and Arc pack itself. Other than that dw about them. Their street team are a pack of weirdos and act really high all the time but the freebies are ok.

If you really want to join a society keep in contact with the society's senior members. This is where O-Week is good because you can sign up for them. However, fear not! You can still reach out to different societies. Look them up online or on facebook or something and send out an email to a senior member in the society.

Join OrgSync and sign up to different societies. Some societies will provide updates through OrgSync. However, most don't even care about it. So don't rely on OrgSync to keep contact with the society. Personal contact through e-mail or phone is best.

Make sure you sign those sheets at society events. They provide the society with the chance to reach certain levels which Arc designates to them.

For many societies not much direct involvement is required (eg Elsoc, Mechsoc, etc) and you get a lot of benefits (BBQs, industry nights, etc). For many societies you'll need to put in some commitment if you want to make the most out of it. They may require monthly meet ups or meetings or just general stuff where the society does things which reflect what they are all about (example - all the fan based societies). Some societies will have more on the agenda and meet up weekly.

There are some other societies which will require an extraordinary level of commitment. These are usually the ones which run as a business or have large scale projects. Those are quite daunting to get into but the effort pays off. At first you might start up just going once a week or so but you can end up doing it as a daily thing, sometimes even like a full time job. Those ones really come down to the person themselves and their personal interests.

Any way, my point here is that there are different types of societies that do different things and offer different things. "Is it a weekly meet up" is not the best way to look at it. Rather, look at it as if the society is there and you can make the most out of joining the society by taking what it has to offer. The only thing you have to offer is your personal time and commitment. Some societies have much much more to offer than others.

Oh and the other point is that Arc is a piece of shit. Don't rely on them for anything. Societies are separate and do their own thing.
hey one of the arc street team members is really cute <3

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
nah

it means if you want to meet cute women, arc street team is an extracurricular you should consider :p

acronical

HSC
nah

it means if you want to meet cute women, arc street team is an extracurricular you should consider :p
No it means that if you want to learn how to act high and be fucking useless, join arc street team.

They need new people in charge of arc as they already failed to organise quite a bit of O-week stuff properly. They also have a bad system in general that is really inefficient when organising stuff. Arc is currently the equivalent of a pack of 10 year olds running a corporate business.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
No it means that if you want to learn how to act high and be fucking useless, join arc street team.

They need new people in charge of arc as they already failed to organise quite a bit of O-week stuff properly. They also have a bad system in general that is really inefficient when organising stuff. Arc is currently the equivalent of a pack of 10 year olds running a corporate business
it is pretty bad at times, yeah

2013 o-week i think was a pretty well organised one

this year was a shambles compared to that - getting the stall allocations on saturday night, meanwhile i think the year before, we got them well in advance

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
hey, there was a cute arc street team member at one of the bbqs who gave me a sausage

and i'd like to give her mine :detective:

<3 <3 <3

(she was asian, btw)

Kolmias

HSC
hey, there was a cute arc street team member at one of the bbqs who gave me a sausage

and i'd like to give her mine :detective:

<3 <3 <3

(she was asian, btw)
What about the white girls though?

froogle

HSC
N/A
lol - i do agree that arc are quite useless, other than giving $$ to societies. The street team don't do much, but in general you deal with societies more than arc.

As for societies - yes, just join their events by finding out about them on facebook, or emailing one of the heads directly.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
go to one of their events and u can sign up that way as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)